T Nation

Matt Duvall Passed Away

Unfortunately. He was only 40 years old.

Wow that sucks. What’s the cause of death… heart attack/stroke is my guess.

Wow, I remember seeing him in tons of old supplement “ad-reports” back in the day. Heard he’d gotten into wrestling, and then owned a gym… sucks going so young.

S

DC has posted about this.

The sport is fucked up, too many guys getting seriously ill and/or dying young.

Sad to hear this.

RIP Matt.

Wow, I actually forgot about him until I read this. He had those huge arms. RIP

RIP Matt. :frowning:

As an aside (sorry for the hijack), in trying to find cause of Matt’s death, I came across another forum with this ridiculous entry.

not that it’s my business, but MD had a serious painkiller addiction, his cause of death has been ruled as “overdose”

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
not that it’s my business, but MD had a serious painkiller addiction, his cause of death has been ruled as “overdose”[/quote]

A lot of worse ways to die than nodding to oblivion I guess.

I remember seeing him in the magazines when he turned pro. Always had a bulldog-ish physique and I mean that in as good a way as possible. And yeah, definitely too young.

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
not that it’s my business, but MD had a serious painkiller addiction, his cause of death has been ruled as “overdose”[/quote]

If this is true, damage to internal organs from pain killers would hit number two on my list of “things that are most dangerous in bodybuilding”…right after “diuretics”. You push your body to the max every single week (not to mention using pain meds for injections as a possibility) and you realize that use of pain meds is actually pretty common in bodybuilding.

Tylenol can cause kidney damage long before steroids do.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Tylenol can cause kidney damage long before steroids do.[/quote]

Yet almost everyone I know carries Tylenol wherever they go and pop one at the slightest twinge of pain. When my son was in school, I once heard a classmate tell her mom she had a headache. Without batting an eye the mom handed the kid Tylenol.

I never touch the stuff. Isn’t even in our house.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Tylenol can cause kidney damage long before steroids do.[/quote]

Yet almost everyone I know carries Tylenol wherever they go and pop one at the slightest twinge of pain. When my son was in school, I once heard a classmate tell her mom she had a headache. Without batting an eye the mom handed the kid Tylenol.

I never touch the stuff. Isn’t even in our house. [/quote]

That’s the problem. Steroids have the more negative stigma…and no multi-billion dollar companies behind it with stock on the line due to consumption.

You won’t hear of the hundreds dying a year from over the counter Tylenol…but you will get a front page story if someone like Benoit kills his family and EVER used steroids…while ignoring the empty MD 20/20 bottles on the ground.

From:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/820200-overview

Yet, you will notice that even on this site, the posters here jumped to the conclusion that “steroids” were the cause.

I wold doubt “steroids” are the cause of even half of the deaths in pro bodybuilding.

Munzer didn’t die because of “steroids”. He died because his use of diuretics turned his blood to syrup along with several years of massive drug consumption.

1 Like

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Tylenol can cause kidney damage long before steroids do.[/quote]

Yet almost everyone I know carries Tylenol wherever they go and pop one at the slightest twinge of pain. When my son was in school, I once heard a classmate tell her mom she had a headache. Without batting an eye the mom handed the kid Tylenol.

I never touch the stuff. Isn’t even in our house. [/quote]

Many prescription pain medicines also contain acetaminophen (tylenol), and people unknowingly take both their prescription pain pills as well as over the counter tylenol. Its a contributing factor to lots of liver failure.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
not that it’s my business, but MD had a serious painkiller addiction, his cause of death has been ruled as “overdose”[/quote]

If this is true, damage to internal organs from pain killers would hit number two on my list of “things that are most dangerous in bodybuilding”…right after “diuretics”. You push your body to the max every single week (not to mention using pain meds for injections as a possibility) and you realize that use of pain meds is actually pretty common in bodybuilding.

Tylenol can cause kidney damage long before steroids do.[/quote]

Are you implying that it would be unlikely heavy steroid usage over years and years, sometimes in up to TEN TO TWENTY times the intended clinical dosages, don’t cause health damaging side effects that over this lengthy amount of time won’t lend to an untimely death? You don’t think walking around with hypertension, hyperlipidemia, polycythemia, renal insufficiency, edema, ands other problems for years can’t play a part in someone dying an untimely death.

IIRC, CVS Drug Stores don’t even carry Tylenol anymore.

I thought it was said that he died from an overdose. We are talking about serious painkillers here (the stuff you can easily get addicted to), not some weak ass Tylenol.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
not that it’s my business, but MD had a serious painkiller addiction, his cause of death has been ruled as “overdose”[/quote]

If this is true, damage to internal organs from pain killers would hit number two on my list of “things that are most dangerous in bodybuilding”…right after “diuretics”. You push your body to the max every single week (not to mention using pain meds for injections as a possibility) and you realize that use of pain meds is actually pretty common in bodybuilding.

Tylenol can cause kidney damage long before steroids do.[/quote]

Are you implying that it would be unlikely heavy steroid usage over years and years, sometimes in up to TEN TO TWENTY times the intended clinical dosages, don’t cause health damaging side effects that over this lengthy amount of time won’t lend to an untimely death? You don’t think walking around with hypertension, hyperlipidemia, polycythemia, renal insufficiency, edema, ands other problems for years can’t play a part in someone dying an untimely death. [/quote]

bro… the simple truth is… steroid abuse, by itself doesnt kill.

it really doesnt

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
not that it’s my business, but MD had a serious painkiller addiction, his cause of death has been ruled as “overdose”[/quote]

If this is true, damage to internal organs from pain killers would hit number two on my list of “things that are most dangerous in bodybuilding”…right after “diuretics”. You push your body to the max every single week (not to mention using pain meds for injections as a possibility) and you realize that use of pain meds is actually pretty common in bodybuilding.

Tylenol can cause kidney damage long before steroids do.[/quote]

Are you implying that it would be unlikely heavy steroid usage over years and years, sometimes in up to TEN TO TWENTY times the intended clinical dosages, don’t cause health damaging side effects that over this lengthy amount of time won’t lend to an untimely death? You don’t think walking around with hypertension, hyperlipidemia, polycythemia, renal insufficiency, edema, ands other problems for years can’t play a part in someone dying an untimely death. [/quote]

bro… the simple truth is… steroid abuse, by itself doesnt kill.

it really doesnt[/quote]

I see your point. I don’t KNOW if it does or how it can be proven. But those conditions which can be caused by heavy use lead me to some speculation. That’s all.