Matrix Creators to Release New Film

Matrix Creators to Release New Anti-Totalitarianism Film

Check out the trailer:

Matrix Creators to Release New Anti-Totalitarianism Film

IMDB | December 7, 2005

In a story where Germany won a future World War and Great Britain is now a fascist state, a masked vigilante known only as “V” conducts guerrilla warfare against the government. When he rescues a normal young woman (Portman), she joins his struggle against the forces of oppression…

Set against the futuristic landscape of totalitarian Britain, V For Vendetta tells the story of a mild-mannered young woman named Evey (Natalie Portman) who is rescued from a life-and-death situation by a masked vigilante known only as “V.”

Incomparably charismatic and ferociously skilled in the art of combat and deception, V ignites a revolution when he detonates two London landmarks and takes over the government-controlled airwaves, urging his fellow citizens to rise up against tyranny and oppression. As Evey uncovers the truth about V’s mysterious background, she also discovers the truth about herself - and emerges as his unlikely ally in the culmination of his plot to bring freedom and justice back to a society fraught with cruelty and corruption.

The futuristic tale unfolds in a Great Britain that’s a fascist state. A freedom fighter known as V (Weaving) uses “terrorist” tactics to fight the oppressive society. He rescues a young woman (Portman) from the secret police, and she becomes his unlikely ally.

World War III has come and gone. In its wake, is left chaos. This chaos was quickly reigned-in by small insurgent groups who used fear, force and “faith” to subdue an entire nation, forging a new, “Greater” Britain. It is in this brave new world that V (Weaving), a mysterious, masked, swashbuckling figure, saves the young Evey Hammond (Portman) from unspeakable tortures, and takes her under his wing, into the Shadow Gallery; a world that may prove to be full of tortures of its own.

All the while, bodies have been piling up within the ranks of the England’s fairly new but powerful government. All the murders are connected, far deeper than any mere affiliation with any governmental branch. These killings are vastly encompassing, but acutely personal. It is a vendetta: In a totalitarian state, the government has the people convinced that a single “terrorist”, V, would have them under siege.

But V would stand to say that he is showing the people that they have been under siege by their government. V is out to avenge individuality, and reclaim freedom for the people, even at the expense of their happiness. We are all in prison, and he is “showing us the bars”. The lines between hero and villain do not blur, but become frighteningly clear and you will become uneasy, at times, when you find yourself cheering for V.

That is, anyway, if the film is anything like the graphic novel. Find out for yourself, and read the novel, by Alan Moore, first. “England Prevails”, under one law or under chaos.

I thought this film looked pretty interesting when I saw a preview for it a few weeks back, but I had no idea the Wachowski brothers wrote the script for it. Highly intriguing.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
I thought this film looked pretty interesting when I saw a preview for it a few weeks back, but I had no idea the Wachowski brothers wrote the script for it. Highly intriguing.[/quote]

…as long as they don’t overdo the computer enhanced graphics. That worked well for a movie about being trapped in a computer regulated reality, but I doubt it would work as well outside of that.

The premise does sound interesting. Hopefully they don’t screw it up as bad as the last two Matrix films. The Wachowski brothers may be a one-trick pony.

They are not the matrix brothers anymore. Andy Wachowski is getting a sex change. no seriously…

No political commentary?

[quote]baretta wrote:
They are not the matrix brothers anymore. Andy Wachowski is getting a sex change. no seriously…[/quote]

The only response to this is:

“Is he getting a sex change, or was he already a woman and the rest of the world simply hadn’t accepted it yet?”

That is about a Wachowskian as I can get given the topic.

No fair!!!

I thought we weren’t allowed to use freedom fighter and terror in the same sentence. What are you thinking?

Clearly, this movie is going to be pure science-fiction with no metaphorical relation to current world events.

[quote]AZMojo wrote:
No fair!!!

I thought we weren’t allowed to use freedom fighter and terror in the same sentence. What are you thinking?

Clearly, this movie is going to be pure science-fiction with no metaphorical relation to current world events.[/quote]

Very true mojo.

Move along people, we are not trying to convince you that terrorists who bomb indiscriminately might not be such bad guys after all. We do not want you to feel that your individuality is more important than your adherence to the laws which govern society. Shows over. Keep moving.

Otherwise, sounds like a pretty cool movie…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Kuz wrote:
I thought this film looked pretty interesting when I saw a preview for it a few weeks back, but I had no idea the Wachowski brothers wrote the script for it. Highly intriguing.

…as long as they don’t overdo the computer enhanced graphics. That worked well for a movie about being trapped in a computer regulated reality, but I doubt it would work as well outside of that.[/quote]

From what I saw of the trailer, it did not look like one of those movies long on FX and short on plot… let’s hope that bears out.

[quote]Cunnivore wrote:
AZMojo wrote:
No fair!!!

Clearly, this movie is going to be pure science-fiction with no metaphorical relation to current world events.

Very true mojo.

Move along people, we are not trying to convince you that terrorists who bomb indiscriminately might not be such bad guys after all. We do not want you to feel that your individuality is more important than your adherence to the laws which govern society. Shows over. Keep moving.

Otherwise, sounds like a pretty cool movie…[/quote]

Read the book before you make comments which truly have nothing to do with the plot/theme of he work, kay?

[quote]harris447 wrote:

Read the book before you make comments which truly have nothing to do with the plot/theme of he work, kay?
[/quote]

Yeah, all you jerks quit trying to form an opinion about this damn movie until you’ve seen it! Come to think of it, never EVER make a joke about a movie preview without reading the book first and then thouroughly studying the biography of the author. Otherwise you’re just an uninformed jackass!

NO OPINION FOR YOU!!!

[quote]Cunnivore wrote:
harris447 wrote:

Yeah, all you jerks quit trying to form an opinion about this damn movie until you’ve seen it! Come to think of it, never EVER make a joke about a movie preview without reading the book first and then thouroughly studying the biography of the author. Otherwise you’re just an uninformed jackass!

NO OPINION FOR YOU!!![/quote]

Yeah, you are kind of an uninformed jackass. You turned a deep and complex work about freedom vs. totalitarianism into yet another bullshit conservative rant.

Read the book.

the Wachowski’s are only co scriptors when the say matrix creator they special effects team excutive producers that kind of shit, V is pure alan moore,
for the brits out there you gotta love the guy fawkes reference

Remember, remember, the fifth of November,

The gunpowder treason and plot.

I know of no reason why gunpowder treason

Should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes,

'Twas his intent

To blow up the King and the Parliament.

Poor old England to overthrow.

By God’s providence he was catch?d

With a dark lantern and burning match.

Holloa boys, holloa boys, let the bells ring.

Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!

Hip hip hoorah!

Hip hip hoorah!

[quote]harris447 wrote:

Yeah, you are kind of an uninformed jackass. You turned a deep and complex work about freedom vs. totalitarianism into yet another bullshit conservative rant.

Read the book.

[/quote]

Mea maxima culpa!

Meanwhile, you took one stupid joke about a movie trailer/press release and turned it into an attack on what you assume are my political views. I would say that makes you seem like an anal snob, but of course that would be an ad hominem attack, and even an uninformed jackass such as myself is above such petty things.

I’ve already stated that the movie looked like it would be a good one. If that proves to be the case, then I may consider reading the book when I get the time. Thank you for the advice.

Oh, and lighten up.