T Nation

Mastodon- Crack the Sky

There are always alot of music threads, but an album I’ve really been getting into lately is this one. On their prior albums Mastodon (in my opinion of course) made good albums, each with its own set of really good songs and then alot of ok songs. In an interview I read, they stated something to the extent that on this album they had finally nailed the sound they wanted, not just seven individual songs but an album.

I have to completely agree here, each rift is amazing and it is pieced together in one epic masterpiece. Anyone else share this affinity for this album? Also what other albums are there like this? I have also been getting in to Zeppelin, specifically physical graffiti. If anyone is a fan of Zeppelin or has any musical appreciation for their style, i would give Crack the Sky a try, to me it seems to be a more modern style of Zeppelin and a bit heavier.

Aren’t they the band that did the musical intro to Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Colon Movie Film for Theaters?

If so, fuckin’ A. Full homo.

The album is worth the money. I do my share of downloading but I wanted to support them. Good album.

They remind me of Yes. The guitar noodling sounds like Steve Howe… could be just me.

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
The album is worth the money. I do my share of downloading but I wanted to support them. Good album.

They remind me of Yes. The guitar noodling sounds like Steve Howe… could be just me.

[/quote]
what do you reccommend from yes or Steve Howe? Also did you notice that in alot of the singing he does he slurs the words together matching the whole being sucked into space theme. I couldnt figure out why i loved the vocals so much until recently and thats it, the words really blend together nicely and slowly.

[quote]Vash wrote:
Aren’t they the band that did the musical intro to Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Colon Movie Film for Theaters?

If so, fuckin’ A. Full homo.[/quote]

yes but that is not how this album sounds at all thats mostly a funny thing they did for the movie, i wouldnt base your opinion of them on that.

I really like Crack the Skye. Effin’ rocks man.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
I really like Crack the Skye. Effin’ rocks man.

[/quote]

Indeed! You think it cant get better, but it is somehow even greater after mary jane comes over haha

[quote]bignate wrote:

[quote]bond james bond wrote:

[/quote]
what do you reccommend from yes or Steve Howe? Also did you notice that in alot of the singing he does he slurs the words together matching the whole being sucked into space theme. I couldnt figure out why i loved the vocals so much until recently and thats it, the words really blend together nicely and slowly.[/quote]

It’s 70’s prog rock so the singers will never be confused thats for sure lol. But if you like some Zepp than maybe Yes. The similarities are mostly odd time signatures and great rythym section. Long interludes etc, you get the picture. I warn you alot of Yes is boring but that was there sound.

These are some songs: Rounabout, Long distance runaround, Heart of the sunrise, Don’t kill the whales, Tempus fugit, Starship troopers. Like I said, it gets tedious but fuck the songs are eight minutes long lol.

On the title track of CTS, at about the six minute mark it sounds just like Steve Howe of Yes.

Man I can’t believe Yes was brought up in a thread about Mastodon … i guess I see it lol … Owner of a lonely Heart FTW!!! Especially acapella from the Breakup!! Gary with the kick drum, come come, with the kick drum … hahaha

they are awesome, and im going to tsee them tomorrow at the roundhouse!

sick

i have not listened to them in a while but “blood and thunder” is one of my favorites

I fucking love this album! It has to be one of the top albums of 2009 for me. Lucky for me I got to see them live with Dethklok(awesome live) where they played the whole album start to finish. It was mind blowing!