Master's Olympia

Has anyone seen the line-up for this year’s Master’s Olympia? There are some real legends competing. How many remember Andreas Cahling? He placed in a bodybuilding contest in 1969! 1969! How many of you guys were even born then? Plus Samir Bannout, not exactly a spring chicken himself. Amazing. I’m very curious as to what kind of shape these guys can get into at such an age.

Same year Dexter Jackson was born!

I used to read muscle magazines with Cahlng on the cover! Man, I feel OLD!

[quote]superdad4 wrote:
Has anyone seen the line-up for this year’s Master’s Olympia? There are some real legends competing. How many remember Andreas Cahling? He placed in a bodybuilding contest in 1969! 1969! How many of you guys were even born then? Plus Samir Bannout, not exactly a spring chicken himself. Amazing. I’m very curious as to what kind of shape these guys can get into at such an age.[/quote]

Right-on,I am with you.In 1988 Al Beckles at 58 competed in the Olympia.He had ab’s that looked like thick steel band’s,and a small waist,as their was no hgh,Budda belly. If you like the Golden Era,check out Ric Drasin on you tube.Ric was Arnold’s training partner and Pro wrestler.A nice guy and has interview’s with the older guy’s that are still with us. see ya john

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I used to read muscle magazines with Cahlng on the cover! Man, I feel OLD!

[/quote]
That’s when BB was exciting. Man, I couldn’t wait till the new Muscle and Fitness/Flex/Musclemag came out.

Rich Gaspari was Lee Haney’s training partner and Shawn Ray just turned pro… Damn… I’m old, too.

It’s nice to see some other guys here that appreciate the BBers of that era. I know today’s guys are bigger, leaner, more vascular, etc., but nothing motivates me like pics of Arnold, Sergio, Lou, Franco, etc. I’ve heard it said that the cars you like in your early teenage years will always be your favorite. Maybe it is the same with your favorite bodybuilders. By the way, I own a 1972 Corvette.

Here’s a list of the Masters Olympia competitors…

1. Sean Allan ? Matawan, New Jersey
  2. Troy Alves ? Glendale, Arizona
  3. Mark Antonek ? Wesley Chapel, Florida
  4. Lee Apperson ? Daytona Beach, Florida
  5. Lee Banks ? Jacksonville, Florida
  6. Robert Belisle ? Edmonton, Ontario, Canada
  7. Alberto Bistocchi ? Milano, Italy
  8. Andreas Cahling ? Oceanside, California
  9. Gianluca Catapano ? Benevento, Italy
  10. Darrem Charles ? Trinidad
  11. Constantinos Demetriou ? Australia
  12. Jerome Ferguson ? Venice, California
  13. Toney Freeman ? Canton, Georgia
  14. James Hampton ? Acworth, Georgia
  15. Ralf Herget ? Hanau, Germany
  16. Timo Honkala ? Finland
  17. Dexter Jackson ? Jacksonville, Florida
  18. Tricky Jackson ? Louisville, Kentucky
  19. Dennis James ? Peoria, Arizona
  20. Jocelyn Jean ? Boca Raton, Florida
  21. Michael Kefalianos ? Australia
  22. Marc Lavoie ? Quebec, Canada
  23. Rod Ketchens ? Sioux City, Iowa
  24. David Marinelli ? Palm City, Florida
  25. Edward Nunn ? Anderson, Indiana
  26. Ronny Rockel ? Germany
  27. Chuck Sanow ? Chicago, Illinois
  28. Bill Scarnaty ? Woodridge, New Jersey
  29. Sergey Shelestov ? Moscow, Russia
  30. Bill Wilmore ? Hollywood, Florida
  31. Nathan Wonsley ? Tampa, Florida
  32. Bud Woodruff ? Stuart, Florida

Ooh! My money’s on Troy! Well, he’s the one I WANT to win anyway.

Although not the biggest, the guy is just perfect!

I’d love to see Chuck Sanow take it. I watched him compete decades ago in Illinois. He was great then.

dex

Dex is never out of shape. How old is that pic, Walkie?

Dexter Jackson…the winner!
He looked great…sharp, full, and what awesome shape.
So many fans deride him for “looking the same all the time”, but when you already have the total package, why oh why would you want to change?

Toney Freeman also looked great, as did Dennis James (seems to be lacking some calves in some pics I’ve seen though).

Hmmm thought that Toney looked flat and was holding water in the back and Dennis had really poor gut control. Would have liked to see Troy Alves place much higher then 9th. Ed Nunn should have been second imo. Dexter just killed it this is the best Dexter since 2008.

[quote]Matthaeus wrote:
Hmmm thought that Toney looked flat and was holding water in the back and Dennis had really poor gut control. Would have liked to see Troy Alves place much higher then 9th. Ed Nunn should have been second imo. Dexter just killed it this is the best Dexter since 2008.[/quote]

X2

Always liked Dex. Definitely the best he’s looked in a while. Just a very complete physique.

S

ID, this is for you. Is this how you remember Andreas when he was 24 (1976).

and here he is at the Master’s age 60. Not bad, eh?

Holy shit! He looks awesome! I had not seen any pics of him in almost 30 years!

Hard to believe he’s a vegan. Well, if he still is.

Thanks for posting those, Superdad!

Fuck.

That is how I want to look at 60.

I will be the hottest mutherfucker at the retirement home.