Masters for a Copper

If I can swing things right, then I will have my bachelors when the spring of 07 ends. At least I hope so. That puts me at a month shy of twenty, and I can’t become a certified law enforcment officer until I am 21. That gives me a year, so I am going to get a job at the prison here in topeka until I hit 21.

I So, I want to give myself on all the other Puddin` Heads coming out of college with a bachelors in Criminal Justice. I was wondering if some of the policemen on here would reccomend a good masters or a good second bachelors to work on for someone who aspires to become a federal law enforcement officer. To some, it may seem like the answer is just to get a masters in criminal justice, but I have heard that it doesn’t help you if you have already got a bachelors in Criminal Justice.

Accounting. The Feds love accountants.

[quote]doogie wrote:
Accounting. The Feds love accountants.[/quote]

I have heard that lawyers and accountants are where its at. I wish law school were cheaper. I also wish law school wasn’t populated by little slimy creatures that couldn’t pass for a man compared to pee-wee herman.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
doogie wrote:
Accounting. The Feds love accountants.

I have heard that lawyers and accountants are where its at. I wish law school were cheaper. I also wish law school wasn’t populated by little slimy creatures that couldn’t pass for a man compared to pee-wee herman.[/quote]

Umm, I went to law school. It was free, though. I can sum it up for you: IT’S NOT YOUR FAULT.

Stab yourself with a rusty spoon? It’s not your fault the spoon wasn’t labeled with a warning.

Trip over your own shadow? It’s not your fault the school system didn’t teach you better walking skills.

And on and on and on.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
the state law says that Alcholic Beverage Control investigators can’t be older then 19 1/2. [/quote]

So right now you snitch on the guys that sell booze to the teenagers?

You look like a super trooper!

I think you should be one of those cops who rides a bike on the boardwalk and wears grape smuggler shorts.

Seriously though, how about a geography degree (rocks for jocks). It’s easy and I know there has been tremendous growth in the field of GIS and crime analysis. It could open some doors for you in the future.

GIS = Geographic Information Systems

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:
the state law says that Alcholic Beverage Control investigators can’t be older then 19 1/2.

[/quote]

You bastard!! Yuure a sick man you know that, not everyone “remembers” to bring their i.d with them.

[quote]bigroman wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:
the state law says that Alcholic Beverage Control investigators can’t be older then 19 1/2.

You bastard!! Yuure a sick man you know that, not everyone “remembers” to bring their i.d with them.[/quote]

Technically, I don’t snitch. I walk in, and I try to purhase alcohol, either at a bar or a liqour store. If they sell, then I walk out and hand it to the Agent. If its a bar, I call them on the phone and ask them what time they are meeting me here, and they come in and send me outside.

So no, I am not a snitch. I am just a dumb kid that buys beer and they get in trouble if they dont card me. I also look for and report violations such as gambling machines(illegal in kansas) and cigarette machines in locations that are accessable to minors.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
bigroman wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:

You bastard!! Yuure a sick man you know that, not everyone “remembers” to bring their i.d with them.

Technically, I don’t snitch. I walk in, and I try to purhase alcohol, either at a bar or a liqour store. If they sell, then I walk out and hand it to the Agent. If its a bar, I call them on the phone and ask them what time they are meeting me here, and they come in and send me outside.

So no, I am not a snitch. I am just a dumb kid that buys beer and they get in trouble if they dont card me. I also look for and report violations such as gambling machines(illegal in kansas) and cigarette machines in locations that are accessable to minors.[/quote]

Everything that starts with “technically I don`t snitch” is probably snitching.

“Snitches get stiches” sorry Fifer, but that’s the code of tha streetz!

Umm. The rules are that I can’t influence the clerks in any way, and that I have to answer all questions honestly. So, if the clerk does what they are legally mandated to do, which is to NOT sell to anyone under 21, then they get a letter telling them they did a good job from the state.

About half of all clerks do their job and card me. I think we all can agree that people under 21 in bars don’t mix, they are the least experienced drivers and are more likely to cause accidents when they have been drinking. I just enforce a law, I don’t neccessarily agree with one way or another.

With all the horrror stories and date rapes and what not, it is probably better to get alcohol out of the hands of minors. Its better that I check the Clerks and the Bartenders, and they get a Little fine, then Little Johnny getting and MIP, and MIC and possibly a DUI.

In regards to your original question, I think the best answer is for you to determine what type of federal law enforcement job that you are interested in. Obviously, there is so much more than just the FBI. Depending on your interests will somewhat affect the path that you take.

For instance, if your interested in attempting to be hired by the DEA you might want to consider a degree in toxicology. If you are interested in the FBI anything will be a benefit only becuase you will have to work your way through their different levels.

Any specialized training that you may want to acquire will be based on their protocols. Having a master’s degree in any type of Biology, Psychology, or basic Criminal Justice program will definately help get the ball rolling.

I am currently recieving my masters degree from the University of Louisville in Justice Administration. Essentially it’s just a criminal justice degree with a different name but other students that I have worked with have found the degree to be helpful in attaining federal positions.

[quote]tpa wrote:
“Snitches get stiches” sorry Fifer, but that’s the code of tha streetz![/quote]

I got slugs fo snitches, Oww well I live in Canada so youre snitching doesnt affect me.

once again, what I do is not snitching. I am statuetorally empowered to enforce the checking of I.D.'s and the restriction of sales to minors.
I was thinking about getting a second bachelors first of all, one in Forensic Investigation, but I dont really want to be stuck in a crime lab.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
once again, what I do is not snitching. I am statuetorally empowered to enforce the checking of I.D.'s and the restriction of sales to minors.
I was thinking about getting a second bachelors first of all, one in Forensic Investigation, but I dont really want to be stuck in a crime lab.[/quote]

How are you not snitching, if you dont get carded you go and tell youre little cop buddies waiting outside or w/e i dont know how this works, the whole non-snitching thing would be to not tell the authorities.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
I was thinking about getting a second bachelors first of all, one in Forensic Investigation, but I dont really want to be stuck in a crime lab.[/quote]

BTW do you drink the alcohol or automatically leave if he gives it to you.

Sorry Barney but you’re a snitch and are also preventing ugly chicks from getting laid.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
bigroman wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:

So no, I am not a snitch. I am just a dumb kid that buys beer and they get in trouble if they dont card me. I also look for and report violations such as gambling machines(illegal in kansas) and cigarette machines in locations that are accessable to minors.[/quote]

So you report gambling machines too? Come on man, I am hereby revoking your right to light fireworks on the fourth. If you can look yourself in the eye at the end of the night after ratting out people selling booze to kids, then that’s fine. But this other stuff you’re talking about is why cops suck and why we no longer live in a free country. You sound like the cops in New Orleans who violated the constituion by taking guns from the homes of peaceful people trying to protect themselves. I mean, if you report illegal gambling machines, then you’re nothing more than a filthy compliance officer who goes around and tickets people for having fences that are too tall or unregistered dogs or kids for not wearing a helmet on their bicycle. Be a man and take a stand for what’s right instead of a nice little career.

Mike

[quote]Mikeyali wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:
bigroman wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:

So no, I am not a snitch. I am just a dumb kid that buys beer and they get in trouble if they dont card me. I also look for and report violations such as gambling machines(illegal in kansas) and cigarette machines in locations that are accessable to minors.

So you report gambling machines too? Come on man, I am hereby revoking your right to light fireworks on the fourth. If you can look yourself in the eye at the end of the night after ratting out people selling booze to kids, then that’s fine. But this other stuff you’re talking about is why cops suck and why we no longer live in a free country. You sound like the cops in New Orleans who violated the constituion by taking guns from the homes of peaceful people trying to protect themselves. I mean, if you report illegal gambling machines, then you’re nothing more than a filthy compliance officer who goes around and tickets people for having fences that are too tall or unregistered dogs or kids for not wearing a helmet on their bicycle. Be a man and take a stand for what’s right instead of a nice little career.

Mike[/quote]

great post.

I would have been all over that snitch job at his age.

I’d snitch and when asked what job I had, I’d say “I’m a snitch and I get paid to rat on people and it’s fucking great.”

There is nothing wrong with snitching on dumbasses who are too incompetent to work in a freaking conveinence store or behind a bar.

It’s social Darwinism.