Masters 40-49 Newbie

I’m 6’4" and I weigh 235lb on stage. I have a pretty good idea of my problem areas, but any observations, tips, or encouragement would be appreciated. I am hoping to add some quality mass over the next six months before cutting down again.

[quote]wildefusco wrote:
I’m 6’4" and I weigh 235lb on stage. I have a pretty good idea of my problem areas, but any observations, tips, or encouragement would be appreciated. I am hoping to add some quality mass over the next six months before cutting down again.[/quote]

Looking strong old man!

I started lifting in high school, continued in college as a football player and tried to maintain over the past 18+ years since I graduated. Never took steriods. Last year I discovered bodybuilding, so I am inspired to workout hard like I did as a young man!

For the benefit of the group, my meals go much like the following:
Meal #1: 4 eggs, 2 dry wheat toast, 1 banana
Meal #2: 1 c. oatmeal with scoop of NitroTech protein
Meal #3: Tuna with 2 rice cakes
Preworkout: 1 scoop Pumpfuel
Workout
Postworkout: 1 scoop NitroTech w/1 scoop CellTech
Meal #4: Chicken breast with banana
Meal #5: Chicken or Tuna with small salad
Meal #6: Chicken, beef, or fish with mixed veggies or potato
Bedtime: 1 scoop of NitroTech

I also take fish oil and flaxseed oil with meals #1, #3, and #5. Omega Cuts and Xenodrine when cutting. Sometimes I take Luekic, but the jury is still out on its effectiveness for me.

I try to workout six days a week on a 3-day cycle.
Day1: chest and back, legs (deep, high reps), abs
Day2: arms, legs (deep, high reps), abs
Day3: shoulders, legs (deep, high reps), abs
Repeat
Everday: deep, high-rep legs, abs, 15 min cardio (increase up to an hour when cutting)

I am 41 years old now and I’m not sure where I will go with bodybuilding. Trying to figure out my potential and the feasibility of me continuing in the sport.

[quote]wildefusco wrote:
I’m 6’4" and I weigh 235lb on stage. I have a pretty good idea of my problem areas, but any observations, tips, or encouragement would be appreciated. I am hoping to add some quality mass over the next six months before cutting down again.[/quote]

If you can’t tell, I’m on the left… and those trunks are red, NOT PINK!

You need to bring up your forearms (!!!)
your bis and tris,
your upper traps,
widen your lats,
get bigger quads and hamstrings
grow some glutes

You really dont look 235…if you were a normal height of around 5’9 to 5’10 I would say you were 180 max.

[quote]celtics2022 wrote:

You really dont look 235…if you were a normal height of around 5’9 to 5’10 I would say you were 180 max.
[/quote]

That doesn’t make sense. If he was average height of course he’d be 180, but he’s not, he’s 6 foot 4.

Anyhoo you’ve got a great physique for an old timer, especially if you only started bodybuilding last year. Your conditioning is damn good too.

Your weakest point are obviously your legs, they are pretty poor. Although I’m sure you have a seriously hard time bringing em up at that height. Just keep hammering them with high volume like you’re doing and see what happens.

You look great guy…keep rock’n!

naturally you’re going to look a lot smaller than you really are due to your height & length, but with time that can be overcome. You’re chest looks great, definitely one of your strongest points along with your inner back. Get those arms up a bit & bring the shoulders with them, Bigger shoulders will overshadow any weaknesses in lat width. Especially focus on the front delts, rear delts look great. Keep working hard big man, looking great so far!

your bis and tris,
your upper traps,
widen your lats,
grow some glutes

[/quote]

…coming from a guy whom lacks MASS and/or DEFINITION in ANY of the aforementioned muscle groups.

p.s. wilde, your upper/inner back looks fantastic!!
Delts and chest as well

[quote]melanieamber12 wrote:

your bis and tris,
your upper traps,
widen your lats,
grow some glutes

[/quote]

…coming from a guy whom lacks MASS and/or DEFINITION in ANY of the aforementioned muscle groups.[/quote]

Elaborate?[/quote]

you look like you’ve spent about 2 weeks in the gym. so, your post comes off as complete douchebagary. i hope that helps to elaborate

Your chest is wide! Probably wour best body part. I’m curious about what your routine looks like for the chest and if you stretch them a lot. I also don’t think that his bicep and tricep are lacking, it’s just due to the angle of the picture, bodybuilding is all about posing in a favorable angle! Seriously you have a great physique no matter how old you are, you are an inspiration keep up the good work!

You look GREAT man, Obviously with Long Limbs its hard to make your Legs look Big especially your calves, as well as your arms. But you have done very well so far for a Natural Lifter, 235 on stage is very respectable.

Can I ask you if that diet you posted is your pre-contest or is that how you eat normally cuz I think thats a little low on calories for someone your size to be gaining mass.

Also do you plan on remaining natural?

You have a REALLY good base here, keep at it. I hope I look that good when I turn 41! Good Luck to you

your bis and tris,
your upper traps,
widen your lats,
grow some glutes

[/quote]

I don’t disagree that I could use more mass, especially if you are comparing me to Jay Cutler or Dennis Wolfe. Not sure if I’d like to be THAT big even if I could. Hard to comprehend what that would take. Here’s a pic of front double-bis with the most of the others in my Open Hwt Class. I entered Masters and Open divisons in this contest. Great experience. Thanks for the comments.

[quote]melanieamber12 wrote:
p.s. wilde, your upper/inner back looks fantastic!!
Delts and chest as well[/quote]

I appreciate all the great comments and words of encouragement from everybody. They really help.

[quote]CNSgenius wrote:
Your chest is wide! Probably wour best body part. I’m curious about what your routine looks like for the chest and if you stretch them a lot. I also don’t think that his bicep and tricep are lacking, it’s just due to the angle of the picture, bodybuilding is all about posing in a favorable angle! Seriously you have a great physique no matter how old you are, you are an inspiration keep up the good work![/quote]

Thanks for the comments. I do try to get a full range of motion when I do most chest expercises. I’ve found this to be the biggest difference between lifting for football and bodybuilding. To really get nice shape and definition from my muscles, I work them through the full range and at many different angles. That’s why I am now hitting legs everyday and bottoming out every movement, so that I can get better separation in my quads and hams. I’ve already seen progress.

[quote]Dave1986 wrote:
You look GREAT man, Obviously with Long Limbs its hard to make your Legs look Big especially your calves, as well as your arms. But you have done very well so far for a Natural Lifter, 235 on stage is very respectable.

Can I ask you if that diet you posted is your pre-contest or is that how you eat normally cuz I think thats a little low on calories for someone your size to be gaining mass.

You have a REALLY good base here, keep at it. I hope I look that good when I turn 41! Good Luck to you[/quote]

Good catch on the diet. It IS a little low on the calories. This is exactly what I ate for about four months before my contest to slowly lean out while maintaining as much mass as possible. I do plan on remaining natural. At this point in my life, I don’t think there are any big endorsement deals coming my way that would tempt me to compromise my health or integrity. So, I expect that I will try to eat like a horse to gain that mass!

[quote]Dave1986 wrote:

You have a REALLY good base here, keep at it. I hope I look that good when I turn 41! Good Luck to you[/quote]

Good catch on the diet. It IS a little low on the calories. This is exactly what I ate for about four months before my contest to slowly lean out while maintaining as much mass as possible. I do plan on remaining natural. At this point in my life, I don’t think there are any big endorsement deals coming my way that would tempt me to compromise my health or integrity. So, I expect that I will try to eat like a horse to gain that mass!