T Nation

Massive Weight Gain / Loss

OK, let me start out by saying I’m conviced it’s water. What has amazed me is the amount.
Background:
I’m 6ft 1", 44y.o used to Powerlift at275lb (too fat).
For various reasons had a lifestyle change (Sleep Apnea & L5/S1 disc prolapse) and got down to around 245lb about the time I got married (12yrs ago)
My weight has fluctuated by around 20lb and whenever I felt it had got too out of control, did something about it. Main weight gain was at Christmas or the 2week summer holiday.
Last year I couldn’t motivate myself to diet properly (good food usually, but too much!)
Anyway 5 Jan 2004 saw me weigh in at 262lb. I decided to lose it. Out came the food log and up went the CV work (bicycle).
Over the year (first 29weeks)
kCal average=3920,Protein about 200-250g per day (I only count Fish, meat Dairy + Pr shakes, other sources are a bonus) B.wt dropped to 240lb
Slow & fairly easy, weekly milage on the bike gradually increased from about 50 miles/week to 85-100 miles/week.
Things were looking good and the guys at the gym were not only noticing that I had lost weight, but commenting that I was looking more muscular than ever (in the past 12 years- I never looked “muscular” big yes but not muscular)…
Now comes the strange bit; I decided that I would not diet when on holiday (or cycle either) and see what would happen:
Well, of course I allowed myself to eat junk (no alcohol though) only missed one week’s training (2 sessions ~1.5hrs each) and lounge around on the beach.
I continued taking my creatine, time released Multivit, time released 1g Vit C and twice daily 5g fish oil (10g total giving 1800mg EPA + 1200mg DHA. Other than much lower protein and bad carb/fat combos the only other thing of relevance is that salt intake was much higher- though not as high as some “normal” types- as I occassionaly salted my food, I dont normally.
Results:
Weight 19/July/04 = 240lb
Weight 9/August/04 = 254 lb
I was a little shocked but thought a bit of water and fat gain was unavoidable but I deserved a break.
I normally weigh myself on a Monday morning, but out of curiosity (scienific training!) weighed myself each morning, as I theorised the water would come of quick, the fat at 1/2lb per week as previously. Let me just add cycle milage was much less this week:
Day B.wt. kCal milage cycled
Mon 254 3811 ~11
Tue 251 3005 ~11
Wed 248 2936 ~11
Thur 246 3728 ~11
Fri 244 dont know yet (its Fri)
Total weight loss in four days = 10lb! That is a (UK) gallon or 4.53 litres.
Any comments or alternative suggestions?

Old Dax

BUMP