Massive eating

I am following the Mag-10 program and I am always totaly bloated. Yet, the results are very good except my belly. Question…Does anybody know if those mass gainers would be a good replacement for the carbs + protein meals? Some say only 1 gram of fat and like 1,000 calories per serving. Each serving is around 55 grams of protein and like 400-500 grams of carbs. Thanks,
Steve

Mass gainers are full of sugar, and are the equivalent of junk food. Avoid this crap at all cost. If I was GIVEN some mass gainer for free, I would dump it in the trash. I wouldn’t even give it away, because I wouldn’t want to sabotage someone else.

Steve, I have the same problem with my stomach during Phase II of the GSP. (I assume that’s what you’re referring to.) As I’m one of those types who really hates to have a gut, this bothers me a lot. But I think it’s just one of those things. First get big, then whittle away the fat that’s accumulated. I’m getting better long-term results this way than any other I’ve tried, so I’m gonna stick with it. As for the food question, I think it would be best to stick with regular food. You don’t know what quality protein is in those drinks (probably not very good), and you wouldn’t get all of the other vitamins and so on that you get from veggies or fruit. Personally, I think that this helps complement the MAG-10 and help with recovery.

55 grams of protein and 400-500 grams of cardbs equals around 1,800 - 2,200 calories - so make sure you are equate you figures correctly if you are trying to hit a certain value. If you use a decent quality weight gainer or meal replacement (with added maltodextrin)it will probably be OK

No, it absolutely would NOT be ok to use a mass gainer. An MRP, which typically contains about 300 calories, 2g fat, 40g protein, and 25g carbs are EXCELLENT. You’ll notice that the sugar content on most MRPs is under 2g, that is good. Mass gainers have a little protein but are almost pure sugar. Mass gainers = you WILL get fat, and quick. MRPs = good healthy addition to any diet to help you pack on some muscle mass. The only success you might have is if you’re skin and bones, and are just trying to add as much weight as possible in the shortest amount of time. It will still not all be muscle, though. Get it?

T-mag has an article called “Shake it Up” with a homemade weight gainer recipe. Healthy, cheap, and much better than the crap you’d get at GNC. Check it out in previous issues.

I agree with you that most weight gainers are crap- and will lead to excess fat gain, but I said DECENT quality weight gainer, there are some outthere such as pro mass by CNP (dorians own)that use pretty much all complex carbs, these are more expensive than most but I fell they are of a decent quality (in fact I think they are more like a higher calorie meal replacement)

I’m pretty sure you got the numbers wrong (no weight gainer has 500 grams of carbs per serving).