T Nation

Massive Eating and Caffeine

I need a fuller explaination of what would happen if I followed the Massive Eating plan and continued to drink large amounts of coffee (or MD6). Could using thermogenics improve the plan if they are used immediately before 2 low carb meals, or do they stay in the system too long?

Caffeine and ephedrine cause the body to acutely be in a “diabetic-like” state of insulin resistance. This means that insulin shoots up much higher than it should per gram of carb in the blood. I pulled this right off medline:

“This peripheral insulin resistance is shown by the simultaneous large increases in concentrations of serum insulin, blood glucose and concentration of free fatty acids. In this situation insulin obviously is not able to inhibit lipolysis or gluconeogenesis nor to increase peripheral glucose utilisation. These metabolic effects of caffeine show some similarities to the metabolic situation in diabetes mellitus type 2 (Non Insulin Dependent Diabetes mellitus).”

The best way to use thermos and caffeine would be exactly as you suggested, right before your low carb meals. Unless your low carb meal is the last of the day, of course.

Hmmmm. Isn’t the protein/fat low carb meal
supposed to be low insulin too? Maybe I don’t get how thermos’ work but, isn’t it part of the massive eating plan to have low insulin when ingesting fats?

I should have clarified. The insulin only shoots up when you eat the carbs. When you dont (i.e. just fats and protein), you wont have the insulin resistance problem. That’s why thermos wont cause a problem during these meals.

How long does caffeine (or ephedrine) stay in the bloodstream?

On another note, does the diet work in differently eating in a back and forth fashion (low carb followed by low fat, etc.)?

JMB, that quote seems to be saying drinking caffeine with your carb meals is a good idea since “In this situation insulin obviously is not able to inhibit lipolysis or gluconeogenesis nor to increase peripheral glucose utilisation”. So would this be a good idea if wanting to lose fat? Thanks.