Mass XXX or 100% Whey Protein?

just a quick intro
im 6’6, 100kg (220lbs)
i want to gain weight without gaining fat like everyone else lol… so far ive been doing weights for about 2 yrs and have recently started the stronglifts 5x5 program which is so far excellent…

now in regards to the protein these are the 2 i have… i mix 2 scoops (each scoop being 30g) of 100% whey protein with 1 scoop of mass xxx. this is with 500ml of pure milk. and i have this every day.

I want to know if this is a good combination for me considering i want to gain weight without the extra fat, because i am noticing more fat around the abdominal region. and yes i know its mainly to do with diet but i need to know if the protein shakes im currently taking are good. so if anyone could suggest good combinations or another protein i should switch to, it would be grateful.

All information is â??quantity per 100gâ??

GNC Mass XXX
Energy 1585kj (379cal)
Protein 25g
Fat, total 3g
Carbohydrates, total 63g

GNC 100% Whey Protein
Energy 1758kj (419cal)
Protein 65g
Fat, total 4.8g
Carbohydrates, total 16g

Save your money on that MASS XXX junk. Use that money for protein powder. If you want extra carbs in your shake buy Waxy maize starch or even use some oatmeal. Get your fats from fish oil or some nuts. Just put that all in a shake with your protein powder and there you go. In reality bro, if you want to gain weight, fat comes along with it unless your on AAS.

Those shakes make up a minute part of your diet, what’s the rest of it like?

Ya man, forget about the weight gainers. I used to use them, but good old fashioned oatmeal + protein + milk will do the trick for a “weight gainer” shake and it is also much better for you.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, I was told weight gainer is just made up of sugar and will bog your metabolism down. Since I heard that I’ve been making my shake with oats, olive oil, whey, and PB blended. That way my weight gain shakes are made up of solid foods.

[quote]Ocelot82 wrote:
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, I was told weight gainer is just made up of sugar and will bog your metabolism down. Since I heard that I’ve been making my shake with oats, olive oil, whey, and PB blended. That way my weight gain shakes are made up of solid foods. [/quote]

I don’t know about bogging your metabolism down, but there are certainly healthy alternatives which are also cheaper.

[quote]Ocelot82 wrote:
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, I was told weight gainer is just made up of sugar and will bog your metabolism down. Since I heard that I’ve been making my shake with oats, olive oil, whey, and PB blended. That way my weight gain shakes are made up of solid foods. [/quote]

Depends which weight gainer you are talking about. It’s just a name you know, each product is different

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Ocelot82 wrote:
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, I was told weight gainer is just made up of sugar and will bog your metabolism down. Since I heard that I’ve been making my shake with oats, olive oil, whey, and PB blended. That way my weight gain shakes are made up of solid foods.

Depends which weight gainer you are talking about. It’s just a name you know, each product is different[/quote]

Good point, but generally they’re all very similar. At least the ones I’ve seen.

Stick to the Whey! Mass gainers being compounded onto mediocre eating habits just bad news. Hell it’ll work…McDonald’s works in a different - not ideal - kind of way.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
Ocelot82 wrote:

Depends which weight gainer you are talking about. It’s just a name you know, each product is different

Good point, but generally they’re all very similar. At least the ones I’ve seen.[/quote]

Similar but some are definitely much worse than others. For the price Mass XXX isn’t that bad for a once in a while thing. I actually use it as my pre-workout shake nowadays. It had maltodextrin and a protein blend. I’m not training for a contest and my metabolism can handle it. Is it better than whole food? no way. Is it better than Metabolic Drive, nope. But I have never consumed the recommend 4 scoops (700-900 something calories) in one shot. I usually just do 1-1.5 scoops of XXX and 1 scoop of whey in between my pre workout meal and my workout.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
chimera182 wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
Ocelot82 wrote:

Good point, but generally they’re all very similar. At least the ones I’ve seen.

Similar but some are definitely much worse than others. For the price Mass XXX isn’t that bad for a once in a while thing. I actually use it as my pre-workout shake nowadays. It had maltodextrin and a protein blend. I’m not training for a contest and my metabolism can handle it. Is it better than whole food? no way. Is it better than Metabolic Drive, nope. But I have never consumed the recommend 4 scoops (700-900 something calories) in one shot. I usually just do 1-1.5 scoops of XXX and 1 scoop of whey in between my pre workout meal and my workout. [/quote]

That doesn’t seem too bad, the one’s I’ve seen have the recommended dose at 1500 calories or so.