Mass Training with PLing and O'Lifting

Whats up board, I was thinking of trying a routine this Winter that only involved the BIG heavy compound lifts, meaning squats, deadlifts, presses, clean and jerks, dips, push-presses and chin’s…My goals are to add more mass and thickness…I am 6’2 and weigh 215, goal to reach 230 by this coming summer

My question, how should I divide those lifts? When it be best to the push/pull type combination? I UNDERSTAND everyone is different, but when training those lifts HEAVY, would hitting those lifts once weekly be ideal? Thanks for any input…

I think that it would depend on a few things…namely the amount of volume, if you’re training to failure, other activities (conditioning et cetera…). However, I did think about it for a little while, and here’s what I came up with (what I would do if I was in your shoes): [p]
Monday [p]
Squats 4to6 sets, 4 to 8 reps [p]
Barbell Row 3 to 5 sets, as above with reps [p]
Dips as per Barbell Row [p]
Wednesday [p]
Clean and Jerk, 4 to 6 sets of 3, working up to your max weight for 3 [p]
Chin-ups 3 to 5 sets of 4 to 8 reps [p]
Front Squat 4 to 6 sets of 1 to 3 reps (at about 80% to 85% 1RM…not too fatiguing) [p]
Friday [p]
Deadlifts 4 to 6 sets of 3 to 6 reps [p]
Push Press 4 to 6 sets of 3 to 6 reps, working up over 2 to 3 sets to your max weight for 3 [p]
Dips 3 to 5 sets of 6 to 10 reps [p]

This should work pretty well, my only concern would be the recovery of your lower back musculature, but if you’re not training to failure, you should be okay. If you find that your lower back is sore, you may want to switch the front squats to Friday (and alternate between back squats and deads on the monday workouts). This would mean doing only clean and jerks and chins on wednesday, so you could probably get away with a bit more volume. I hope that helps…let me know what you think. [p]
PS…I think you would add some serious functional mass on this program…i.e. you’d be one strong mo’fo by the end!

I apologize to whoever has had to read my post above…I thought I had the paragraph thing all worked out, but I guess not…I’ll try re-posting (and I’ll make it legible this time!).

Adopt a King style split and pair your antagonists.

I think that it would depend on a few things…namely the amount of volume, if you’re training to failure, other activities (conditioning et cetera…). However, I did think about it for a little while, and here’s what I came up with (what I would do if I was in your shoes):

Monday

Squats 4to6 sets, 4 to 8 reps, Barbell Row 3 to 5 sets, as above with reps, Dips as per Barbell Row

Wednesday

Clean and Jerk, 4 to 6 sets of 3, working up to your max weight for 3, Chin-ups 3 to 5 sets of 4 to 8 reps, Front Squat 4 to 6 sets of 1 to 3 reps (at about 80% to 85% 1RM...not too fatiguing)

Friday

Deadlifts 4 to 6 sets of 3 to 6 reps, Push Press 4 to 6 sets of 3 to 6 reps, working up over 2 to 3 sets to your max weight for 3, Dips 3 to 5 sets of 6 to 10 reps

This should work pretty well, my only concern would be the recovery of your lower back musculature, but if you're not training to failure, you should be okay. If you find that your lower back is sore, you may want to switch the front squats to Friday (and alternate between back squats and deads on the monday workouts). This would mean doing only clean and jerks and chins on wednesday, so you could probably get away with a bit more volume. I hope that helps...let me know what you think.

PS...I think you would add some serious functional mass on this program...i.e. you'd be one strong mo'fo by the end!