T Nation

Mass Routine

What do you guys think about this split, anything i need to add or leave out. Keeping sets the same but rotating reps every 3 weeks(10,5,15,3) then into some dynamic stuff for a week and then reset. Rest every other day. I am 6ft 1 180lbs looking to bulk to 210-220lbs(not careing if i get a little chubby along the way). Any postive feedback is appreciated.

Flat Bench 3x10
Incline DB 3x10
Decline bench 3X10
Incline Flys 3X10
pushdowns 3x10

Squat 3x10
Stiff leg deadlift 3x10
calf raise 3x10

Deadlift 3x10
Pullup 3x10
good mornings 3x10
bent over rows 3x10
barbell curl 3x10

Overhead shoulder press 3x10
Face pulls w band 3x10
barbell shrug 3x10
Upright row 3x10

Calories Protein Carbs Fat

daily total on this day 4561.7 288.4g 515g 148.9g

Actual macronutrient split on this day: 25.3% 45.2% 29.5%

grams per lb bodyweight (176 lbs): 1.64g 2.93g 0.85g

I've been doing CT's OVT program with great success...I'm new to "bulking" but I've been hitting PRs every time I'm in the gym. I'm with you on the weight gain though. I too am 180, trying to get as strong as possible w/out excess fat gain. For this, I'm clean bulking - getting around 3,000 to 3,500 cals a day and around 250-300g carb on usual days. Once a week I'm going to have a cheat meal (balls to the wall) and do a pulse fast the next day.

What's your diet look like? I've heard a lot of talk that diet is more important than routines, as long as you're busting ass in the gym.

there is a Dorian Yates 2010 thread on this first page, watch those vids and follow that. I would also lower the carbs a tab, and up the protein.

You blindly recommend he follow a Yates style routine and up the protein from over 1.5g per pound?

I'd ask how long have you been training? What's your maxes on basic lifts: bench, squat, deadlift, row?

You may not need a split like above to add muscle mass.

Your chest/tri day is way longer then your legs day. If this is the order that you do your workouts during the week I would definitely change your back day from the day after you are working legs. Squats and then deadlifts the very next day isn't necessary.

I'd go with the yates recommendation, but make it a 3-way or so over 5 days maybe... Or just take off-days as they come due to life getting in the way or whatever... 3 cycles heavy (pick a short term goal here and achieve it), one light (landmark weight for high reps not to failure), repeat.

As for the squats/DL on consecutive days... If you want to do that, just ramp up to one set and go low rep one day, high rep the next and alternate that from cycle to cycle or whatever... But for you it'd probably be easier to either put squats and deads on the same day (but don't do 3x8 same weight or any such crap if you're doing a 4-way or 3-way) or have 1-2 days at least between the 2 like Fandango suggested.

I mean, yeah, lots of ways to add muscle, but huh? :slightly_smiling:

Split things up whichever way lets you do your exercises justice, doesn't bother your joints or whatever and in a way you enjoy maybe... But the exact split isn't really all that important... I'm more bothered by the exercise selection and set/rep combo there esp. if it's all straight weight...

I blindly recommended following a Yates style of training over his template of 3x10 for everything, with almost no leg work at all. I'll admit, I read his macro's wrong.. the 1.5g pro/lb is fine. But what does my maxes on those lifts have to do with that recommendation at all? Are you implying that those exercises are required for bodybuilding purposes?

Are you sure it's not 25.34% 45.19% 29.47%? :slight_smile:

I wouldn't worry as much over the macro-nutrient split (as long as it's not stupidly unbalanced)...just concentrate on getting the minimum quantities per day. As soon as the quantities are up to par, simply increase portion sizes/meals etc when strength/bodyweight stagnates.

As C_C said, do a less split routine (you'll get a little more frequency for the exercises).

And ramp up to one, maybe two (depending on how developed you are), max sets. On bigger exercises (e.g. squat/DL) it'll take more sets, like up to 6, whereas on smaller ones (e.g. arms), it may take just 2-4.

"I mean, yeah, lots of ways to add muscle, but huh? :)"

By split I meant overall routine. I don't see the need to do 3x10 of flat, then 3x10 of whatever press and again, etc. But right a bodypart split is fine if that's what he wants. Just not how I'd approach it early on in someones career.

"I blindly recommended following a Yates style of training over his template of 3x10 for everything, with almost no leg work at all. I'll admit, I read his macro's wrong.. the 1.5g pro/lb is fine. But what does my maxes on those lifts have to do with that recommendation at all? Are you implying that those exercises are required for bodybuilding purposes?"

I didn't mean your maxes by the way, I probably worded it poorly. I meant his maxes in those lifts. I'm implying that maybe he should focus on general strength training for a main lift with additional hypertrophy work rather than 3x10 across the board. If he can't handle much weight and are that far along, I wouldn't recommend a Yates type routine.

My implication is that those lifts are decent marker lifts. I could have said squat, bench, chin up, and row. Or insert whatever you want, but tracking progress with poundages requires some sort of marker lift generally.

We agree on the set/rep thing for sure. And yeah, as I said, I don't like the exercise selection/amount much either.

Yates' stuff works perfectly fine for getting strong across the board... Unless the guy is built for benching for example, I wouldn't go with some relative-strength thing or even starting strength (I mean yeah, he can do it, but really, he may as well get stronger on more lifts).

I agree with that. But I'm not sure what it has to do with the yates thing. Tracking progress on key lifts for every major bodypart is a main component of every routine yates has ever done... Same with most other big, strong bodybuilders really.

So i would do db flat bench instead, trying to get the flat barbell bench press technique down first i watched some 5 part series on it and its hard to get it down(i was doing it completely wrong). I figured that stiff leg deadlift works more leg? and i do normal deadlifts for back and a little legs on back day. Routine would go chest rest legs rest shoulders rest back rest rest. The 3x10 is just part of the cycle, changing the reps 10,5,15,3 every 3 weeks keeps the body guessing.

Flat bench max 200 1 rep
deadlift 305 3 rep
squat 250 1 rep

Why would you want to keep the body guessing? Add weight if you want to "change it up", change your exercise selection where needed... But don't just change half your routine at arbitrary time intervals for no reason.

chest - rest - legs - rest - delts - rest - back - rest - rest works out to 9 days... You are a beginner, that frequency per bodypart is ridiculously low for you...

Don't need to do flat bench btw, incline or decline is fine too. Although you still have to learn proper setup.

So then chest,legs, rest, delts,back,rest? For the rep change i got the idea from huge in a hurry he just switches it every week with only 3 total body exercise a week.

Do about 2 bodyparts in a workout.

• chest + arms / legs + abs / delts + back

• chest + back / legs + abs / delts + arms

• push / legs / pull

Generally, it's best not to train more than 2 days in a row, but this depends on recovery/rest/diet/stress etc. A popular frequency is on/on/off/on/off/repeat.

Focus on getting stronger in a medium(ish) rep range (e.g. 6-8 reps), rather than getting distracted with "cool programs"...

Give your muscles a reason to grow, it won't make a difference if you lift 50lbs in 10 different ways :slight_smile:

If you're doing it yates style... Push yourself on 1-2 top sets per exercise, 6-8 usually (8-10 for back or tris, and perhaps more on quad work)... Make sure you control the negatives well and do forceful, explosive (try anyway) positives.

Use a power rack to keep from getting buried under the bar, or a training partner...

Yeah, that looks better... Could do a 3-way still, but whatever. Effort and diet count the most here (and proper setup and execution of your lifts).

Watch the vids in the Dorian Yates 2010 thread (the tip vid as well), then read that post I just made in the t-cell about yates routines... That should help...

When using a more split up approach with more exercises per bodypart than just... one... per session, you're usually better off not doing too many work sets per exercise. Really no need for that... Just makes it harder to progress, at least if you're going with medium to higher reps... 3x8 or 4x10 at the same weight is just terribly ineffective for progression purposes on a 4-way split.