T Nation

Mass Routine Suggestion

Hi!

I started working on mass 2,5 months ago. I want to go with different rountines all the way till march and then cut for 2-3 months.

I did Quadro Dynamo and just finished ABBH I. What would you suggest to keep progressing with good muscle gains after this ? I noticed progress with strength and size, but i would like to hear your suggestions ?

I have that CW excell file with all those different routines, i am just not sure in what order should i try those.

I rest a lot, i eat a lot, i packed some fat too, but i don’t worry much , i just want to destroy myself in a gym during winter and gain as much muscle as i can no matter how big is the pain :))

thanx a lot

maybe do something where your big lifts go up every week, like planned progression. I find I gain muscle much quicker if I focus less on hypertrophy, and more on just getting bigger numbers in my big 3

k im a newb still i just like helping people feel free to tear me apart

Just look at all his different routines and see which one looks the most appealing to you. Or make your own based on his principles.

You could try doing something not written by CW. There are other successful programs written by people other than him.

[quote]viridans wrote:

Hi!

I started working on mass 2,5 months ago. I want to go with different rountines all the way till march and then cut for 2-3 months.

I did Quadro Dynamo and just finished ABBH I. What would you suggest to keep progressing with good muscle gains after this ? I noticed progress with strength and size, but i would like to hear your suggestions ?

I have that CW excell file with all those different routines, i am just not sure in what order should i try those.

I rest a lot, i eat a lot, i packed some fat too, but i don’t worry much , i just want to destroy myself in a gym during winter and gain as much muscle as i can no matter how big is the pain :))

thanx a lot [/quote]

If you are that new to training, then as long as you’re eating enough and resting enough just about any decently put together program will give you results. I would agree with Shultzie though that you need to plan progression into your program. In other words every single time that you hit the gym there should be improvement (meaning that you beat your last performance).

Since I’m not all that familiar with CW’s earlier programs I’ll just make up a hypothetical program and show you what I mean about forced progression.

Let’s say that on Monday your program calls for:

4 sets of 8-12 reps of the following exercises:
BB back squat
BB incline bench
Chest supported rows
Alternative DB curls
Close grip bench

And let’s just use the squat for this example since going through each and every exercise will just be redundant.

So, let’s say that you get 12, 10, 9, and 8 for your sets of squats. This means that even your lowest set was within your desired rep range. Next time that you hit the gym increase the weight by 5 lbs. If all of your sets are within the desired rep range then again add 5 lbs the next time. If not, keep the same weight and just try to make sure that all of your sets reach the rep range.

This might not seem like all that much of an increase in the short term, but these little 5 lb increments will add up to substantial poundage increases in the long run. And to be perfectly honest, your line of thinking that you want to “bulk” until March and then “cut” for 2-3 months isn’t all that beneficial of a mindset to have as far as this building muscle thing goes.

Why not just forget about the “cutting” and instead dedicate 2-3 years to a serious heavy lifting, mass building program (and make certain to EAT, EAT, EAT)? Seriously, getting the body you want can take you 10 years or it can take you considerably shorter (can’t really say for certain because I don’t know you or your genetic make-up).

If you follow this “I’ll bulk during the winter and then cut for the summer” mindset you’ll seriously slow down the process and it’ll take you much, much longer to reach your ultimate goal. I’d honestly suggest just getting serious and hitting it hard until you reach a level of muscularity that suits you (this of course will depend on your personal preferences). If you’ve done things right, it should be much much easier to then cut body fat (if at this point you even feel the need to) and really look like you want to.

But, hey it’s your time and your body. I’m just trying to help you to avoid making some of the mistakes that I see people making all the time, and that I myself made. I’ve been training for 8 years, and even though about 3 of those were dedicated to serious MMA training, I still feel that had I known then what I know now, I’d be much further along in terms of muscularity than I currently am. Now, I have gained about 50 lbs from my starting weight, but honestly I probably could have gained that in about 3 years had I done things right from the start.

Hope this helps.

Good training,

Sentoguy

P.S. Shultzie, personally I see nothing wrong in sharing what has worked for you in your training. As long as you qualify your statements. That is, as long as you say “but I’m still a beginner, so perhaps some of the more experienced guys can give a more educated opinion” or something to that extent. You don’t even have to mention the more experienced guys, just that you yourself are a beginner and are still learning. As long as you do that, I personally see no harm in you sharing what has worked for you.

Getting Big is simple. And I’m not talking about “bulk fat” big, I’m talking thick, dense, powerful.

Do not look at the next 30 days, or 12 weeks, or even 6 months.

Take the next 12 months and concentrate on building massive power and muscle size from squats, deadlifts, bench presses, rows, chins, dips, and overhead presses.

Twice per week, full body, is perfect.

As far as eating, no need to overeat. Most fools are eating too much as it is. You end up getting fat or just shitting out what the body doesn’t need.

3-4 meals is fine, meat and veggies, plus fruit and real honey as snacks.

Don’t worry about counting calories, carbs, proteins, etc. Just eat your meals and train hard.

Force your body to grow. It will.

And do cardio as often as you can, fast walking or light jogging is best. Morning, afternoon, night, it doesn’t matter. Just get your heart pumping and force your body to stay lean by showing it how active you are.

At the same time you will also put on a lot of mass, lean mass, by the following routine:

Monday (rep day)

Bench Press: 4-10 x 6-10
Rows: 5x8-10
Behind The Neck Press (or front): 5x8-10
Squats: 3x5 then 1x20 (breathing squats)
Chins: 3-4 by max
Calve Raises
Heavy Ab work (2-3 sets of weighted crunches

Thursday: (Heavy Day)

Squats: 5x5
Bench Press: 5x5
Behind The Neck Press (or front): 5x5
Dips: 5x5
Deadlift: 5x5
Hammer Curls: 4x8
Calve Raises
Heavy Ab Work

So youre telling this guy to train only twice a week and eat only 4 meals/day consisting of only meat/veggies and fruit and honey?

I dont know about you, but Im pretty sure this is exactly what hasnt worked for tons of other people.

Training infrequently and undereating is not going to force your body to grow. Finding a good combination of volume, frequency, and intensity along with a surplus of calories and rest is what is going to force your body to grow.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
So youre telling this guy to train only twice a week and eat only 4 meals/day consisting of only meat/veggies and fruit and honey?

I dont know about you, but Im pretty sure this is exactly what hasnt worked for tons of other people.

Training infrequently and undereating is not going to force your body to grow. Finding a good combination of volume, frequency, and intensity along with a surplus of calories and rest is what is going to force your body to grow.[/quote]

I’d also have to agree with Stronghold. Unless you’re an extreme endomorph (you get fat easily, but also tend to put on mass easily) that program JBMan posted isn’t a good plan to follow.

The ol’ starr 5 x 5 you can’t go wrong…unless you start adding shit to it and bollocks it all up.

Heavy Day: Work yourself up to one heavy set.

Light Day: 80% of the heaviest set on Heavy Day.

Medium Day: 90% of the heaviest set on Heavy Day.

Example:

Monday, heavy day:

squat: 5 x 135, 5 x 165, 5 x 185, 5 x 205, 5 x 225

bench press: 5 x 135, 5 x 155, 5 x 175, 5 x 190, 5 x 200

power clean: 5 x 115, 5 x 135, 5 x 145, 5 x 155, 5 x 165

Wednesday, light day:

squat: 5 x 135, 5 x 150, 5 x 160, 5 x 170, 5 x 180

bench press: 5 x 135, 5 x 135, 5 x 145, 5 x 155, 5 x 160

power clean: 5 x 115, 5 x 115, 5 x 115, 5 x 125, 5 x 135

Friday, medium day:

squat: 5 x 135, 5 x 155, 5 x 175, 5 x 190, 5 x 205

bench press: 5 x 135, 5 x 150, 5 x 160, 5 x 170, 5 x 180

power clean: 5 x 115, 5 x 125, 5 x 135, 5 x 145, 5 x 150

*Weekly increase. This routine would be nothing if you didn�??t make progress. The goal here is to increase the poundage on each heavy day, and derive the poundages on medium and light day from this heavy day.If you have substituted certain exercises, it is not always possible to derive the correct weight from the heavy day, as you do another exercise. In that case, you could just improve the poundage of the same day the week before. General rule: only increase the weight when you successfully did all the planned sets and reps the previous week.

Substitution of exercises:

Overhead Presses. These can replace the bench press on a light day or medium day, as they are less stressful to the shoulder girdle. Behind the neck presses would be done on light day and military presses on medium day.

Incline Bench Presses. Similar to the overhead presses, we can replace the bench press with incline press on medium day.

Front Squats. Because lighter loads are used compared to the back squat, Front Squats would replace back squats on light day

High Pulls. A good replacement for power cleans on heavy or medium days. It works the same muscles as the power clean, but has some advantages. There is no stress on the wrists and more weight can be used. Doing the power clean on light day is still recommended to keep the form which you have developed. Just like power shrugs, this exercise is more advanced.

(I personally use deadlift in place of power cleans on heavy day, rows/shrugs on medium day, and good mornings on light day. I also substitute box squats for regular.)

I’ve been doing this for over a month and I’ve never experienced anything remotely as effective as this. Weekly strength increases whereas once I was stalled, and good size/weight increase from around 200 lbs to 206-208 lbs with the same 33 inch waist. Am I watching what I eat? Helllll no. Protein 1 gram per what?! Hellll no. Does it seem to matter? Hellll no. Granted, I’m not eating snickers bars or grilled cheese all day long, but I’m just eating like a normal person and it doesn’t seem to be holding me back.

Try it.

Ive been doing this for about a month and a half and i have done nothing but get stronger every week.I put it together myself to suit me so modify it to suit your needs.
Mon,Tue,Thur,Fri arms saturday.
DAY 1

Incline Hammer Strength Bench
T-Bar Back
DB Shoulders
Squat
Chins

DAY 2

Cleans
Reverse Incline Side Raises
Cable Rows
DB bench