T Nation

Mass Gain Diet...Critic

hey all-
like most of the other posts around here, i would greatly appreciate it if you can critic my mass gain diet. thanks!

background: started at 146lbs, 18%BF 5’9, 1yr of on and off lifting. Now–Started back in December to mass gain following Chad’s new program(get huge in a hurry). Now i am: 159lbs and around 24%BF(took 9weeks w/ 3week break)

My goal is to get around 170lbs, so i need about 10more pounds.

Here’s my current diet:

Breakfast: 6am
2cups of milk(16g protein)
2 toast(30g carbs)
2eggs(16g p)
cashews+2 fish oil

Meal #2: 9am
protein shake(40g protien)
1 banana, raisans(30g carbs)

Meal #3: 12-1pm
beef(35g p)
1 bagel /w creamcheese(25g carbs)
nuts

Meal #4:(pre-workout) 5pm
protien shake(20g P)
1 banana(15g carbs)

Workout(5 to 6pm)

Meal #5: 6pm
2 protein shake or chicken(40g)
1 banana, raisans, rice (40g)

Meal #6: 9pm
chicken or some type of meat(20g p)
fruit(20 carbs)
nuts, olive oil
milk

Total Calories: around 3,500

Any food i shouldnt be eating or should be eating?
Also, if i am eating a lot constantly, would my blood pressure go up a lot? I am 17 and just had a physical and my BP was kinda high.

Also, i have tennis pratcie and krav maga(1hr each) 4 times a week, would these programs affect my mass gain signficantly?

thanks!

Your diet and workouts seem pretty consistent. IMO, I would try to incorporate more greens for fiber and metabolic benefits. Your tennis really wouldn’t hinder your mass process as much as you think. Balancing your workout with strenuous cardio is another variable that aids in your metabolism.

How much water are you drinking?

So you started with 120lbs of lean mass, and now have 121lbs of lean mass, but are 13 lbs heavier? I’d check your bf numbers, and if they’re right, I’d guess that there’s a reason your blood pressure went up. I’d hope that your numbers are wrong, in which case keep doing what you’re doing, and add some more fiber to your diet in the form of green veggies. That plus your tennis/ martial arts should keep your blood pressure in check.

Ames-I think i am drinking enough water. I drink about 4 .5L bottles and that’s not including tennis.

Yeah, I’ll try adding more veggies into my diet.

Ninjaboy-To tell you the truth, I’m not positive about my BF percentage, it can be way off.
Last time i went for a checkup, my bloodpressure was too high, so i took a 3week break from eating/lifting and it’s gone down since the.

Just a general question: If i get 80g of protien from whey protein shakes out of a 250-300g daily, is that too much from powder? Is there a major difference between eating powder and ‘real’ food?

Powder is real food, it’s just dehydrated. It shouldn’t make a huge difference.

how is the weight training program going?

are you getting any sort of belly?
i am bulking as well

As far as the program, I am just following Waterbury’s “Get Huge in a Hurry” program. Currently on the 3rd phase of Get Big.

Having gained around 14lbs, I def seen my belly get bigger. The pants are getting tighter haha

I disagree, I don’t think your diet is optimal for someone who started at 18% BF.

Here’s how I would do it:

Breakfast: 6am
1 cups of milk(8g protein)
1 toast(30g carbs)
2 eggs, 3 egg whites (30g p) cooked on coconut oil
4 fish oil

Meal #2: 9am
protein shake(40g protien)
1 banana, raisans(30g carbs)

Meal #3: 12-1pm
beef(35g p)
nuts

Meal #4:(pre-workout) 5pm
protien shake(20g P)
1 banana(15g carbs)

Workout(5 to 6pm)

PWO:
Chocolate milk, at least!

Meal #5: 7 pm
chicken(40g protein)
small portion of rice
salad

Meal #6: 9pm
chicken or some type of meat(20g p)
fruit(20 carbs)
milk

FUCK! What is it with me and the submit button? Nix the milk before bed.

To make a long story short, I was doing something like you at one point and it backfired because I was eating way too many carbs for my body type. You don’t need to stuff yourself like that before bed, either. Nor do you need so many carbs, PERIOD in my opinion. Try to get something in you right as soon as you finish working out

Hey G87, thanks for the input. Well, i started at around 18% BF, but now(12weeks later), i believe i am in the ~22%BF. For carbs, i’m trying to keep it around 200-250 a day. As for protein, around 240(1.5x160bw).

Just a theory question: Is it possible to gain muscle mass if you get all your protein from protein powder? Say that you cant eat meat and but want to gain mass, so you only drink protein shakes, is it possible to get the same results?

[quote]spacekillers wrote:
Just a theory question: Is it possible to gain muscle mass if you get all your protein from protein powder? Say that you cant eat meat and but want to gain mass, so you only drink protein shakes, is it possible to get the same results?[/quote]

Yes. As stated in this thread, it is real food. It’s just been highly processed.

If you’re planning to go this way, then remember that there are OTHER NUTRIENTS present in meat that you may not be getting if you take a powder in place of meat approach. For example, your diet may be lacking in iron, copper, zinc and fat.

[quote]Hank250 wrote:
spacekillers wrote:
Just a theory question: Is it possible to gain muscle mass if you get all your protein from protein powder? Say that you cant eat meat and but want to gain mass, so you only drink protein shakes, is it possible to get the same results?

Yes. As stated in this thread, it is real food. It’s just been highly processed.

If you’re planning to go this way, then remember that there are OTHER NUTRIENTS present in meat that you may not be getting if you take a powder in place of meat approach. For example, your diet may be lacking in iron, copper, zinc and fat. [/quote]

Could also be lacking in Fibre.
When I went for the ‘fuckloads of poweder’ style diet my farts got out of hand and my shits were even worse. With too little fibre you will soon find yourself with a very sore asshole.

So true, thanks guys.
I’m just taking more protein powder(about 3times a day-40g each shake), but I’ll be sure to eat beef, fish, etc and veggies to get fiber.