T Nation

Mass Egg Cooking

What is the most eggs you have ever cooked/stored, and how did you do it? How do you store them? I have a big freezer, anyone know how freezing eggs works? Ideas?

I can get eggs for 99 cents a dozen until December 21st. 5 dozen limit per day. (KwikTrip.) I estimate the 'sell by date" at that time will say January 11th or so.

I read somewhere about preserving them with mineral oil and there are various articles on it. Never tried it myself though. Sometimes I’ll get the huge 7.5 dozen box of eggs from Costco but I keep them in the fridge and cook them a dozen at a time.

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2012/03/05/preserving-eggs-for-the-long-term/

Interesting. I wonder if maybe scrambling the whites and freezing them would work. I plan on doing a couple gross. I heard an idea where you can crack eggs into ice cube trays for serving size later. I might try that.

Eggs are good fresh, how much money are you saving here? Fresh eggs are awesome, these other schemes sound hideous.

How much to get some egg-laying chickens, then you can have fresh organic eggs every day?

Pickle them. There are many recipes and they will last for a long time.

I’ll second the pickling idea. Of course, you’ll have to buy the jars, pickling spices and so on, but if you can find that stuff bulk, it shouldn’t eat into the savings too much.

Fresh eggs are heaven on Earth.
I suggest you get a second job, sir, and keep eating your eggs fresh.

Related: I once made a 8 egg omelette.

tweet

fresh omelet > reheated omelet

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
Eggs are good fresh, how much money are you saving here? Fresh eggs are awesome, these other schemes sound hideous. [/quote]

My motives are only half money related. On that note, they are 50% cheaper. The other half of the motive is how successful my eating is when I mass cook things. I usually reserve eggs for at home cooking only, and take meats to work, but this promo on eggs leads me to want to experiment. Fresh eggs are awesome, but the goal here for me is nutrient and convenience based, not taste based.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
How much to get some egg-laying chickens, then you can have fresh organic eggs every day? [/quote]

I’d love too, but I doubt a Minnesota winter is the ideal time to learn how to care for a new outside animal. Nice boxers by the way, I have a brindle one as well.

[quote]demonthrall wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
Eggs are good fresh, how much money are you saving here? Fresh eggs are awesome, these other schemes sound hideous. [/quote]

My motives are only half money related. On that note, they are 50% cheaper. The other half of the motive is how successful my eating is when I mass cook things. I usually reserve eggs for at home cooking only, and take meats to work, but this promo on eggs leads me to want to experiment. Fresh eggs are awesome, but the goal here for me is nutrient and convenience based, not taste based. [/quote]

Gotcha. For convenience, I like hard-boiled eggs with a little salt. Beyond that, good luck with your quest.

[quote]demonthrall wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
How much to get some egg-laying chickens, then you can have fresh organic eggs every day? [/quote]

I’d love too, but I doubt a Minnesota winter is the ideal time to learn how to care for a new outside animal. Nice boxers by the way, I have a brindle one as well.[/quote]

Thanks! They are my babies. Boxers are great dogs and I really love the way brindles look.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
Pickle them. There are many recipes and they will last for a long time.[/quote]

I’ve never pickled anything, or considered it. Good idea! I’ve never eaten any either. I will look it up. Thanks

I’ll probably end up hardboiling some too, they usually go stanky in 2 weeks in my opinion. Here is a pic of Boxers by the way, had to put the fawn one to sleep a few weeks ago, poor fella.

[quote]demonthrall wrote:
I’ll probably end up hardboiling some too, they usually go stanky in 2 weeks in my opinion. Here is a pic of Boxers by the way, had to put the fawn one to sleep a few weeks ago, poor fella. [/quote]

Wow, gorgeous dogs. Sorry to hear about that, we had to put my first Boxer down a few years ago due to brain cancer, it was awful. I feel for you.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]demonthrall wrote:
I’ll probably end up hardboiling some too, they usually go stanky in 2 weeks in my opinion. Here is a pic of Boxers by the way, had to put the fawn one to sleep a few weeks ago, poor fella. [/quote]

Wow, gorgeous dogs. Sorry to hear about that, we had to put my first Boxer down a few years ago due to brain cancer, it was awful. I feel for you. [/quote]

Thanks. We rescued old Bob a few years ago, and his back legs started to go, and his hair started to fall out. He nipped at me, and with a baby, we decided it was the right time. It is tough putting them down. It was all worth it though, you are right. Here’s another pic of old Bob. This might date me…

Due to time constraints (I am up at 5am for work) I cook an omelette the night before and microwave it in the morning to save time.
I can honestly say you should avoid this if at all possible. I do it to save time but trying to wolf down a reheated 5 egg omelette is not fun and if it wasn’t a necessity I wouldn’t be doing it.

Just buy and eat fresh. Much tastier.

Oh and are you really considering eating 5 pickled eggs a day. Come on

And speaking of eggs, I used to feed them to Bob all the time. Here you can see what he used to look like. Fastest boxer I have ever seen. He caught a full grown rabbit once, I couldn’t believe it. He had no idea what to do with it though.

[quote]TheBeez wrote:
Due to time constraints (I am up at 5am for work) I cook an omelette the night before and microwave it in the morning to save time.
I can honestly say you should avoid this if at all possible. I do it to save time but trying to wolf down a reheated 5 egg omelette is not fun and if it wasn’t a necessity I wouldn’t be doing it.

Just buy and eat fresh. Much tastier.

Oh and are you really considering eating 5 pickled eggs a day. Come on[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Just because you get hung up on what tastes doesn’t mean I do. Most would agree fresh is better. There are other goals at play here for me than what tastes good. Ive learned with job, house, kids, life that you better get real creative if you want to keep doing this for 10+ years like I have!