Mass Eating with Olive Oil and Nuts

Mixed nuts, great stuff.

inexpensive
calorie dense
portable (I work as a teacher and find it easy to snack on them in between classes)
hearty doses of fats and minerals
fiber, some protein, etc…

They usually comprise around 2200-2500 of my daily caloric intake (roughly half of my total calories consumed)

Before this, I used a calorie proportionate amount of olive oil in smoothies twice a day and seemed to have had better results with adding small amounts of weight.

Ever since I switched over to nuts (keeping everything else in diet and workouts constant, besides increasing loads), I’ve been losing some weight (not a good thing), as well as running out of toilet paper.

I’m sure most of this is due to the fiber content in nuts. It is known that a lot of the protein in legumes and nuts is locked up in fiber and may not be utilized. In terms of actual calories gained, this must be making a sizable impact.

I’m curious if there are any others out there that use nuts as a substantial portion of their diet (half or greater for calorie intake) and if so, have they ever substituted bulk oil for nuts or vise versa… found one better for gaining than the other?

[quote]jonesk wrote:
Mixed nuts, great stuff.

inexpensive
calorie dense
portable (I work as a teacher and find it easy to snack on them in between classes)
hearty doses of fats and minerals
fiber, some protein, etc…

They usually comprise around 2200-2500 of my daily caloric intake (roughly half of my total calories consumed)

Before this, I used a calorie proportionate amount of olive oil in smoothies twice a day and seemed to have had better results with adding small amounts of weight.

Ever since I switched over to nuts (keeping everything else in diet and workouts constant, besides increasing loads), I’ve been losing some weight (not a good thing), as well as running out of toilet paper.

I’m sure most of this is due to the fiber content in nuts. It is known that a lot of the protein in legumes and nuts is locked up in fiber and may not be utilized. In terms of actual calories gained, this must be making a sizable impact.

I’m curious if there are any others out there that use nuts as a substantial portion of their diet (half or greater for calorie intake) and if so, have they ever substituted bulk oil for nuts or vise versa… found one better for gaining than the other?

[/quote]

Make sure you are chewing those things thoroughly - I went through a phase of rushing them and ended up shitting out half of the things damn near whole.

Mixed nuts and fish oils form the bulk of my fat intake alongside smaller amounts of cheese, eggs and the occasional cheeky bit of mayo :wink:

I think most people will suggest that it’s too much of one thing. I’ve heard of adding a few hundred calories worth of olive oil or nuts but they are by no means a replacement for meals comprised of animal protein and veggies.

I hear you on the ‘shitting them out’ right after part. I feel bad wasting the calories.

Interesting you mention fish oil…

I tried to include that as a solid 400-500 calories a day and found trouble in the rear (this didn’t happen with other ‘oils’ like olive or coconut).

Something similar to this was covered in an Alpha thread, so I felt better knowing that I wasn’t the only one with leaky anus and gas that reeked of dead jellyfish.

Since then I’ve stuck with the 6 to 7 caps a day.

400 calories of fish oil a day ?

so over 40 grams ? is that of regular or extra strength ?

You’re eating a lot of nuts, buddy.

I started adding olive oil to my diet for the added calories. I also started adding pecans in as a snack throughout the day. Combine this with a slightly higher carb intake and you will grow.

I just tipped the scales at 215 last night, maybe 4-5% bodyfat more than in my avatar.

I’m a believer in it, just too much of anything isn’t good. Keep that in mind.

DG