Mass and Strength Program

This is my 6 week program for strength and speed combined with some bodyweight exercises. It is a 5 day a week program, can you tell me what you think of it.

1 upper body

Bench Press:
Weeks 1-3: 4 x 6-8 75-80%
Weeks 4-6: 5 x 4-6 85-90%
Weighted pull-up:
Weeks 1-3: 4 x 6-8 50lb
Weeks 4-6: 5 x 4-6 60lbs
Parallel bar handstand pushups:
Weeks 1-3: 4 x 3
Weeks 4-6: 5 x 4
Abs, Sprints, Stretches, Grip
2 lower body

Squat:
Weeks 1-3: 4 x 6-8 80-85%
Weeks 4-6: 5 x 4-6 90-95%
Barbell Calf Press:
Pistols:

Abs, Stretches

3 bodyweight
Planche progression: 1min holds
Lever progression: 1min holds
Wall walks (bridge to stand): 4x5
Squats Hops: 4x15— add 5 reps every 2 weeks
Abs, Stretches, Grip
4 upper

Shoulder Press:
Chin-Up:
Weighted dip:
Abs, Stretches
5 lower
Deadlift:
Weeks 1-3: 4 x 6-8 80-85%
Weeks 4-6: 5 x 4-6 90-95%
Clean:
Weeks 1-3: 4 x 3-5 reps 70-80%
Weeks 4-6: 5 x 1-3 reps 90-100%
Pistols:
Abs, Sprints, Stretches, Grip

dont all try to post at once!!!

Looks like a 5x5 type template. Not that that’s a bad thing – I think 5x5 programs are great for strength.

Few notes:

1. I would replace either the weighted pull-ups or weighted chin-ups with a rowing movement. Just to keep things balanced (vertical push/pull and horizontal push/pull).
  2. You might want to just add the planche and lever holds to the end of your upper body days. Then devote workout 3 to more speed work. You don’t seem to have much speed work other than sprints and the squat hops (you said this program was for strength and speed). You should add some more plyometrics or lower-body dynamic effort work for speed.
  3. Why low-rep pistols at the end of each leg workout? How about a higher rep unilateral leg exercise to finish off the leg workouts? Something like 3x12 lunges (or a lunge variation). I like to have some volume on leg days, even when doing 5x5, so I usually follow up the low-rep squats or deadlifts with a higher rep unilateral leg exercise. If you are specifically trying to work on your pistols, you can do them one day and do something else the other leg day.
  4. You have grip work 3 times per week (day 1 & 4, and then deadlifts/cleans on day 5). If you have a weak grip and are trying to build it up, then 3 x’s a week is probably too much at first. If you already have a strong grip and have done lots of grip work in the past, then 3 x’s a week will be fine. Just a tip from past experience – because if you haven’t done a lot of grip work in the past, you will need straps for workout #5 by week 2.
  5. Why the abs in every workout? Are you doing different stuff each time or just doing sit-up / crunch type stuff every time? I’d do abs maybe 3 x’s week max for athletic performance. Something like this:
    Workout 1: crunch-type variation for weighted sets of 10-20, maybe pulldown abs, too – 2-3 exercises max
    Workout 2: rotational exercises (russian twists or similar) and explosive hip rotation (high-low cable woodchops or low-high cable woodchops) – 2-4 exercises max
    Workout 3: leg-raise type variation for sets of 10-20 (hanging pikes, dragon flags, reverse crunches) 2-3 exercises max

Hope that helps some. I know it sucks to ask for advice and get nothing, so I figured I’d give you some tips.

This looks similiar to what I would set up for myself, simple yet effective. However I usually finish the workouts doing some higher repetition work (8-12).

It looks like you are training for some sport so I highly recommend you try Ian King ab program, called awesome abs, can be found on this site. I have tried it and it is very effective. Takes only 10-15 min to finsh and is set up for 4 days a week.

Also I would do clean before deadlift.

thanks guys…

i do the legendary abs workout…its really effective but i am getting a bitt board so i might look at awsome abs,and well for my grip i would say that it is preatty strong considering i have been using the heavy grippers for almost a year if not a year.

right know i am trying to build on the propper pistol forum, well my balance is a little off so im just tryen to get things straight…i tihnk that after 3 weeks if it looks like my balance improved then i will chance it to a higher volume.