Mashed Potatoes

why do these have a bad reputation? I make them with just potatoes, some combo of cream/butter/olive oil/cheese, and spices

You seriously asking what’s wrong with cream, butter, cheese. Olive oil not bad maybe 15-30mls a day depending on diet. Potatoes are a good carb better than sweet potato in a recent study.
Have a read around the forum

[quote]Botastic wrote:
You seriously asking what’s wrong with cream, butter, cheese. Olive oil not bad maybe 15-30mls a day depending on diet. Potatoes are a good carb better than sweet potato in a recent study.
Have a read around the forum[/quote]

I’d have the cream, butter and cheese before I had the potatoes…

Potatoes get a bad rap because they are a simple starchy carb with a good number of anti-nutrients, beyond being a carb source, have pretty much no positive nutritional value.

Anything they can do, something else can do better.

Keep downing them man. If you freaking like them, eat them. For some reason they were considered inferior to other carbs and touted as not being good for you. This wasn’t true and isn’t true. Our so-called dietary scientists have fucked up before and will continue to do so. Remember how bad eggs and milk used to be?

They’re not really good until they have a ton of butter, and then it’s just too damn many calories.

[quote]Spartiates wrote:
Potatoes get a bad rap because they are a simple starchy carb with a good number of anti-nutrients, beyond being a carb source, have pretty much no positive nutritional value.

[/quote]

in for teh lulz

[quote]Brotastic wrote:
You seriously asking what’s wrong with cream, butter, cheese. [/quote]

You’ve piqued my curiosity.

Do tell, I am seriously asking.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]Brotastic wrote:

[/quote]

Well, if you’re lactose intolerant, you could shit yourself?

Mashed potatoes are awesome, especially with meatballs and gravy.

[quote]gabex wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]Brotastic wrote:

[/quote]

Well, if you’re lactose intolerant, you could shit yourself?[/quote]

Hahahaha, simple and to the point.

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:
Mashed potatoes are awesome, especially with meatballs and gravy.[/quote]

now were talking, onion gravy too…

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]Brotastic wrote:

[/quote]

Saturated fat content and off course what gabex just said…lol

[quote]Brotastic wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]Brotastic wrote:

[/quote]

Saturated fat content and off course what gabex just said…lol[/quote]

So saturated fat is bad and we shouldn’t eat it?

Also, of all dairy products, those three in particular (sour cream, cheese, and butter) are amongst the lowest in terms of lactose content and handled well even by the majority of those with lactose intolerance, so not something the non-LI should bother concerning themselves with.

fuck, this thread made me hungry for some mashed potatos, but i’m trying to cut, fuck you guys =(

I’m pretty lazy when it comes to sides, so I buy frozen mashed potatoes from Trader Joes. They come in little cubes, and you microwave as many as you need (to hit your carb intake). They are pretty damn good, too. And yes, they ingredients do contain milk, butter, and cream. I’m pretty sure that fat per serving is only like 3g, too.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]Brotastic wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]Brotastic wrote:

[/quote]

Also, of all dairy products, those three in particular (sour cream, cheese, and butter) are amongst the lowest in terms of lactose content and handled well even by the majority of those with lactose intolerance, so not something the non-LI should bother concerning themselves with.[/quote]

Well it is bad, but we need some of it, just not too much, cutting it out all together, which would be nearly impossible will effect training and gains. There’s an article on here about it.

[quote]Botastic wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]Brotastic wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]Brotastic wrote:

[/quote]

Also, of all dairy products, those three in particular (sour cream, cheese, and butter) are amongst the lowest in terms of lactose content and handled well even by the majority of those with lactose intolerance, so not something the non-LI should bother concerning themselves with.[/quote]

Well it is bad, but we need some of it, just not too much, cutting it out all together, which would be nearly impossible will effect training and gains. There’s an article on here about it.[/quote]

No. It’s not inherently bad. But as with anything else, too much of something will have negative effects, depending on the person.

Water - Well it is bad, but we need some of it, just not too much, cutting it out all together, which would be nearly impossible will effect training and gains. There’s an article somewhere about it.

Why are people still afraid of the saturated fat monster?

[quote]BiP wrote:
Water - Well it is bad, but we need some of it, just not too much, cutting it out all together, which would be nearly impossible will effect training and gains. There’s an article somewhere about it.

Why are people still afraid of the saturated fat monster?[/quote]

Because the global marketing monster tells them to be.

[quote]Botastic wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]Brotastic wrote:

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]Brotastic wrote:

[/quote]

Well it is bad, but we need some of it, just not too much, cutting it out all together, which would be nearly impossible will effect training and gains. There’s an article on here about it.[/quote]

Just FYI, I was being patronizing.

Irrespective of the context of the rest of the diet, mashed potatoes aren’t bad.