T Nation

Masculinity: Is It Just Sociological?

In class we have been discussing gender roles. They are basically teaching us that being “masculine” or “feminine” is just a role you have been taught to play by society. Comments and opinions?

Nature vs. Nurture. etc.

I don’t know how true that is. I think you can find common behaviours among males of different cultures, regardless of the society that the individual’s been raised in, I suspect there is a common thread of masculinity.

I’m the guy who paints his nails.

Study me!

Extremist views typically follow a similar pattern - they are overly simplistic.

Problem

-Define masculine and feminine,

aren’t these definitions inherently biased by social roles

• If you placed 10 girls and 10 boys on an isolated island at a very early age, provided them with food to survive but no social structure, do you think their wouldn’t be sexual differences in behavior. And specifically that many of these differences wouldn’t coincide with our current understanding of masculine and feminine.

-There was a dbl blind study done on gibbons in which male and female gibbons were given toy trucks and baby dolls. Females spent significantly more time playing with dolls while males spent significantly more time playing with trucks

A lot of that theory that gender roles and behavior are based on culture and society and not on nature came from Margaret Mead’s work. Since her death it has come under scrutiny and even attack.

…Men have more testosterone. Anyone who doesn’t believe that makes a difference in personality is a moron.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
If that was a product of society, than I say fuck nature.

SOCIETY! I DEMAND IT OF YOU! MOLD ME![/quote]

That cigarette is rather phallic…

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
Beowolf wrote:

SOCIETY! I DEMAND IT OF YOU! MOLD ME!

That cigarette is rather phallic…[/quote]

If you’re insinuating my man-crush is gay I swear I’ll hunt you down and rape your ass.

<_<

There are cases of hermaphrodites who were raised as little girls (the mother insisted on having the genitals cut off) but who then rejected this later on to be boys. They dressed and acted like boys after they grew up and moved out.

For anyone to say that our sexuality is simply taught to us would be a gross misunderstanding of how complex our own biology is.

LOL total bullshit.

I just posted this on a different thread, but I just had a monster of a snake chase me up my driveway, so I screamed and luckily Dad was there and calmly stopped it with a stick. That is masculine.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
There are cases of hermaphrodites who were raised as little girls (the mother insisted on having the genitals cut off) but who then rejected this later on to be boys. They dressed and acted like boys after they grew up and moved out.

For anyone to say that our sexuality is simply taught to us would be a gross misunderstanding of how complex our own biology is. [/quote]

I completely agree. This is my Human sexual behavior class (psych). One day we were discussing hermaphrodites and transsexuals. Our professor was telling us how men/women who feel that they are the wrong gender trapped in the opposite’s body will take hormone therapy (steroids) to change their sex characteristics.

I asked her if this was legal and she said “yes, it is completely legal”. I then asked her “So do you think that its weird that people can take testosterone to change their genitalia, but its illegal to take testosterone for atheltic performance?”
She replied saying that “The people who take steroids to bulk up are cheaters”.

I just don’t think I can agree with all the liberal bs that they try to pull on us as facts. Ill take it with a grain of salt.

[quote]elano wrote:
In class we have been discussing gender roles. They are basically teaching us that being “masculine” or “feminine” is just a role you have been taught to play by society. Comments and opinions?[/quote]

Horse Hockey.

Men are bigger and stronger. Our brains are more spatially oriented, for hunting and for looking for the nearest cold beer and hot pussy.

Who ever is teaching you what I think that is is trying to confuse you. They should be put in the dustbin of history, with that leftist muck. Walk out and demand your tuition back.

[quote]elano wrote:
Professor X wrote:

For anyone to say that our sexuality is simply taught to us would be a gross misunderstanding of how complex our own biology is.

I completely agree. This is my Human sexual behavior class (psych). One day we were discussing hermaphrodites and transsexuals. Our professor was telling us how men/women who feel that they are the wrong gender trapped in the opposite’s body will take hormone therapy (steroids) to change their sex characteristics.

I asked her if this was legal and she said “yes, it is completely legal”. I then asked her “So do you think that its weird that people can take testosterone to change their genitalia, but its illegal to take testosterone for atheltic performance?”
She replied saying that “The people who take steroids to bulk up are cheaters”.

I just don’t think I can agree with all the liberal bs that they try to pull on us as facts. Ill take it with a grain of salt.[/quote]

When I was in college, I would have argued against that. Now, I would sit there quietly and simply hope the class ended soon.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Vicomte wrote:
Beowolf wrote:

If you’re insinuating my man-crush is gay I swear I’ll hunt you down and rape your ass.

<_<[/quote]

Not gay. He just enjoys sucking on the wet end of a smoking hot dick-substitute, drawing it’s fluid essence deep, deep into his lungs, then exhaling and sighing with pleasure. He is addicted to this. He does this every day.

Like I said, not gay.

[quote]HotCarl28 wrote:

-There was a dbl blind study done on gibbons in which male and female gibbons were given toy trucks and baby dolls. Females spent significantly more time playing with dolls while males spent significantly more time playing with trucks [/quote]

I just question what is inherently masculine about trucks and feminine about dolls. If we consider action figures to be dolls too(miniature anthropomorphic chunks of plastic or wood, basically) then the femininity attached to them makes no sense to me.

Some of it is some of it isn’t. You will not convince me that a preference for pink is biological but more sexuality related behaviors are more likely. But not all. Masculinity encompasses a huge set of traits from physical attributes like jawline to a preference for beer over chocolate choo-choos. So, some will be sociological and some not.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
Vicomte wrote:
Beowolf wrote:

<_<

Not gay. He just enjoys sucking on the wet end of a smoking hot dick-substitute, drawing it’s fluid essence deep, deep into his lungs, then exhaling and sighing with pleasure. He is addicted to this. He does this every day.

Like I said, not gay.[/quote]

Sometimes a cigarette is just a cigarette…

[quote]debraD wrote:
Some of it is some of it isn’t. You will not convince me that a preference for pink is biological but more sexuality related behaviors are more likely. But not all. Masculinity encompasses a huge set of traits from physical attributes like jawline to a preference for beer over chocolate choo-choos. So, some will be sociological and some not.[/quote]

Given beer’s alleged estrogenic qualities, I find it funny that it is so associated with masculinity.