T Nation

Marzouk's Tip of the Day

So i was at the gym today knocking out sets of 8-10 dips.

Getting a little frustrated with not being able to add weight (my gym kinda sucks) The bars are elevated on one of them pull up, dip, leg raise station things, so i couldn’t grip a dumb bell with my feet as you have to jump to get in the starting position.

Looking around for something to use, i notice my drawstring in my shorts.

Pulled that bastard out made a loop in one end, pulled it through itself and tied the other end to a 35lb plate.

Weighted dips.

Yes i awesome.

The knot getting really tight under the weight and taking 10 mins to untie, not so awesome.

But the what the hell, i got to do weighted dips.

Tip of the day… Improvise.

That is all!

You could just ask someone to rest a plate on your lap too?

Good point. But i like my legs in line with my body and my knees bent when doing dips.

I highly doubt the tensile strength of a draw string found in a common pair of shorts will allow for any appreciable weight to be used. It’s cool that you found a way to improvise, but seriously I see something painful happening to you in the future when that string decides to give out.

Also, are you actually going to be posting tips on a daily basis?

It was quite a thick string, kinda like Abercrombie jogger string thickness.

I’m guna try and post a tip every day, not always about training just general life stuff.

Cooking, fucking, training etc…

FWIW my tip wasn’t the string, improvisation was the point of the post.

Why not just make this for tips in general.

When it’s time to unload deadlifts…roll the first plates on both sides onto a 2.5lb plate. Makes unloading a lot easier.

If you put a grapefruit in a tubesock, it’s less likely to leave bruises.

My tip would be to use some aerobic steps.

What about using a band around the foot rest, and hooking your legs through it, behind your bent knees?

Or if you’ve got a full sized band, over your shoulders?

[quote]inkaddict wrote:
What about using a band around the foot rest, and hooking your legs through it, behind your bent knees?

Or if you’ve got a full sized band, over your shoulders?[/quote]

Not everyone is as cool as you and DF. We can’t all have lots of bands and things

I do that all the time ink. Bands over my shoulders and under the foot rest thing. I also hold a DB in between my quads if I need to. I definitely couldn’t use a string it’d break. I’ve comandeered those foot hook things that are made out of nylon straps and have a buckle on them for the cable machines and buckle a few together to make a pseudo belt and loop plates through that. I’ve gone up to 140 lbs of added weight and it hasn’t broke yet.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
I do that all the time ink. Bands over my shoulders and under the foot rest thing. I also hold a DB in between my quads if I need to. I definitely couldn’t use a string it’d break. I’ve comandeered those foot hook things that are made out of nylon straps and have a buckle on them for the cable machines and buckle a few together to make a pseudo belt and loop plates through that. I’ve gone up to 140 lbs of added weight and it hasn’t broke yet.[/quote]
Hell yeah, that’s sweet.

And Greg, EVERYONE can be as cool as me, it’s really not hard since I’m not very cool.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

Not everyone is as cool as you and DF. We can’t all have lots of bands and things [/quote]

You forgot me fool. Also I also use chains for these on occasion.

Buy a 4’ length of 1/2" chain and one of those carabiner-looking clips at Lowe’s or home depot. Would probably cost about $10-15. Easy, cheap, portable dipping/chinning belt.

If your wife/girlfriend won’t get into shape, try hitting her.

[quote]byukid wrote:
If you put a grapefruit in a tubesock, it’s less likely to leave bruises.[/quote]

LOL

It also stays put better when wearing it in your pants when going to clubs.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]inkaddict wrote:

Not everyone is as cool as you and DF. We can’t all have lots of bands and things [/quote]

You forgot me fool. Also I also use chains for these on occasion.[/quote]

haha awww poor LM, feeling left out?

You can get back in if you load the actual video of the ass kicking 9 year old, the one you posted in my log doesnt work

Guys i live in egypt here!

Bands…

Nylon strap buckle things…

My gym is a shit hole, the machines are leveled with 5lb plates, the mirrors look like been stolen from a circus, the rubber matting on the floor reacts with my trainers and i get static shocks all the time.

Which brings me back to my tip… IMPROVISE.

And guys the thread name is Marzouk’s Tips… no1 else’s lol!

Be enlightened… :slight_smile:

Guys my gym is a shithole…

Its the basement of an apartment building. No nylon buck strap things. No bands.

It smells bad.

Hence the tip of the day, i used what i had. Very Mcguyver of me tbh!

And this is Marzouk’s tip of the day… No1 Else’s.

Stay tuned guys more to come!

I wish i had chains tho :frowning:

Guys my gym is a shithole…

Its the basement of an apartment building. No nylon buck strap things. No bands.

It smells bad.

Hence the tip of the day, i used what i had. Very Mcguyver of me tbh!

And this is Marzouk’s tip of the day… No1 Else’s.

Stay tuned guys more to come!

I wish i had chains tho :frowning: