Marvels: The Avengers (Trailer)

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:
Both Hulk story lines were utterly disappointing. Why Norton is considered better is beyond me. They both missed the mark completely. Dr. Banner became the Hulk because he risked his own life to save Rick Jones from getting killed by a Gamma bomb test. Rick then becomes Dr. Banner’s confidant.

Dr. Banner becomes the Hulk not because of self experimentation or because his dad messed up his genes, no, it is because of an accident, a heroic deed gone wrong (for him). Rick Jones actually became such and integral character/side kick that they even teamed him up with Captain America and Captain Mar-Vell.

The Hulk character was genius and it is retarded to change the way Bannar turned into the Hulk. How do you identify with a guy who experimented on himself and got himself messed up? You don’t. You can identify with the guy bullied that’s getting bit by a spider and the guy who saw his parents killed in front of him when he was ten as well as the guy hit with gamma rays while trying to save some dumb ass who accepted a dare driving on a bomb testing site. The original stories are what drew us in to these characters and stories and to deviate from it is arrogant.

Norton and Lee do not know better and that character should not have been messed with at all. Why did Spiderman work so well? Why did Batman work so well? They stuck as close to the original story as possible. Why did Superman Returns suck a large amount of monkey balls? He knocked Lois Lane up, did not tell her he was Clark Kent and left. Wow, talk about veering away from what your character stands for. No amount of special effects can make up for that.

Hulk is no different, actually, with Hulk especially they should have stayed close to the original story. He turned into a monster because he saved somebody and his journey is now trying to find a way to become human again. Awesome story line and they fucked it up.

/end rant (love that character damnit :))[/quote]

Dude, they left that “caught in a gamma explosion” origin behind quite a while ago…like, the 1970’s.

Ang Lee’s Hulk wasn’t a failure…but they left most of the audience behind by explaining how the Hulk adapts to sea creatures who regrow limbs. Most of the general public hasn’t ever read a Hulk comic but DID grow up on the Tv version where he was a simple accident.

It looks like they met in the middle by the looks of him. I don’t think the Ed Norton Hulk is even the Banner that he wanted us to see.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:
Both Hulk story lines were utterly disappointing. Why Norton is considered better is beyond me. They both missed the mark completely. Dr. Banner became the Hulk because he risked his own life to save Rick Jones from getting killed by a Gamma bomb test. Rick then becomes Dr. Banner’s confidant.

Dr. Banner becomes the Hulk not because of self experimentation or because his dad messed up his genes, no, it is because of an accident, a heroic deed gone wrong (for him). Rick Jones actually became such and integral character/side kick that they even teamed him up with Captain America and Captain Mar-Vell.

The Hulk character was genius and it is retarded to change the way Bannar turned into the Hulk. How do you identify with a guy who experimented on himself and got himself messed up? You don’t. You can identify with the guy bullied that’s getting bit by a spider and the guy who saw his parents killed in front of him when he was ten as well as the guy hit with gamma rays while trying to save some dumb ass who accepted a dare driving on a bomb testing site. The original stories are what drew us in to these characters and stories and to deviate from it is arrogant.

Norton and Lee do not know better and that character should not have been messed with at all. Why did Spiderman work so well? Why did Batman work so well? They stuck as close to the original story as possible. Why did Superman Returns suck a large amount of monkey balls? He knocked Lois Lane up, did not tell her he was Clark Kent and left. Wow, talk about veering away from what your character stands for. No amount of special effects can make up for that.

Hulk is no different, actually, with Hulk especially they should have stayed close to the original story. He turned into a monster because he saved somebody and his journey is now trying to find a way to become human again. Awesome story line and they fucked it up.

/end rant (love that character damnit :))[/quote]

Dude, they left that “caught in a gamma explosion” origin behind quite a while ago…like, the 1970’s.[/quote]

And your point being? Yes, they left it behind in the TV series but not in the comics. They did not significantly change Banner till 1987 and after 1991 they really went of the deep end with it. They restarted the series at least 5 times and it never regained the popularity it once had.

But your point is moot as it SHOULD NOT have been left behind at all in the movies. The ticket sales and the comic sales/troubles prove this. Who are the ones buying the tickets? The guys that grew up with the characters. The guys who have been waiting their whole life to see them on the big screen. I started reading Hulk when I was 6 (1974) and still have every comic. Hulk had been around then already for 12 years. Not as a stand alone but with the FF and the Avengers. Cool as shit. We are the ones buying the tickets and we want to see what we grew up with. Same reason for Spidey and that’s why the sales were off the hook.

They were lucky that the TV show did an excellent job at character building and that Bill Bixby is phenomenal actor. Even Ferrigno did a great job with his pained looks and other facial expressions indicating the deep pain with the ‘monster’. The movies did a poor job of doing that.

Ever since they abandoned that initial story-line the Hulk hasn’t been the same nor has it enjoyed the same popularity. And this is true for virtually every super hero character.
Every time they change an ‘origin’ of a character they lose readership as they are simply not as good as the original ones. The Hulk was based on Jeckyll, Hyde, Frankenstein and the Jewish Golem idea. All these things draw you into a character like nothing else. Nothing Norton or Lee did drew you into the character. Especially not the Hulk himself. You simply cannot deny this.
Even if they had wanted to change the gamma explosion angle, they should not have changed that he became the Hulk by accident, while performing a heroic deed.

The movies did not do well because of what I mentioned, whether you actually think Norton was on the right track or not. Those that are passionate about the Hulk character en masse hated it because of writers not sticking to the original story. That’s fact and you cannot argue with it.

It would be similar to Spiderman getting his powers after experimenting on himself with spider venom. That has implications for the mind set of the character. It changes the ‘reluctant hero’ aspect we all love and that is especially prevalent in the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby characters.

ah well, can’t believe I am spending my day of arguing on behalf of the Hulk :slight_smile:

God I am a geek.

And so are you, so you are alright in my book :slight_smile:

[quote] Professor X wrote:
Ang Lee’s Hulk wasn’t a failure…but they left most of the audience behind by explaining how the Hulk adapts to sea creatures who regrow limbs. Most of the general public hasn’t ever read a Hulk comic but DID grow up on the Tv version where he was a simple accident. [/quote]

Yeah…the sea anemones. I knew there was something I forgot to mention…

[quote]
It looks like they met in the middle by the looks of him. I don’t think the Ed Norton Hulk is even the Banner that he wanted us to see. [/quote]

Agreed. In one respect I can’t blame Marvel for playing it safe (they had a LOT of balls to pull off The Avengers movies. One flop could have put it all under, but they’ve achieved what no other studio has ever done and it’s a hell of an accomplishment), but they limited themselves by not letting Norton have free reign on the script.

I may have mentioned in the Captain America movie thread that ‘Ruffalo Hulk’s’ design is supposed to show that Hulk has aged since the last movie, so his build is less ripped. This is also the first time Hulk’s facial features will be based on the actor’s, so we will see echoes of Ruffalo in the Hulk (they planned to do this with Ang Lee’s Hulk, but early tests didn’t work out that well, so they scrapped the idea).

Best part is when Loki says “I have an army.” and Stark says, “we have a Hulk.”

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
Best part is when Loki says “I have an army.” and Stark says, “we have a Hulk.”[/quote]

Came in here to post the exact same thing, perfect teaser line to get someone amped up for the flick.

Based on that, I imagine we’ll be seeing a lot more Banner then Hulk

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]XanderBuilt wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:
Fuck, no Ed Norton in this?

Shame.
[/quote]

Yeah he dropped out quite some time back. I can’t say Mark Ruffalo is up to the task - I only remember him in ROMCOMs - which is to say “not at all” lol[/quote]

Robert Downey jr. worked with him on Zodiac - I get the feeling that he put Ruffalo’s name forward when they recast Banner. If you want to see Ruffalo do a serious role, watch Shutter Island: he plays DiCaprio’s partner and without giving too much away, that movie required all the cast to be able to act.

I don’t have a problem with Ruffalo in the role, and I can see why Marvel went for a lesser name after the creative differences with Norton, but I’d have preferred to see Sharlto Copley play Banner. Apparently he was top in fan polls when Norton dropped out. [/quote]

Cool. Yes I’d forgotten about Shutter. Very good film by all actors. I haven’t seen Zodiac - I REALLY should.

I’ve only seen two films with Copley (like most people) and liked both of them. District 9 is one of the quirkiest action packed films I’ve seen and he did Murdock great justice in A Team.

How was the Super Bowl trailer?[/quote]

I saw it for the first time when Nards posted it. I’m a fan of Joss Whedon’s work anyway, especially Firefly and Serenity. Some people hate his dialogue, but he’s the ideal choice for this on a number of levels: I can’t think of another director who can wrangle a large cast without some of the characters getting eclipsed - as happens with this type of ensemble movie (Streetfighter anyone?)- plus he has experience actually writing comic books.

This is one occasion where a monumental effort would be required to ruin it.[/quote]

Trailer looks excellent - and I agree a very good writer is needed to weave a tale that melds in such Hollywood heavyweights.

I wouldn’t mind seeing SF being made again - with a better script and no JCVD.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

Fuck, no Ed Norton in this?

Shame.
[/quote]

Norton was supposed to have script approval as part of his contract (that was one of the reasons he took the role in the first place).

He wanted to make changes to the script that would have explored darker themes (one of his ideas was to have Banner attempt suicide by blowing his own brains out, but the Hulk changed at the last second after the bullet had left the gun in an act of self preservation to stop Banner from killing them both. The part where Banner jumps out of the helicopter to fight Abomination after being cured would have made more sense if that scene made it to the movie).

After Ang Lee’s version bombed (and it wasn’t even that bad, just way too complicated for an origin story), Marvel decided to go completely in the opposite direction and make an action movie based on fan feedback, so everything that was criticized in the first movie was out. Consequently, most of Norton’s ideas were vetoed and that’s why Norton left.
[/quote]

A fine line is walked when the fans are allowed the opportunity to influence a film. That’s all I’m saying.

Nortons ideas were badass and it’s a shame that sort of thing didn’t get in the movie.

But, for as big as he is, I hope the Hulk isn’t on screen that much and that there’s more of a focus on Banner. When it comes down to it, anytime Hulk is on screen it’s a cartoon or at least a video game look. Nothing against the chartacter, I love the Hulk, but getting him on the big screen realistically is always going to be hard.

I like Ang Lee’s version. Sam Eliot? Eric Bana? Jennifer Connoly?

I’m in.

It was all the screen wipes and split screen techniques they used (to make it look more of a comic book I assume) that had me scratching my head.[/quote]

Disclaimer : Ok I’m biased when I say this being Australian too.

Eric Bana has evolved brilliantly as an actor. He was a stand up comedian and had some great characters on Australian comedy television in the nineties. Next thing we know he played the lead character (a hitman) in the film Chopper (powerful flick) and he moved through the ranks in Hollywood. Very glad to see him, (a Victorian no less!), do well.

Eric Bana has evolved brilliantly as an actor. He was a stand up comedian and had some great characters on Australian comedy television in the nineties. Next thing we know he played the lead character (a hitman) in the film Chopper (powerful flick) and he moved through the ranks in Hollywood. Very glad to see him, (a Victorian no less!), do well.
[/quote]

I’m a massive fan of Bana. The guy has pulled off some very good performances - Chopper and Munich in particular spring to mind. He’s one of the few actors whose presence in a film raises my interest in seeing it.

Bana was also good in Hanna, it rhymes!

I won’t de-rail this topic with Bana but search Bana, Full Frontal, Poida on you tube. It’s Australian humour so I agree 95% of the world’s population won’t get it. But…she’ll be right mate.

How about a new trailer.

How about a new trailer.

As I said in the GS thread, I was disappointed Norton didn’t make the team but I will now see this movie. I love the look of the new Hulk.

Awesome.

[quote]imhungry wrote:
Awesome.[/quote]

Definitely will go see that!

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

How about a new trailer.

As I said in the GS thread, I was disappointed Norton didn’t make the team but I will now see this movie. I love the look of the new Hulk. [/quote]

Me too, oh my God, fracking goose bumps all over my body. How he caught Iron Man. Mental orgasm all the way. I like this Hulk, a lot.
Not too crazy about the Captain America outfit (or they guy playing him…hard to shake the fact he was Torch…)

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:

Not too crazy about the Captain America outfit (or they guy playing him…hard to shake the fact he was Torch…)[/quote]

Same here. I don’t think it’s the suit…it’s the guy in it. He isn’t muscular or big enough overall to command the respect Cap would…and I also think he reads a little too young for that role also. Cap had been through more shit in his own time before he got flung into ours. In the movie, all of his exploits seemed to happen in less than a year or so.

His voice should be deeper. he should make you take a step back due to his size. I’m not even hating that much on his own movie because overall, they did a decent job.

I just think that once he became Captain America, there should have been about 5 years of military action or more and about 20 extra pounds gained.

Both him and Thor look smaller here than they did in their own movies.

Liam Neeson as Cap? Only slightly in jest. Doesn’t have the muscularity but has the on screen presence.

RE Cap: one thing I didn’t realize while watching the movie is that the story actually takes place over a three-year period: most of the time lapse occurs during the montage when the original Avengers were chasing HYDRA across Europe. That would allow them the option of revisiting WWII in a sequel and explains the pacing issues, but, out of all the solo movies so far, I feel that Cap could’ve benefitted most from a sequel before the team up.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:

Not too crazy about the Captain America outfit (or they guy playing him…hard to shake the fact he was Torch…)[/quote]

Same here. I don’t think it’s the suit…it’s the guy in it. He isn’t muscular or big enough overall to command the respect Cap would…and I also think he reads a little too young for that role also. Cap had been through more shit in his own time before he got flung into ours. In the movie, all of his exploits seemed to happen in less than a year or so.

His voice should be deeper. he should make you take a step back due to his size. I’m not even hating that much on his own movie because overall, they did a decent job.

I just think that once he became Captain America, there should have been about 5 years of military action or more and about 20 extra pounds gained.

Both him and Thor look smaller here than they did in their own movies.[/quote]

Amen.