Martial Arts + Strength Training

So, I’ve decided to go ahead and get in shape. I’m counting calories and doing a lot of cardio. But, I also started martial arts. Now I know that if I want power I need to hit the weights. But I don’t want to gain mass, I’m planning on getting as lean as I can. Right now I’m 6ft and 250lb, I want to get as lean as possible but I also want power. So anything you guys can recommend in terms of strength training for the martial artist?

[quote]Rodaric wrote:
So, I’ve decided to go ahead and get in shape. I’m counting calories and doing a lot of cardio. But, I also started martial arts. Now I know that if I want power I need to hit the weights. But I don’t want to gain mass, I’m planning on getting as lean as I can. Right now I’m 6ft and 250lb, I want to get as lean as possible but I also want power. So anything you guys can recommend in terms of strength training for the martial artist?[/quote]

Which martial arts or hand to hand combat and self defense styles are you learning? That’s gonna be a big factor. If its something like Krav Maga your basic brute strength lifting exercises are a good call, if its Wu Shu functional, ROM, and compound lifting exercises are gonna be the way to go.

My suggestion is to do a little research on movie stars and marital artists and see what supplemental training they do. Example, Kelly Hu, X2, The Scorpion King, is a black belt in Karate, she also does a lot of cardio as well as five full pilates sessions a week.

Jennifer Garner, who studies Krav Maga and Kick boxing on a normal basis and had to learn all that fancy wu shu stuff for Daredevil and Elektra, does regular weight training sessions with high reps low weight.

Ben Afflek, Brad Pit, and Ryan Reynolds all had incredible, and somewhat unconventional training exercises while they learned their specific martial arts styles for Daredevil, Troy, and Blade Trinity respectively.

Keep us posted on what you find works for you though, as a martial artist myself i am always looking for new and exciting ways to work out!

Assuming you have no prior expecience in weightlifting, I think a simple 3 day a week full body routine, starting with 3 sets of 12-15 reps for the first 6-8 weeks would be the best approach to develop some overall strength,endurance and learn the basic movements (squat, deadlift, benchpress, bent row/pullup, military press).

If you do not want to gain muscle mass and want to loose body fat, just keep your calorie intake at maintenance level or below.

[quote]Agent Frost wrote:
Rodaric wrote:
So, I’ve decided to go ahead and get in shape. I’m counting calories and doing a lot of cardio. But, I also started martial arts. Now I know that if I want power I need to hit the weights. But I don’t want to gain mass, I’m planning on getting as lean as I can. Right now I’m 6ft and 250lb, I want to get as lean as possible but I also want power. So anything you guys can recommend in terms of strength training for the martial artist?

Which martial arts or hand to hand combat and self defense styles are you learning? That’s gonna be a big factor. If its something like Krav Maga your basic brute strength lifting exercises are a good call, if its Wu Shu functional, ROM, and compound lifting exercises are gonna be the way to go.

My suggestion is to do a little research on movie stars and marital artists and see what supplemental training they do. Example, Kelly Hu, X2, The Scorpion King, is a black belt in Karate, she also does a lot of cardio as well as five full pilates sessions a week.

Jennifer Garner, who studies Krav Maga and Kick boxing on a normal basis and had to learn all that fancy wu shu stuff for Daredevil and Elektra, does regular weight training sessions with high reps low weight.

Ben Afflek, Brad Pit, and Ryan Reynolds all had incredible, and somewhat unconventional training exercises while they learned their specific martial arts styles for Daredevil, Troy, and Blade Trinity respectively.

Keep us posted on what you find works for you though, as a martial artist myself i am always looking for new and exciting ways to work out!
[/quote]
I’m studying both Jeet Kune Do/Jun Fan and Kali.

Forgot to ask. Are there any supplements I should take while strength training?