Martial Arts Class After Weight Lifting

Hello, I’ve been a long time lurker here. Registered only recently.
I just have a quick question. If I were to do back and biceps in the morning, and one or two hours later go to a two hour long martial arts class, would this detriment my lifting results? The martial arts class I go to has about 45 minutes of conditioning/bodyweight cardio workouts, and then sparring + technique learning. Even though I bust my ass in the gym, I know I could do it physically. I just don’t want big triceps and a big chest…with an unproportionate back on small biceps.

Once I added in 2 back-to-back martial arts classes (Taekwondo and Haidong Gumdo) to my routine (on Tues and Thurs), I noticed that my lifts were starting to suffer for the remainder of the week. I lift on Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sat. My lifts on Monday were the same or improving, but after those classes my other lifts started to stagnate. Taekwondo utilized a lot of kicks, while Haidong Gumdo (Korean sword marital art) utilizes a lot of upper body work. Deadlifts on Wed were noticeably weaker, Bench on Friday was a little down. Squats on Sat didn’t seem too bad off, and Military Press on Mondays were completely fine - maybe better.

I realize you’re asking specifically about doing martial arts a little after a workout, though. In your case it may not be too bad. Some of it will depend on your style, intensity, and level of ability in your martial arts class, also.

[quote]Visgrail wrote:
Once I added in 2 back-to-back martial arts classes (Taekwondo and Haidong Gumdo) to my routine (on Tues and Thurs), I noticed that my lifts were starting to suffer for the remainder of the week. I lift on Mon, Wed, Fri, and Sat. My lifts on Monday were the same or improving, but after those classes my other lifts started to stagnate. Taekwondo utilized a lot of kicks, while Haidong Gumdo (Korean sword marital art) utilizes a lot of upper body work. Deadlifts on Wed were noticeably weaker, Bench on Friday was a little down. Squats on Sat didn’t seem too bad off, and Military Press on Mondays were completely fine - maybe better.
[/quote]

Yeah, but if I recall correctly, you only eat like 4 days a week, of course you’ll have trouble recovering.

OP: There are a lot of athletes who deal with way harder training regimes and get by just fine. It might not be optimal, but more food and sleep goes a long way.

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]Visgrail wrote:
[/quote]

Yeah, but if I recall correctly, you only eat like 4 days a week, of course you’ll have trouble recovering.

OP: There are a lot of athletes who deal with way harder training regimes and get by just fine. It might not be optimal, but more food and sleep goes a long way.[/quote]

Once I upped my training’s frequency and intensity (shortly after the posts you’re referring to), I switched to the MAG-10 Pulse Fast for my fasting days (which I limit to 2 a week now, instead of 3). My recovery time in relation to my nutrition isn’t what’s affecting it at this point. I could be wrong, of course.

Again, it all depends on what you’re doing and how hard you’re doing it.