Anyone have any good ones? I've been reading a few right now that I think everyone with any interest in keeping their asses safe in the street should check out, and I'd like to see any other books people think are good.
1) Meditations on Violence by Rory Miller. One of the greatest books I've read yet on the subject. Guy's a prison guard and former (I think) SWAT member. No jokes, no bullshit, straight up shit about the nature of violence, and how much different it is from what you see in the movies and in the ring.
2) The Little Black Book of Violence - Lawrence Kane and Kris Wilder. A kind of encyclopedia of all types of violence. Goes into tons of different aspects of violence, also addresses how to deal with cops, media, etc. One of the best all around books I've read on the subject.
3) Cheap Shots, Ambushes, and Other Lessons by Marc Macyoung. Still the best book I've seen yet. Big intro to violence, goes into a whole shitload of psychology on the types of guys you see in the street. It really helped me put into context alot of what I had seen go on over my life. I've read it a million times, and honestly I learn something knew every time I get older.
4) In Search of the Warrior Spirit by Richard Strozzi-Heckler. About a aikidoist who signs on to teach aikido to the men of the Army Special Forces. Incredibly interesting story, the guy is a good writer, and it's an easy (although big) read. It's cool seeing the contrast between his San Francisco pussy-hippiesh views of the world in contrast to how the SF guys view things- two completely different ideas. Definitely worth it, and interesting how the SF guys deal with things like meditation.
5) Street Escape and Evasion by Marc Macyoung. You can download it for free at Scribd.com Best, most practical guide to shit you'll actually use if you're ever being chased. Even deals with how to park in places where you might have trouble, how to keep your keys, what to do when hiding, etc. Really fucking awesome.
Anyone else got anything? I'm always looking for something to read... anything about martial arts, self-defense, the warrior mentality... etc