Martial Art with Herniated Disc

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:
3rdegreebyrne wrote:
Chances are if you have herniation at age 32, there are some underlying muscular imbalances as well. Look into self- myofascial release. I only have a bulging disk (L5-S1), chiropractic didn’t do shit for me, PT didn’t do shit (I’ve been doing MA since I was 5 - no postural muscles weakness to correct), Acupuncture helped at first but no lasting relief. Deep muscle massag just hurt - the only thing that worked was A.R.T type stuff - you should atleast look into it.

Well I just re injured it by doing…Well, I have no idea what re injured it. It was sore during the week and I woke up Friday with a spasm. It could’ve been either the leg preses or light deadlifts I did on Sunday. But would it take a whole 5 days to spasm?

It’s a chore just putting my socks on right now. So no chance of martial arts anytime soon. Chiropractic isn’t helping, PT isn’t helping. So what is A.R.T. ?[/quote]

[quote]apbt55 wrote:
Sonny S wrote:
swurvenm wrote:
try epideral steroid injections they did wonders for me! im fine nd can do all the thigns i love to do now

What exactly do they consist of, and what exactly do they do? What symptoms did you have before you tried them? Where exactly is your back injury and what type is it?

I’ve made a commitment to go to my chiro 2-3x a week for the next few weeks to help prepare me for starting to lift again and to start doing MMA or just bjj for now.

The reason I’m asking for specifics is that if I still have a lot of pain, I’ll try anything to solve it.

its a steroid injection into your spine… its an alternative to bak surgery. It strengthens the spinal cord and some small muscles around the herniated disc and helps to prevent sciatica (sp??? effect of herniated disc pinching nerve/spinal cord… symptoms: loss of strength in legs, pain shooting down legs, pain in back, pain to one side specifically…)
I had herniated L5/S1 and had severe sciatica (sp)

Ok not trying to mean, just clearing something up, an epidural is a corticosteroid injection, it is injected into epidural space (epidural space isthe space in the canal between the vertebrae and the dura mater three layers of the protective sheath of the spinal cord collectively called the dura). This is a corticosteroid in most cases a steroidal anti inflammatory medicine. It strengthens nothing in fact corticosteroids tend to cause a break down of soft tissue.

The objective of this kind of injection is to target the nerve rootes and dura near the herniation, bulge or impingement. To bring down inflammation and hopefully relieve and irritation or neural deficit caused by such physiological impairment.

Hope that helps a little bit. Had it done did, didn’t help as much as stretching and exercise. Also if you are going to have it doen make sure it is done fluoroscopically, that way they can really see where they are putting the medicine and you can too.
[/quote]

; ) thanks apbt! 17 year olds dont listen very well haha… so now out of my own curiosity,its an antiinflammatory… so is it injected in to reduce swelling and releaive the pain cause by contact of the disc and nerve???

[quote]swurvenm wrote:
apbt55 wrote:
Sonny S wrote:
swurvenm wrote:
try epideral steroid injections they did wonders for me! im fine nd can do all the thigns i love to do now

What exactly do they consist of, and what exactly do they do? What symptoms did you have before you tried them? Where exactly is your back injury and what type is it?

I’ve made a commitment to go to my chiro 2-3x a week for the next few weeks to help prepare me for starting to lift again and to start doing MMA or just bjj for now.

The reason I’m asking for specifics is that if I still have a lot of pain, I’ll try anything to solve it.

its a steroid injection into your spine… its an alternative to bak surgery. It strengthens the spinal cord and some small muscles around the herniated disc and helps to prevent sciatica (sp??? effect of herniated disc pinching nerve/spinal cord… symptoms: loss of strength in legs, pain shooting down legs, pain in back, pain to one side specifically…)
I had herniated L5/S1 and had severe sciatica (sp)

Ok not trying to mean, just clearing something up, an epidural is a corticosteroid injection, it is injected into epidural space (epidural space isthe space in the canal between the vertebrae and the dura mater three layers of the protective sheath of the spinal cord collectively called the dura). This is a corticosteroid in most cases a steroidal anti inflammatory medicine. It strengthens nothing in fact corticosteroids tend to cause a break down of soft tissue.

The objective of this kind of injection is to target the nerve rootes and dura near the herniation, bulge or impingement. To bring down inflammation and hopefully relieve and irritation or neural deficit caused by such physiological impairment.

Hope that helps a little bit. Had it done did, didn’t help as much as stretching and exercise. Also if you are going to have it doen make sure it is done fluoroscopically, that way they can really see where they are putting the medicine and you can too.

; ) thanks apbt! 17 year olds dont listen very well haha… so now out of my own curiosity,its an antiinflammatory… so is it injected in to reduce swelling and releaive the pain cause by contact of the disc and nerve???[/quote]

No problem that is why I clarified I wasn’t trying to be an ass in anyway.

That is exactly the goal, it works very well for some, I would just caution multiple injections in the same area. The most you should feel the effects from the injection is 3-6 months and that is pushing it. But you may feel better because the injection allows you freedom in movement. So you can work on the stabilizing exercises and increased mobility that will last. That is the hope in doing the injection in the first place.