Martial Art Purely for Defense

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

You really, really shouldn’t judge the entire sport of BJJ from your impression of just ONE guy. There are plenty of world class BJJ fighters, like Rodolfo Viera and Travis Stevens, that would change your mind about the stand up game of BJJ. Granted they have a Judo background, takedowns are still an integral part of jitz, even if it isn’t the focus… Much like a judoka ripping your arm off after he rag dolls you.

With that said, Gracie jiu jitsu has a certain criteria for it to be considered Gracie jiu jitsu… And one of them is ‘Is It Applicable In The Street’. If it isn’t, it is used to train for BJJ competitions, but isn’t considered to be Gracie style. [/quote]

I’m obviously not. I also did say “most gyms”, not “all”. Preaching to the choir here, sort of.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]Sifu wrote:

[quote]InflamedJoints wrote:
I would like to learn how to defend myself properly (after I recently got my ass kicked by some random person who I think was high on meth or something).

On the plus side, I have pretty good absolute strength from powerlifting, and even though my technique is poor, I can still punch pretty hard.

The negatives are many:

1. My reflexes are a bit slow. I am willing to practice blocks a lot, but movement economy would be very important for me, as I am simply not fast enough to do any advanced blocking technique. Same thing goes for dodging.

2. I have poor balance and footwork. Any training techniques that teaches this?

3. I’m not flexible enough for some types of kicks, but I do have strong legs, which makes me think I have potential to learn howw to kick quite hard, as long as I don’t have to kick high.

In short, I am willing to practice a shitload. I have never done any martial arts before. I think movement economy is very important to me. I’m a kind of stocky and big person with good strength. I can also take a puch quite well (used to get beat up a lot, just never learned how to fight back. Kind of built up some resistance. Of course, this wouldn’t work against an MMA fighter, but I just need something for basic defense out in public).

The two types of martial arts I had in mind were Krav Maga and Karate. Possibly boxing. I heard Karate is supposed to be really good at using short movements and simple blocks. Any advice on this?[/quote]

If you go the Karate route the best one is Isshinryu. The reason why is because it’s the most evolved of all the karate systems. It originated in the 1950’s and was intended to be a system for masters to learn. It does away with a lot of the awkward movements of classical karate that may have been effective against armor clad 17th century Satsuma Klan samurai but are liability against modern opponents.

There is however one important caveat, not all teachers are equal. Some teachers came in from other systems and brought a lot of classical bullshit with them.

It sounds like you are big, brawny and can take a hit. With that going for you, your lack of balance could be quite a weapon. Possibly all you need to do is close, latch onto someone and they are going down. So BJJ might work well for you. [/quote]

I’m not knocking Isshinryu or disagreeing with it’s history, but I don’t really think it’s fair to say that it is more involved than say Kyokushin as, just like boxing or Muay Thai, Kyokushin practitioners regularly spar full contact (yes I know they have that weird thing about not being able to punch to the head) and thus the art is continually evolving. I realize that the ring is different from real life and perhaps Isshinryu’s skill set is better in that context (don’t have extensive experience with the system), but I still think that statement is a bit too biased.

Also, don’t know if people are aware or not but back in 1963 Mas Oyama (founder of Kyokushin) sent three of his fighters to Thailand to answer a challenge from Thailand’s best Muay Thai fighters. Oyama’s fighters won 2 out of the 3 fights (both by KO; the loss was also due to a KO). So, I think it’s fair to say that if we are going to consider Muay Thai a legitimate striking art, that of the Karate systems you would have to also consider Kyokushin legit.

Of course, you also have examples of Karate fighters being successful in other full contact arenas (GSP, Andy Hug, Bas Rutten, and Semmy Schilt were all Kyokushin practitioners, Machida is a Shotokan practitioner, Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace were both Shorin Ryu practitioners, etc…), but in many cases those fighters adapted the arts and eventually went beyond them.

[/quote]

You need to read what I wrote again. I didn’t say Isshinryu is the most “involved” I said it’s most Evolved karate system. The reason why it’s an evolution because it does away with many, very old, standard practices, of classical karate. Some of these practices are so ubiquitous to classical karate that when people hear the word karate they automatically envision them.

From where I’m sitting, knowing what I know about karate history, some of what you wrote is absurd and also quite ironic. The lineages are very important to understanding any comparisons and you don’t know the lineages.

Kyokushin founder Mas Oyama learned Gichin Funakoshi’s Shotokan which is extremely classical. Funakoshi was a lesser student of Anko Itosu who was a great master teacher. Itosu was a top student of the great master Sokon “Bushi” Matsumura. Funakoshi was chosen to introduce karate to the Japanese because he was a teacher of Japanese etiquette, not because he was the best fighter or karate ka.

Here is what Kyokushin kata look like. This is so classical it is sickening. NOBODY FIGHTS LIKE THIS ANYMORE!

The primary stance throughout this kata is zenkutsu dachi. It’s a deep stance that doesn’t give good mobility. All punches are “corkscrew” and fully extended with the elbow locked out. The disadvantage of corkscrew punching is it’s slower, loses power and the full extension needs distance from your opponent to perform it properly. Locking the elbow means you can’t rapid fire or chain punch and if a grappler gets ahold of your arm while that elbow is locked you are fucked!

Next lineage lesson is for Shobayashi Shorin Ryu and Isshinryu. Starting again with Bushi Matsumora we move on to two of his most significant students Anko Itosu and Chotoku Kyan. Besides Funakoshi, Itosu taught the three greatest masters of the early twentieth century, Kyan, Choki Motobu and Chojun Miyagi. Their top student was Tatsuo Shimabuku who was the founder of Isshinryu.

Just after world war two Kyan died and his family wanted Tatsuo to take over as Shobayashi grand master. Since Tatsuo was already working on developing Isshinryu he declined. However Tatsuo had a younger brother Eizo who he had taught Shobayashi to, so Eizo became grand master.

Now here is where the irony comes in. The two best known practitioners of Shobayashi shorin ryu are Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace. Lewis studied directly under Eizo Shimabuku and Wallace studied under a student of Eizo Shimabuku. So both of those fighters who you think so much of, trace their lineage back through Tatsuo.

Here is another bit of history for you. In 1962 when Oyama promoted the first full contact karate tournament in North America it was won by the Isshinryu team.

The only thing that the Kyokushin system has going for it is they beat the hell out of each other. But the Isshinryu people do it too. The main difference is we don’t wail away at the body with the head being off limits. In the schools I train in the rule is if someone does that we have permission to clean their clock for them. It will teach them to guard their head.

We also hit to the groin which sets us apart from a lot of arts. That’s how Wallace lost a testicle. Another Isshinryu principle is we don’t pass up a target of opportunity. Or in other words we don’t pass on a close target to go after a farther targhet. That’s why most of our kicks and all knees go up our centerline. If you are close you either get kneed in the groin or move back to avoid it giving us room for something else. In Muay thai their knees angle up from the outside to avoid the groin and hit up in the ribs.

Another principle is we don’t use wind ups. That way we don’t telegraph technique. This also allows us to operate our limbs independently. If you watch Muay Thai fighters they can’t kick without their hands flailing around. It’s a real limitation.

Last but not least I don’t mean these critiques to denigrate Kyokushin or Muay Thai. Obviously they attract people who want to be tough. But they do have some shortcomings.

Sifu, what shortcomings does Muay Thai have?
Having been in Kyokushin, I know the short comings of karate, but don’t have enough experience with Muay Thai to know.

Best self defense is sprinting. Fact.

Going to a class will not make you bullet/knife or glass proof.
Often times a martial art inspires people with a false confidence that can land them in trouble… or hospital.
If you’d like to do a martial art- do it for your own reasons.
I think it is something you will enjoy. A martial art can completely change your life.

On a personal note; I was an outsider in a tough city for a long time.
The best defense I ever developed was a tight haircut and just looking “athletic.”
I’m being serious! That kept me from a lot of trouble.

[quote]donnydarkoirl wrote:
Best self defense is sprinting. Fact.

Going to a class will not make you bullet/knife or glass proof.
Often times a martial art inspires people with a false confidence that can land them in trouble… or hospital.
If you’d like to do a martial art- do it for your own reasons.
I think it is something you will enjoy. A martial art can completely change your life.

On a personal note; I was an outsider in a tough city for a long time.
The best defense I ever developed was a tight haircut and just looking “athletic.”
I’m being serious! That kept me from a lot of trouble.[/quote]

Whole heartedly agree with the false sense of security idea. I have a lot of aquaintences <----obviously don’t know how to spell that word----- who associate themselves with Gracie jiu jitsu or krav maga who couldn’t fight their way out of a wet toilet paper roll but they feel invincible because they workout hitting pads and practicing what to do when the blade comes or whatever. Those same ones think I am crazy or because I was a marine because I hit to hard and a million other reasons not to spar me.
I have also been a victim of such mindset. Take something you like and can believe in. Fight people in a gym to see what works and don’t work and don’t make excuses for the art or yourself when it fails

[quote]magick wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
I understand where you are coming from, but to be fair to BJJ, depending on the teacher and context it can be a very effective skill set to have and does contain the stand up techniques of Judo/wrestling though admittedly doesn’t generally put as much time into them. Many purely competition based schools/teachers do only teach the sport side though and so focus too heavily on fancy stuff and being on the ground (or purposely going to your back), which is not the same as the original self defense side of BJJ, so it is important to find a school that teaches the more Reality Based stuff if that is your purpose for training.
[/quote]

Any suggestions on BJJ schools that emphasize such things in the bay area, CA by any chance?

Or any good combat/grappling school in the bay area, CA for that matter. I would like to do judo, but current schedule and judo schools’ schedules clash rather badly.[/quote]
Ralph Gracie. Maybe Charles Gracie.

Sifu,

I was not objecting to your comment from on a lineage standpoint. Lineage is all well and good and can give an idea of the authenticity of what someone teaches (for instance if I were to claim to teach authentic Gracie Jiu-Jitsu but could not name my lineage back to the Gracies, that would/should be a red flag to anyone wondering about the authenticity of the GJJ that I teach). However, it is IMO secondary to the skill level, knowledge, teaching ability, and above all effectiveness of what someone teaches.

Regardless of who trained who the fact remains that Wallace was never defeated in full contact competition and Lewis was never defeated by any Isshinryu fighters in full contact competition. And Oyama’s guys did go to Thailand and beat 2 of 3 of the best Thai fighters on their own turf. If you can name some Isshinryu guys who went to Thailand and beat the best fighters that Thailand had to offer please name them and list the date that this/these fights happened. It’s also irrefutable that guys like GSP, Rutten, et all have competed successfully in MMA/Vale Tudo competitions. If you can name some Isshinryu guys (even guys who started out as Isshinryi guys who later branched out and added other skill sets) who have become world champions in such competitions then again please name them. I would genuinely be interested in learning about them and have nothing against Isshinryu as a system; I just lack objective evidence of it’s effectiveness against fully resisting skilled opponents. I do have evidence to support Kyokushin and Shorin Ryu (or at least guys who started out in those systems and later adapted/improved on them).

My objection to your statement was based purely on the fact that Kyokushin practices full contact sparring as a regular part of their training. As a result, just like Boxing, Muay Thai, Burmese Kickboxing, Savate, Judo, or any of the combat sports it must continue to improve and adapt even to this day. If Isshinryu also does this, then perhaps it has continued to evolve as well. If so great; again I am not super experienced with Isshinryu, but those who I have trained with did not strike me as being very comfortable sparring full contact nor did they seem to have that “hard as nails” attitude that the Kyokushin or Muay Thai guys I’ve trained with have had.

I did Muay Thai for 3 years many years ago. I always said if i got into a situation where a stronger person got hold of me i was fucked specially being a feather weight. You sound like a strong bloke so probably not an issue!

For the past year i’ve trained BJJ started more for the self defence but now also for sport. Im so much more confident if that situation arose i could limit the damage or possibly choke someone if i was to be grabbed or cornered on the street.

My BJJ coach is real good often he throws in wrestling techniques and concepts. I often feel like i’m at a grappling club not solely BJJ.

Don’t be put off going to BJJ schools in fear in being taught “Sport Jiu Jitsu” your going to become a better fighter regardless. I often role play when sparring with larger opponents imaging “ok if this was in the street can i control the guy, can i close the gap limiting his striking power, can i limit the damage and could i sweep him an disengage from the fight”

Also Sentoguy always makes sense!

[quote]zecarlo wrote:
Ralph Gracie. Maybe Charles Gracie. [/quote]

Thanks!

[quote]Pete86 wrote:
I did Muay Thai for 3 years many years ago. I always said if i got into a situation where a stronger person got hold of me i was fucked specially being a feather weight. You sound like a strong bloke so probably not an issue!

For the past year i’ve trained BJJ started more for the self defence but now also for sport. Im so much more confident if that situation arose i could limit the damage or possibly choke someone if i was to be grabbed or cornered on the street.

My BJJ coach is real good often he throws in wrestling techniques and concepts. I often feel like i’m at a grappling club not solely BJJ.

Don’t be put off going to BJJ schools in fear in being taught “Sport Jiu Jitsu” your going to become a better fighter regardless. I often role play when sparring with larger opponents imaging “ok if this was in the street can i control the guy, can i close the gap limiting his striking power, can i limit the damage and could i sweep him an disengage from the fight” [/quote]

Muay Thai teaches some very effective clinching skills which could easily be used if grabbed in a real fight, it’s just about appropriating them to the street rather than worrying about the rules of the ring. That is true for pretty much all of the combat sports though; you’ve gotta understand which tool box is best to bring to each situation and/or be able to appropriate the tools, targets, and tactics you already train to the situation.

Most sport gyms/dojos don’t ever address this though and it is mostly left up to the individual to do so. Some people come with experience of real world violence already in hand and will be able to do this well, while others do not. That is all well and good as most of these places do not claim to be training people primarily for self defense but to fight within the rules of their sport in a controlled environment. My only issue is people who don’t understand the difference or claim that they are teaching self defense but only ever teach the sport oriented stuff (because that could get people killed or seriously injured).

And even then, most of the sport based “active combat” skills will work in a real fight. The most glaring holes in their curriculum have to do with avoidance of physical violence, understanding of legal and moral factors, weapons and multiples (and environment/terrain to a degree). And all of those are very, very important and relevant topics.

I love hearing about all the old styles. Some great posts here.

I never like Kyokushin only because I think the training habit of not punching to the face would be impossible to break in a real confrontation.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I love hearing about all the old styles. Some great posts here.

I never like Kyokushin only because I think the training habit of not punching to the face would be impossible to break in a real confrontation.[/quote]

I hear you, and I’m not even suggesting that anyone choose Kyokushin, just stating that it’s tough to argue it’s legitimacy from a combative standpoint given it’s proven success in full contact arenas against other highly trained Martial Artists/Combat Athletes. It also produces some bad ass tough SOB’s. The head of iCAT Greece came from a Kyokushin background and during his black belt test had all of his teeth either punched or kicked out (has a full set of false teeth now)! Now, I’m not saying that’s a good idea nor do I endorse such practices, but damn, that’s definitely someone who I wouldn’t want to meet in a dark alley.

Also, I’m not certain, but I believe at least one of the KO’s by the Kyokushin guys against the Muay Thai guys was a punch to the head. So, I think they can do it effectively, they just don’t (which I still agree isn’t optimal).

The reason they don’t is because Kyokushin-kai don’t like to practice with equipment (gloves, shinpads, etc). Punches to the head can only be “administered”, legally, if an individual is wearing gloves of some sort.

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:
Having been in Kyokushin, I know the short comings of karate, but don’t have enough experience with Muay Thai to know.[/quote]

To start with there are some things I really like about Muay Thai and in a lot of ways they fight like we do. I have teachers who studied Muay Thai and even went to Thailand to learn more. It tends to attract people who want to be badass and who aren’t afraid to get thumped on getting there.

But there are some things that I find impractical or less than optimal. One thing you need to bear in mind is it is a sport, it’s a brutal one but nonetheless it is a sport. Sports federation scoring sometimes look for techniques (ie elbows) that may not always be optimal for a just get the job done efficiently self defense.

One of the first full Muay Thai bouts I ever saw, one man totally dominated his opponent and punched him around the ring nonstop. It was so lopsided I thought they should have ended the fight. The fight went to a decision and because the dominant fighter didn’t use elbows he lost the decision. To me it really drove home the fact that this is a sport.

So because it’s a sport there are other considerations that take precedence over save my life and I don’t care how I look doing it self defense.

The swinging arms to generate power for kicking is something that goes against the Isshinryu principal of don’t wind up. If you are a really skinny little guy like the Thais tend to be, maybe you do that and get away with it. But if you are up against multiple opponents you may not want to drop your guard to hit one guy.

I’ve been in a situation where I was able shove one guy away from me as his bigger buddy got me from behind in a head lock. I was able to strip the second opponent and get him joint locked with my left arm just as the first guy came charging back at me. I was able to sidekick him away from me without losing control of his buddy. So I know from experience that it’s useful to be able to use my hands and feet independently.

The other thing you diminish with arm swinging kicks is the ability to follow up quickly with hands. There was a video a member posted a few years ago of his Muay Thai match. The man is three hundred pounds and every time he used a teep his opponent would go flying backwards. But because he was pulling his hands down to his waist to generate more power he wasn’t able to follow up. If he had been keeping his hands up in a guard as soon as he landed his foot he could have quickly followed up with a one, two punch combo and steam rolled him.

If you are three hundred pounds you really shouldn’t need to wind up to get power. You should be able to do it out of clean technique. With a big man like that it really became apparent how much that was limiting his effectiveness.

I’ll give one more example. There was a thread a little while back about speed. Someone posted a grainy video of a Muay Thai fighter throwing a ridiculous amount of kicks in a minute. Every time he threw a kick his hands flew. That hand flinging slows you down, because the brain has to load that movement like a computer loads a program. Just as the more lines of code there is in a program longer it takes to load that program. The more extraneous movements a techniques contains the longer it takes your brain to load it and initiate it.

Which brings me back to Isshinryu principals. Movements are pared down to their most essential elements. Twisting a punch into a corkscrew punch is an extra step. That slows down response and reaction time. Also simplifying movements makes it easier to learn and master them.

Those are some valid points and some stuff I had noticed but never had fully considered as a weakness. I agree with all that you’ve said. Good post.

[quote]Sifu wrote:

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:
Having been in Kyokushin, I know the short comings of karate, but don’t have enough experience with Muay Thai to know.[/quote]

To start with there are some things I really like about Muay Thai and in a lot of ways they fight like we do. I have teachers who studied Muay Thai and even went to Thailand to learn more. It tends to attract people who want to be badass and who aren’t afraid to get thumped on getting there.

But there are some things that I find impractical or less than optimal. One thing you need to bear in mind is it is a sport, it’s a brutal one but nonetheless it is a sport. Sports federation scoring sometimes look for techniques (ie elbows) that may not always be optimal for a just get the job done efficiently self defense.

One of the first full Muay Thai bouts I ever saw, one man totally dominated his opponent and punched him around the ring nonstop. It was so lopsided I thought they should have ended the fight. The fight went to a decision and because the dominant fighter didn’t use elbows he lost the decision. To me it really drove home the fact that this is a sport.

So because it’s a sport there are other considerations that take precedence over save my life and I don’t care how I look doing it self defense.

The swinging arms to generate power for kicking is something that goes against the Isshinryu principal of don’t wind up. If you are a really skinny little guy like the Thais tend to be, maybe you do that and get away with it. But if you are up against multiple opponents you may not want to drop your guard to hit one guy.

I’ve been in a situation where I was able shove one guy away from me as his bigger buddy got me from behind in a head lock. I was able to strip the second opponent and get him joint locked with my left arm just as the first guy came charging back at me. I was able to sidekick him away from me without losing control of his buddy. So I know from experience that it’s useful to be able to use my hands and feet independently.

The other thing you diminish with arm swinging kicks is the ability to follow up quickly with hands. There was a video a member posted a few years ago of his Muay Thai match. The man is three hundred pounds and every time he used a teep his opponent would go flying backwards. But because he was pulling his hands down to his waist to generate more power he wasn’t able to follow up. If he had been keeping his hands up in a guard as soon as he landed his foot he could have quickly followed up with a one, two punch combo and steam rolled him.

If you are three hundred pounds you really shouldn’t need to wind up to get power. You should be able to do it out of clean technique. With a big man like that it really became apparent how much that was limiting his effectiveness.

I’ll give one more example. There was a thread a little while back about speed. Someone posted a grainy video of a Muay Thai fighter throwing a ridiculous amount of kicks in a minute. Every time he threw a kick his hands flew. That hand flinging slows you down, because the brain has to load that movement like a computer loads a program. Just as the more lines of code there is in a program longer it takes to load that program. The more extraneous movements a techniques contains the longer it takes your brain to load it and initiate it.

Which brings me back to Isshinryu principals. Movements are pared down to their most essential elements. Twisting a punch into a corkscrew punch is an extra step. That slows down response and reaction time. Also simplifying movements makes it easier to learn and master them. [/quote]

Well thought out and thought provoking post.

I absolutely agree with the critique of scoring in combat sports (pretty much all of them have at least one “WTF” rule or scoring bias), but I would hope that if a highly skilled Muay Thai fighter was to get into a serious situation that they would not be preoccupied with throwing enough elbows to win on points. It could happen I suppose, but you are going to run into that possibility with any combat sport (which I agree is a potential pitfall).

While I also agree to an extent about swinging the arms while kicking; doing so does add power to the kicks and actually acts as a counter balance and allows you to throw more power kicks in a shorter time frame than if you kept your hands still. Yes, you can throw more Bill Wallace style kicks faster while not swinging your arms, but not power kicks. I do agree though that being able to keep your arms in a good guard position that allows you to immediately follow a kick up with hands or to be able to use your legs and arms independently is a good skill though.

(Quick side note: When throwing a muay thai teep kick, the hands should normally be kept up by the head. They aren’t normally dropped or swung down when throwing a teep.)

Sifu,

I have to say I definitely enjoy your knowledge of karate history but I have to disagree with your evaluation of Muay Thai. The “windmill” technique with your arms is slower, but it can add a huge amount of power. It’s similar to a boxer loading up his hips for a power shot. But just like boxing, Muay Thai uses other shots to set up those power shots.

If you successfully hit someone with a combo, it’s generally not that hard to follow-up with a big power shot. I also wouldn’t call the basic arm swing when kicking flailing either. Similarly, you can’t dismiss a styles effectiveness from bad judging or an incompetent fighter.
Sport based styles have some limitations, but you also get to test yourself and figure out what works at full power.

Great posts by all. While I do think Muay Thai is an awesome art and I am getting more into it at the present. I have had the opportunity to work a couple times with Anthony Manus and his first piece of advice is that if you can’t kick and keep your hands up to protect your face then don’t kick.

The Thai style kick is very powerful and I agree that moving the arms generates more power but you do have to time those kicks or set them up but I also think any kick that has any meaning to it would also need to be set up.