Martial Art for Strong Guys?

At the risk of sounding completely stupid as I actually don’t know much at all about martial arts but whenever i look into martial arts, a lot of them talk about using your opponents weight against them so you don’t need to be big or strong, is there any martial arts where being big and strong helps?

Pro wrestling?

sorry forgot to mention that i live in the uk, although that is a very obvious one, it’s nowhere near as big over here as in the us, i don’t know of anywhere that teaches it anywhere near me

[quote]jackbradneyraw wrote:
At the risk of sounding completely stupid as I actually don’t know much at all about martial arts but whenever i look into martial arts, a lot of them talk about using your opponents weight against them so you don’t need to be big or strong, is there any martial arts where being big and strong helps?[/quote]

You will always benefit from being big and strong in any kind of martial arts. The only thing you may find is you’ll have to cut down on your pursuit of being bigger and stronger because now you need time and energy for learning skills and increasing conditioning.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

At the risk of sounding completely stupid as I actually don’t know much at all about martial arts but whenever i look into martial arts, a lot of them talk about using your opponents weight against them so you don’t need to be big or strong, is there any martial arts where being big and strong helps?[/quote]

You will always benefit from being big and strong in any kind of martial arts. The only thing you may find is you’ll have to cut down on your pursuit of being bigger and stronger because now you need time and energy for learning skills and increasing conditioning.[/quote]

You are never “stupid” when you admit you dont know anything about a subject, that is the first key to opening the door to learning. Irish is correct, being big and strong is always an advantage and he is also correct, you have to decide which one will be your primary focus, martial arts or gaining strength and size.

You stated you were in the the UK, from my brief trips to London, I was amazed at the amount of different martial arts being taught. A trooper I was with, told me there were over 5 thousand schools in the greater London area. Dont know whether that is accurate, but, I certainly saw about every style known to man being advertised.

IMHO, I would check out two grappling arts (Judo, BJJ) and two striking arts( Boxing, Mauy Thai). This will give you a good introduction for both parallels. If these dont appeal to you, you can try the traditional arts ( Kempo,Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, etc) Welcome and good luck.

With one functional arm I think I can understand where you are going with, in your thought process anyway.

Try Krav Maga. krav maga at DuckDuckGo The owner of the shop near me, he weighs just shy of 300 and he is about six feet seven inches tall. I am that same height but his mass is simply intimidating. However I have now learned how I can get away while he regains his senses. I do have to strike first though . . . .

[quote]idaho wrote:

You will always benefit from being big and strong in any kind of martial arts. The only thing you may find is you’ll have to cut down on your pursuit of being bigger and stronger because now you need time and energy for learning skills and increasing conditioning.[/quote]

You are never “stupid” when you admit you dont know anything about a subject, that is the first key to opening the door to learning. Irish is correct, being big and strong is always an advantage and he is also correct, you have to decide which one will be your primary focus, martial arts or gaining strength and size.

You stated you were in the the UK, from my brief trips to London, I was amazed at the amount of different martial arts being taught. A trooper I was with, told me there were over 5 thousand schools in the greater London area. Dont know whether that is accurate, but, I certainly saw about every style known to man being advertised.

IMHO, I would check out two grappling arts (Judo, BJJ) and two striking arts( Boxing, Mauy Thai). This will give you a good introduction for both parallels. If these dont appeal to you, you can try the traditional arts ( Kempo,Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, etc) Welcome and good luck.
[/quote]

If you’re located in London and decide to give grappling arts a try, Roger gracie is a ten time multiple world champion, fighting in the heavy weight category. http://www.rogergracie.com/

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

Roger Gracie would be a great option. I believe that Catch As Catch Can/Catch a Wrestling still has some functioning active schools in the UK as well. I know that the late great CACC wrestler Billy Robinson was from London and used to train at The Snake Pit in Wigan which was run by Billy Riley. If you are close by they may still be in operation, or Mr Robinson’s successors may still be teaching Catch as well.

Like others have said, Martial Arts are about maximizing mechanical advantage/leverage, timing, control of distance/positioning, speed/deception, mental, emotional, and physical resiliency, and strategy; none of which are mutually exclusive to physical strength. If you have strength as well, it just makes you all that much more dangerous.

Thanks everyone for the replies, London is a bit of a trek for me so wouldn’t be able to attend regularly, but thank you anyway guys, i’m looking into krav maga near me

is your avatar of britains very own charles bronson

Thanks everyone for the replies, London is a bit of a trek for me so wouldn’t be able to attend regularly, but thank you anyway guys, i’m looking into krav maga near me [/quote]

Cool. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

[quote]cavemansam wrote:
is your avatar of britains very own charles bronson[/quote]

yeah it is

i saw the movie about him went and read some articles about him
BADASS lunatic if you look at stories about some of his fights wow
even his last fight 60 years old wow
big strong with attitude

Yeah I’ve got majority of his books, one hard mofo

If you want a striking art, consider Muay Thai. The clinch is a big part of it, and if you’re significantly stronger than your opponent you can potentially overwhelm superior technique with sheer brute force. I’m not saying you should just rely on strength, but I think it’s one of the few striking arts where being really strong can make up for mediocre technique (though ideally you want both).

JUDO, ju jistsu, are the top picks against one opponent, kick boxing will help too.

What you’re thinking of is “hard” arts vs “soft” arts. Strength & size help in hard arts.
Ex: Karate, Muay Thai, Krav Maga