Maroon 5 Hates America

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]drunkpig wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[quote]drunkpig wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:
I feel like I manage to unknowingly turn every thread into a film debate, I should try to stop doing this kind of thing…[/quote]

Meh. Unless it’s a Guy Ritchie film, or something by the Cohen Brothers, or Mike Judge - I’m quite ambivalent when it comes to who made what. [/quote]

Speaking of The Coen Brothers, I saw “A Serious Man” not that long ago. It’s very under the radar, should get far more exposure than it does. I actually think it might be among their best (which is a tough act to decide on when you really look through all the films).

I also look forward to their newest, “Inside Llewyn Davis”, I’ve heard incredibly good things.[/quote]

Yes. “A Serious Man”. Excellent film. Suicidally depressing.

“Barton Fink” has to rank very close to the top of my favorite Coen Brothers films. But as you say - picking a true favorite from their catalog is extremely tough to do.

[/quote]

I love Barton Fink, Turturro and Goodman go so well together, it’s no surprise they kept casting them. Very bizarre film, I like that they decided on that kind of thing early on, strange and creepy but still incredibly humorous.[/quote]

Raising Arizona, hands down. You get more for your money in the pre-credits intro than you get out of most other feature length films. Next is O’Brother Where Art Thou, IMO.

[/quote]

I think if I had to pick a few, in no particular order, it would be:

No Country For Old Men, Fargo and Raising Arizona.

No Country For Old Men because I love their take on Anton Chigurh.

Fargo because I think the calamity of the plot and the distinction between the reckless, violent characters and the chirpy Canadian police chief is pure genius. Also William H Macy was the perfect choice for the paranoid, slimy plotter.

And Raising Arizona because it gives me hope for Nicolas Cage’s acting career, there is no one I want to succeed more than Nicolas Cage.

Oh yeah ‘Kahuna’, you’re preaching to the choir with me on Cronenberg…I was a big fan during his PEAK years growing up
with Scanners, The Dead Zone, then the outstanding ‘Fly’, not so much with his later stuff, but admired his bravado in going
into a lot of uncharted movie territory…“Dead Ringers” seems to get better every time I see it tho.

The ending to Scanners wasn’t really depressing, but the endings to The Dead Zone and The Fly resonated
for awhile…good stuff man, they don’t make ‘em like that anymore…movies with a fuckin’ PAYOFF, ya know?
I’m not a big fan of modern Horror at all but last Film that ‘resonated’ with me was “30 Days Of Night”…I thought
the ending was moody and very good, and the film overall above average of it’s type…IMHO, but no…'hardly a fan
of modern Hollywood Horror films at all.

[quote]Karado wrote:
Oh yeah ‘Kahuna’, you’re preaching to the choir with me on Cronenberg…I was a big fan during his PEAK years growing up
with Scanners, The Dead Zone, then the outstanding ‘Fly’, not so much with his later stuff, but admired his bravado in going
into a lot of uncharted movie territory…“Dead Ringers” seems to get better every time I see it tho.

The ending to Scanners wasn’t really depressing, but the endings to The Dead Zone and The Fly resonated
for awhile…good stuff man, they don’t make ‘em like that anymore…movies with a fuckin’ PAYOFF, ya know?
I’m not a big fan of modern Horror at all but last Film that ‘resonated’ with me was “30 Days Of Night”…I thought
the ending was moody and very good, and the film overall above average of it’s type…IMHO, but no…'hardly a fan
of modern Hollywood Horror films at all.
[/quote]

I loved The Dead Zone, I never hear much of those kind of Walken roles anymore, it’s always just Deer Hunter, True Romance or Pulp Fiction. Most people I’ve talked to haven’t even seen At Close Range (shout out to At Close Range, that’s a really good god damn film). But he was incredibly good in The Dead Zone from what I remember, easily among his best.

There are some good ones hiding around out there. I loved Drag Me To Hell, but it’s more of Raimi’s comedy-horror style than real creepy horror. In particular, one that comes to mind is “Let The Right One In”. It’s a Swedish vampire film based on a novel, and it is a god damn horror masterpiece, I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t heard of/seen it.

It spawned an American remake simply titled “Let Me In”, with the considerably talented Chloe Moretz at the helm, but if I had to choose between them it would easily head to the original Swedish film. Both are incredibly good, so if you happen to want that kind of much more straightforward native feel than having to read through subtitles all the time (or god forbid learn Swedish), the American remake is still an extremely good choice. They’re both very disturbing, sombre and dark.

The original is a very intelligent horror, it has this ominous story and even somewhat romantic feel to it, I feel it pulls it off a little more elegantly than the other, so that’s why it remains my favourite. Have a look at it if you like, tell me what you think. You’ll be taken aback by “Let The Right One In”, I promise you that.

Also [REC], if you want more straight terror, it’s another I love. Luckily I speak Spanish so I can be kept authentically in the moment rather than distracted by subtitles. Swedish vampire for an ominous, moving expression of horror-drama, [REC] for terrifying scares and horrific monster/zombie portrayals.

Yes, now we’re talkin’…My memory is shot, lol J/K…I have seen all of those you mentioned…outstanding films
and truly exceptions from the norm.
I actually loved the Amercian remake LMI a bit more than than the original, but both are great movies…they’re
the ‘Anti-Twilight’ Vampire films…superior in every way.

I haven’t seen it yet but someone uploaded a rave reviewed VERY old movie called ‘‘Vampyr’’ on YT recently
but I’ve been too much of a pussy to see it so far… that creepy black and white shit with a serious theme
just freaks me out sometimes…maybe I’ll watch it on a sunny day for a little levity…heh.
Check it out if you’re curious.

[quote]Karado wrote:
Yes, now we’re talkin’…My memory is shot, lol J/K…I have seen all of those you mentioned…outstanding films
and truly exceptions from the norm.
I actually loved the Amercian remake LMI a bit more than than the original, but both are great movies…they’re
the ‘Anti-Twilight’ Vampire films…superior in every way.

I haven’t seen it yet but someone uploaded a rave reviewed VERY old movie called ‘‘Vampyr’’ on YT recently
but I’ve been too much of a pussy to see it so far… that creepy black and white shit with a serious theme
just freaks me out sometimes…maybe I’ll watch it on a sunny day for a little levity…heh.
Check it out if you’re curious.

[/quote]

Oh my god Vampyr, it’s been so long since I’ve seen that! You have to see it, Dreyer is a true artist and this may easily be among his best. Honestly, it’s very important that you see it as soon as possible, it’s a very accomplished film from a very passionate film-maker. It’s wonderfully shot and you’ll be the better for having seen it. I agree with the reviewers when they say it has that dreadfully eerie “early cinema” vibe, the kind of Nosferatu one. (Also Nosferatu creeps the ever loving shit out of me, I expect you to have most likely seen it, but if you haven’t please do.)

Oh yes both LTROI and LMI are incredible, I was surprisingly overwhelmed by how much the remake held up to the original, as of course it’s not something that happens all too often. I think I prefer the nostalgia of the original being first, maybe also because I saw it first, but they run along a very thin line and I would not argue against anyone going either way. Ha of course, it’s nice to fold back on those now that our modern times have chipped away at the idea of what a vampire should be, and not for the better.

Yeah man I’ll see Vampyr soon…actually I’ve been way busy lately and haven’t seen a movie in weeks
too.
It was the liitle details LMI that impressed me…I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Knife stick to the carotid
artery to collect blood as realistic as ever on film as I did with LMI…Man that small detail was very impressive but disturbing
because it didn’t even look like a special effect…I suspect Chloe’s guardian really knifed that guy, lol.
Too bad we need to remake films to accommodate and to ‘adjust’ to our culture because other cultures are too
idiosyncratic for us with the main issue being reading subtitles…oh well.

[quote]Karado wrote:
Yeah man I’ll see Vampyr soon…actually I’ve been way busy lately and haven’t seen a movie in weeks
too.
It was the liitle details LMI that impressed me…I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Knife stick to the carotid
artery to collect blood as realistic as ever on film as I did with LMI…Man that small detail was very impressive but disturbing
because it didn’t even look like a special effect…I suspect Chloe’s guardian really knifed that guy, lol.
Too bad we need to remake films to accommodate and to ‘adjust’ to our culture because other cultures are too
idiosyncratic for us with the main issue being reading subtitles…oh well.
[/quote]

Mm, they did incredibly well with it, I can’t wait to see Chloe Moretz mature into being a very competent adult actress. Right now it feels like she’s in that Natalie Portman Leon/Heat phase (however she has had probably a bigger range of great films in her youth), but I can’t wait to see her take on some more adult roles in a few years or so when she’s of age and she can take the more risque, high pay-off options, The Black Swans and such.

Yes I hate that, but I like how foreign films have kept to their kind of scenic, classy vibe to counter the growing CGI hollywood trend. Makes for a refreshing change of pace to see them mostly stick somewhat close to their roots, while ours are more focused on those glitzy, overblown blockbusters. Bullhead was a nice Belgian film I reviewed in the “Even More Movies…” thread, it has that sort of down to earth, attention to detail/character/plot vibe, I would recommend that.

Well it seems like you’re the resident ‘‘film buff’’ here Man, I haven’t even heard of that Belgian flick but I’ll
keep an eye out for it…I’m aware there many ‘buried treasures’ past and present that don’t get exposure simply
because lack of funds promoting them after they’re made which is why word of mouth is very important,
and the internet’s a godsend to help spread the word for these smaller gems that normally may not have even
seen the light of day.
Going back Chris Walken…kinda, proves that one can be on screen for a VERY short period of time and
make an impression, also I’m fascinated how TRUE ROMANCE was an absolute box office flop, but then
later grew into one of the most well known cult flicks of the last 20 years…wow, it HAS been 20 years since TR.
time flies…whhoooosh!

[quote]Karado wrote:
Well it seems like you’re the resident ‘‘film buff’’ here Man, I haven’t even heard of that Belgian flick but I’ll
keep an eye out for it…I’m aware there many ‘buried treasures’ past and present that don’t get exposure simply
because lack of funds promoting them after they’re made which is why word of mouth is very important,
and the internet’s a godsend to help spread the word for these smaller gems that normally may not have even
seen the light of day.
Going back Chris Walken…kinda, proves that one can be on screen for a VERY short period of time and
make an impression, also I’m fascinated how TRUE ROMANCE was an absolute box office flop, but then
later grew into one of the most well known cult flicks of the last 20 years…wow, it HAS been 20 years since TR.
time flies…whhoooosh![/quote]

Man I hope so, if I was the resident film aficionado that would please me to no end, though I’m not sure, there are some very knowledgeable and eloquent cinema lovers hanging around here too.

Oh there’s an almost unending sequence of obscure classics hidden out there. I’m so glad for the internet, I wouldn’t be able to see half the films I have if I had to stick to blockbusters and DVD bins.

Oh Christopher Walken is almost the king of cameos, and he doesn’t even have that many really. I adore the Sicilian scene in True Romance, I adore practically all of the film, it amazes me that audiences didn’t flock to it when it first showed up. It’s kind of like Hitchcock’s “Marnie”, but even better. I might watch True Romance again soon, I need to. I also adore the Hans Zimmer xylophone theme that plays throughout, it’s so pleasant and relaxing.

Bullhead is really good, I won’t go into detail because my lengthy review is already holed up in that other thread, but I do really recommend it.

I wasn’t even alive when True Romance was made, imagine that. Man I really am starting to remember how brilliant a film it is, I’ve decided to see it tomorrow, tomorrow will be a happy day.

Damn dude, you’re probably the only younger guy in America who’s ever even HEARD of Vampyr let alone seen it.
yeah as far as popularity…Scarface and TR share a relatively common theme, Scarface did do decent box office
at the time…back in the day…(Gulp)…30 Years ago, but it wasn’t a blockbuster by any means, it’s been more popular in the last
decade than the previous last 2 decades combined.
Some movies are just ahead of their time I guess, and our
culture is sometimes very slow to catch on to things in the first place…IDK.
And with little Chloe Moretz, yeah those adult roles are just around the corner for her, it’s inevitable and seems to
happen to every young starlet anyway.

[quote]Karado wrote:
Damn dude, you’re probably the only younger guy in America who’s ever even HEARD of Vampyr let alone seen it.
yeah as far as popularity…Scarface and TR share a relatively common theme, Scarface did do decent box office
at the time…back in the day…(Gulp)…30 Years ago, but it wasn’t a blockbuster by any means, it’s been more popular in the last
decade than the previous last 2 decades combined.
Some movies are just ahead of their time I guess, and our
culture is sometimes very slow to catch on to things in the first place…IDK.
And with little Chloe Moretz, yeah those adult roles are just around the corner for her, it’s inevitable and seems to
happen to every young starlet anyway.
[/quote]

British actually, and not even living in The United Kingdom, how ya’ like them apples? Yeah I go far out of my way when it comes to film, I’ve not met a single other person face to face that I know has seen Vampyr, or even Nosferatu. Literally any Nosferatu, Werner Herzog’s version included.

Yeah, I mean hell mass populace are committed to the shallow, sluggish stories of a CGI filled action movie for this century so far, anything outside of that is a barren wasteland for cinema profits. I have a hard time believing most people would even be able to tell me the reasons that The Dark Knight is better than something like Captain America…(even though I am really enjoying nearly all of this superhero fad).

I hope the CGI gets tiresome once we’ve grown into it more, and we resort back to actually making films made for mass audiences with some sense of emotion and logical purpose. Like practically anything made between the creation of film and the early 50’s (estimating, won’t be a perfect comparison). At least some film-makers are still trying to make that happen, I can deal with Michael Bay if I have a good Coen or Linklater film to fall back on for the sake of my sanity.

Oh she has to be coming up on that, Let Me In was a great introduction for her into that serious, dark type of film. Give it three years, she’ll be involved with something as serious as a pulmonary oedema.

This thread is just reserved for movie talk now isn’t it? I kind of enjoy that, feels very calm and out of the way. I wonder if I should make some kind of review thread, but I don’t know if I could really keep up the pace with watching newer films so consistently when I have so many old ones and genres to fill out, plus of course it’s overwhelmingly narcissistic and pretentious of me.

As a fun aside, I think I finally unearthed what really happens after the events of John Carpenter’s “The Thing”, once MacReady and Childs are alone together in the snow. You have no idea how long it took me to put that one together, I had to pick apart almost every other part of the film, and there is some deeply embedded shit to uncover.

What is with all the hate for Maroon 5? They make great music!

[quote]stefan128 wrote:
What is with all the hate for Maroon 5? They make great music! [/quote]

Stop hijacking the movie thread with Maroon 5 talk.

Lol, yeah missed you were in Europe, my Great Grandfather was Catalan BTW…never knew him of course but my Grandmother
sez he was out of his mind…Explains my personality sometimes, heh…England and Spain, two former World Powers struggling
for Global Domination…England ‘won’ in essence, but my peeps we’re a big pain in ass to the British Crown anyway…someone had to
keep England looking over their shoulder…“Oh No, it’s those fucking Conquistadors again”…this thread’s off the rails.

Hey man it’s Ok if you happen to have a little bit of the ‘hots’ for Chloe, just picture her living where 16 is the age of
consent and there’s no problem fantasizing about her til she does a ‘Black Swan’ type flick in a few years…but all that aside
she really is a talent and I’m sure she will put an interesting spin on yet another incarnation of Carrie, with the underappreciated
Angela Bettis (“May”) doing her spin on it not so long ago.
Oh well, if they don’t quit trying to reboot Superman over and over, I guess it’s ok to reboot Carrie again as well.
Sheesh, Hollywood has lost it’s creativity, no wonder you’re scoping out films from Belgium…,'can’t say that I blame you.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]stefan128 wrote:
What is with all the hate for Maroon 5? They make great music! [/quote]

Stop hijacking the movie thread with Maroon 5 talk. [/quote]

Stop hijacking the pissing contest/arguing back and forth forum with movie talk. What the hell did they teach you at Chico State?

Talking about how a washed up singer hated America for a moment is about as exciting watching paint dry,
what did you have to contribute to the Maroon 5 talk now that was earth shattering?
Go ahead, we’re game for the moment…what did you wanna say about Maroon 5 Dee Bee?
Ticktockticktockticktockticktock…

[quote]Karado wrote:
Lol, yeah missed you were in Europe, my Great Grandfather was Catalan BTW…never knew him of course but my Grandmother
sez he was out of his mind…Explains my personality sometimes, heh…England and Spain, two former World Powers struggling
for Global Domination…England ‘won’ in essence, but my peeps we’re a big pain in ass to the British Crown anyway…someone had to
keep England looking over their shoulder…“Oh No, it’s those fucking Conquistadors again”…this thread’s off the rails.

Hey man it’s Ok if you happen to have a little bit of the ‘hots’ for Chloe, just picture her living where 16 is the age of
consent and there’s no problem fantasizing about her til she does a ‘Black Swan’ type flick in a few years…but all that aside
she really is a talent and I’m sure she will put an interesting spin on yet another incarnation of Carrie, with the underappreciated
Angela Bettis (“May”) doing her spin on it not so long ago.
Oh well, if they don’t quit trying to reboot Superman over and over, I guess it’s ok to reboot Carrie again as well.
Sheesh, Hollywood has lost it’s creativity, no wonder you’re scoping out films from Belgium…,'can’t say that I blame you.
[/quote]

Ha yeah, I’d say England and Spain are at a nice little truce now, even though any Brits 50+ that come here planning to retire spend their days bitching and whining about the nationals, with their delusions of self-importance and their nationalist cynicism.

Yeah I didn’t quite want to say it, but I guess if we’re going by that “(Age/2) + 7” formula or whatever it’s not so bad, I still can’t wait until we cross that barrier though. The one that makes Emma Watson or practically any Disney starlet in the clear. Man I hope Carrie turns out well, because she should be able to clinch it, however her record has been a slew of shit movies intermixed with a really great film. So if it were playing by continuity, it would either be really bad, or really good. I kind of liked May, I think at least a little more than most give it credit for.

I really like foreign films, I like the air they have. Instead of generic hit after hit, they spend time and effort on making this sort of underground-y, very well thought out thing. Of course there’s a huge leap between Parisian films and Korean ones, but it’s kind of a nice constant they all have running beneath them with a lot of their films. I’d also recommend Rust And Bone, just because of the leading role in Bullhead plays another lead role there, and he’s incredibly good as an actor.

And if you like thoughtful dramas, I recommend “The Kid With A Bike”, I absolutely adore that film. It’s directed by the Dardenne Brothers (Jean-Pierre and Luc), you could almost think of them as the Belgian Coens. They’ve made only four or five films, but to pick between literally any of them will leave you with a great film, their bar is set incredibly high.

But seriously, “The Kid With A Bike”, it’s something I actually think Cortes in particular would enjoy, as far as I can tell he’s very into the whole family-related drama genre.

IDK if Cortes would enjoy these movies, let alone even know what movies even were because they
weren’t even invented when he sailed…oh you mean OUR Cortes, got it.
I know enough about him to know he appreciates himself some fine Cinema too, especially when not based
in California…I’m saving this forum to keep an eye out for these titles because I’ve just about had it with Hollywood
anyway…but not quite because they still manage to churn out diamonds in that fucking coal mine every so often.

Funny you mentioned Emma Watson she was in the back of my mind while typing my
last message…Too bad even American women at her age simply don’t have bodies like this, 'don’t know if you’ve
ever been to the states, but obesity is an epidemic here and it’s disgusting…rarely anything like Emma here in looks.
unspoiled femininity and warm personality…Stay in Europe.

[quote]Karado wrote:
IDK if Cortes would enjoy these movies, let alone even know what movies even were because they
weren’t even invented when he sailed…oh you mean OUR Cortes, got it.
I know enough about him to know he appreciates himself some fine Cinema too, especially when not based
in California…I’m saving this forum to keep an eye out for these titles because I’ve just about had it with Hollywood
anyway…but not quite because they still manage to churn out diamonds in that fucking coal mine every so often.

Funny you mentioned Emma Watson she was in the back of my mind while typing my
last message…Too bad even American women at her age simply don’t have bodies like this, 'don’t know if you’ve
ever been to the states, but obesity is an epidemic here and it’s disgusting…rarely anything like Emma here in looks.
unspoiled femininity and warm personality…Stay in Europe.[/quote]

Yeah I had a few nice conversations with him about film, he introduced me to Tokyo Story, an old Japanese drama that I adore, really it might be one of the best films of all time.

There are some really magnificent foreign films that are too easily overlooked. Off the top of my head I’d recommend “The Lives Of Others”, “City Of God”, “Pan’s Labyrinth” (slightly more popular, I have a friend that knows Sergi Lopez [Actor that plays Captain Vidal], so it’s really nice to get to speak to him about it and Del Toro), “Monsieur Hire” which is more of a romantic tragedy, and “The Class (Entre Les Murs)”, an incredible French school drama.

They’re all worth checking out, the list should keep you busy for some time.

Yeah, I think with Hollywood we just need to focus on who has directive credit more than anything, Hollywood directors tend to follow a clear path on the spectrum give or take a few years either way of productions.

I went a few times, I have an aunt that lives in San Diego that I visited mid-late 2000’s, and I went to Florida (Everglades areas) in the late 90’s. I think obesity may have picked up heavily since then, and I’m sure it would have been more prominent had I visited Mississippi or Alabama instead, but there were a generous amount of fatties around that time too.

Europe really has never had that many fat people, most fat people I see in Spain are retired British expatriates. The free range meat is wonderful here, in the right places there is some overwhelming Serrano ham, and there are street markets that make wonderful spiced and marinated chickens, I pick one up every week or so because I love the taste of them.

The gym culture is also reasonably in-flow here, there are a lot of people I’ve had to teach basic form to from time to time, but mostly they’re just slight tweaks instead and everyone has the right idea. Very nice people too, no ILS, dumbbell-throwing apes or resentful skinnies to worry about really. I’m more powerlifter oriented, and there’s some builders that come to the gym that I work in bodybuilding stuff after my main work with, because I’m still very new to the ideas, great guys.

Spanish women are nice, well they’re like slightly less naggy versions of latinas at least. European women in general have their genetics down to a T, plus of course the accents are better. There’s a Norwegian-run University right by my gym, a lot of the women’s basketball and football (“soccer”, phssst, America…) teams come in here, some of them are mind-blowingly hot. We also have one of those gimmicky vibrating plate machines, I won’t get into that though, the memories are too much for me.

Haha, I plan to stay in Europe, America’s a little too caught between it’s Political wars for me at the minute. Maybe one day once the same-sex marriage and drug wars are all dealt with properly, until then I shall enjoy my cosy European life.

Wonderful…yeah over here we’ve declared ‘‘war’’ on everything…war on this, war on that, war on drugs, etc…dammit
we can’t even get tobacco ‘‘snuff’’ here, which is one of the oldest and safest ways of getting nicotine…you can find
it if you look hard enough maybe, it’s not illegal, but good luck finding it in any tobacco shop in the states.
They are afraid that being that it does come in some ‘‘flavors’’ like chocolate and bubble gum, ‘‘The Children’’ might be
exposed to it and may get ‘hooked’, and god forbid if you get seen caught sniffing a tiny amount in your
nostrils …''What is that? What are you sniffing, cocaine???"
But No, we must protect the Children from this, it’s about the Children, what about the Children!!
I’ve tried snuff but don’t partake anymore…enjoyable… 'just throwing out an example of the overprotectiveness that is
rampant here.
And yes, the Latina women here are nowhere nearly as ‘refined’ and educated in comparison to their Euro
counterparts…We have more of the heavier America Ferrara types here and very few of the Penelope Cruz types.
I’ll stop right there as I was just tempted to mimic that Maroon 5, but only for a second…You see guys, this thread HASN’T
gone off the rails, it went back on the rails and almost became full circle.