Markus Schick 573 Lb Bench at the Arnold

[quote]vikingrob wrote:
goochadamg wrote:
It’s powerlifting. They’re built for it. You guys bitch at all the tall guys playing basketball?

that is a terrible comparison!

[/quote]

I’m more than willing to listen to your reasons. Why?

[quote]PublickStews wrote:
vikingrob wrote:
goochadamg wrote:
It’s powerlifting. They’re built for it. You guys bitch at all the tall guys playing basketball?

No it’s not. You’re saying that certain feats of strength are illegitimate just because these guys have the ideal bodies to succeed. There are millions of guys with good bench press levers, but only a few who have the determination and skill to become world class. Same with basketball. There are millions of tall guys, but not every one is good.[/quote]

how many millions of fucking midgets are there? totally not fair, different species, doesn’t count

[quote]mrodock wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
mrodock wrote:
Would take a really discerning coach to figure out whether he needs to hammer the top end or bottom end.

LOL!!! Very well done.

I’d say thanks but I feel like shit for saying it. What’s more, I freaking envy that he can bench that damn much, sure would help my total!

With that being said, I watched the clip 3 times before I realized he really did lock it out. I thought he got it half way up and was about to fight, nope, locked the damn thing out, just like a 12 board press: New Bench Press World Record - 308lb Junior Raw 12 Board for a Triple - YouTube

Look at that strong mother fucker!

vikingrob wrote:

i am just tired of these bench press videos where the travel length of the bar is so small, its unbelievable. to me it seems to take away what the sport is all about…

I am just tired of basketball games where 7’2" guys can dunk the ball without barely jumping. It’s unbelievable, to me it seems to take away what the sport is all about…

If I were 7’2" I’d be just as good as those guys at blocking shots and dunking and all that stuff. What they do takes no hard work or talent or technique or anything, it’s just their height. What a joke.

[/quote]

If it took no hard work,talent or technique than why have their been only two 7 footers to win the scoring title and two to win the rebounding title in the last 20 years?

[quote]earthshaker wrote:
I don’t understand sarcasm.[/quote]

:wink:

Just FTR, he’s really not build to deadlift at all.

Think how small his hands are… it would make holding onto a serious amount of weight almost impossible.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Just FTR, he’s really not build to deadlift at all.

Think how small his hands are… it would make holding onto a serious amount of weight almost impossible.[/quote]

Yeah, for example powerliftingwatch.com shows that Andrzej Stanaszek’s best total is
Squat - 300.5 kg (662 lbs)
Bench Press - 182.5 kg (402 lbs)
Deadlift - 145 kg (320 lbs)

vikingrob wrote:

i am just tired of these bench press videos where the travel length of the bar is so small, its unbelievable. to me it seems to take away what the sport is all about…

I am just tired of basketball games where 7’2" guys can dunk the ball without barely jumping. It’s unbelievable, to me it seems to take away what the sport is all about…

If I were 7’2" I’d be just as good as those guys at blocking shots and dunking and all that stuff. What they do takes no hard work or talent or technique or anything, it’s just their height. What a joke.

[/quote]

I never said it took no talent. its just the range of motion is so small its not near as impressive as it should of been, considering he has the best coefficient for bench of anyone.

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
vikingrob wrote:
goochadamg wrote:

[/quote]

Honestly this is how i see it…

Rarely do you see guys that are over 7 ft dominate in basketball, most of the best players are under 7 ft actually. Take a look at someone like lebron james or kobe bryant they are the best in the nba, but are no even close to the tallest. They are the best regardless of height.

Yet i always see powerlifters that have ridiculously short range for motions are the best benchers, but they are not necessarily the strongest. Is that not what PL is all about?

I still think the lift he made is impressive, but it seems like cheating to me. Am i the only one who thinks like this? I don’t think so. But i doubt anyone thinks lebron or kobe are cheaters…

[quote]mrodock wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
mrodock wrote:
Would take a really discerning coach to figure out whether he needs to hammer the top end or bottom end.

LOL!!! Very well done.

I’d say thanks but I feel like shit for saying it. What’s more, I freaking envy that he can bench that damn much, sure would help my total!

With that being said, I watched the clip 3 times before I realized he really did lock it out. I thought he got it half way up and was about to fight, nope, locked the damn thing out, just like a 12 board press: New Bench Press World Record - 308lb Junior Raw 12 Board for a Triple - YouTube

I laughed so hard i threw up.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
Between the midget and the Japanese contortionist, it sounds like the bench press comp was more like a circus freak show than a powerlifting competition.[/quote]

Funny. Many people would say the same about anything aimed at shortening ROM, period.

Little people, big benches.

[quote]vikingrob wrote:
goochadamg wrote:
vikingrob wrote:
goochadamg wrote:

Rarely do you see guys that are over 7 ft dominate in basketball, most of the best players are under 7 ft actually. Take a look at someone like lebron james or kobe bryant they are the best in the nba, but are no even close to the tallest. They are the best regardless of height.

Yet i always see powerlifters that have ridiculously short range for motions are the best benchers, but they are not necessarily the strongest. Is that not what PL is all about?

I still think the lift he made is impressive, but it seems like cheating to me. Am i the only one who thinks like this? I don’t think so. But i doubt anyone thinks lebron or kobe are cheaters…

[/quote]

The very best powerlifters in the world aren’t midgets either. They are still mostly shorter people, but they are just guys with good genetics who train their asses off. This is exactly like what you are saying for lebron and kobe so stop arguing.

[quote]VikingsAD28 wrote:
vikingrob wrote:
goochadamg wrote:
vikingrob wrote:
goochadamg wrote:

The very best powerlifters in the world aren’t midgets either. They are still mostly shorter people, but they are just guys with good genetics who train their asses off. This is exactly like what you are saying for lebron and kobe so stop arguing.[/quote]

I wouldn’t be so sure about the best powerlifters being small…

AFAIK no-one under 6 foot has pressed over 1,000lb.

And pretty much all the top SHW’s are way above average height.

In the lighter and middle weight classes the shorter guys obviously do better, but there’s a hell of a lot of strong tall men too!!

Honestly, I understand that this is a lot of weight to lift in the 165 class… But it really isn’t that impressive looking. It’s a fucking 3 inch range of motion. Shit like this is what makes powerlifting look like a joke.

Reduced range of motion and double/triple ply denim suits that add 400 pounds to a lift are the reason you will never see this sport in the Olympics.

No offense to powerlifters (alot of my training focuses on the powerlifts) but seeing stuff like this just isn’t nearly as impressive as seeing a 150 pound guy clean and jerk over 400 pounds. To each his own I guess…

[quote]SlothGuy wrote:
Honestly, I understand that this is a lot of weight to lift in the 165 class… But it really isn’t that impressive looking. It’s a fucking 3 inch range of motion. Shit like this is what makes powerlifting look like a joke.

Reduced range of motion and double/triple ply denim suits that add 400 pounds to a lift are the reason you will never see this sport in the Olympics.

No offense to powerlifters (alot of my training focuses on the powerlifts) but seeing stuff like this just isn’t nearly as impressive as seeing a 150 pound guy clean and jerk over 400 pounds. To each his own I guess…[/quote]

a. If a 3 inch ROM makes it easy, please upload a video of you pressing that much weight off a 6-board, or off high pins. It’s easy right?

b. No one wears “triple-ply denim suits.” You obviously know nothing about powerlifting if you think denim is used for suits. Hardly anyone even uses denim shirts anymore.

c. Who gives a shit if it’s in the Olympics? I don’t care if small, bitter weak people think my sport is a “joke.”

[quote]SlothGuy wrote:

No offense to powerlifters (alot of my training focuses on the powerlifts) but seeing stuff like this just isn’t nearly as impressive as seeing a 150 pound guy clean and jerk over 400 pounds. To each his own I guess…[/quote]

Who said they were trying to impress you, or that any powerlifter that lifts in “double/triple ply denim suits” wants to participate in the Olympics?

Powerlifting is a joke with our efficient ROM and gear? At least we don’t go around pretending to be drug free like the Olympic athletes.

Just because a lot of your training “focuses on the powerlifts” doesn’t mean you know anything about powerlifting, so save you judgments. No one makes squat suits out of denim, and its rare to see a triple ply anything.

Maybe the occasional SDP but certainly not in the IPF, you know, that single ply fed where Markus Schick does all of his unimpressive lifts.

Not to take anything away from that guy but I done give a fuck about some midget arching his back and moving the bar 2 inches.My buddy Billy is 6’2" with long arms and i have seen him bench over 500 with no arch and elbows tucked close.Thats impressive.Next time he benches heavy i will ask him to record and i will post it.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
Not to take anything away from that guy but I done give a fuck about some midget arching his back and moving the bar 2 inches.My buddy Billy is 6’2" with long arms and i have seen him bench over 500 with no arch and elbows tucked close.Thats impressive.

Next time he benches heavy i will ask him to record and i will post it.[/quote]

That’s awesome… can’t wait to see the video.

How heavy is “Billy”? And what’s his squat and deadlift like? Reckon you can get vids of them too so we can all swing from his nuts too??

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
earthshaker wrote:
I don’t understand sarcasm.

:wink:

[/quote]

LOL. I have ex GF’s that would vehemently disagree. Hey, as many ridiculous opinions that I have seen expressed on these forums, it would not surprise me in the least that their are many people that believe 7fters don’t need much talent to be good bball players.