T Nation

Markus Schick 573 Lb Bench at the Arnold

One of the greatest Bench Pressers of all time…Markus Schick!

Markus Schick 573 lb Bench Press 2009 Arnold Sports Festival

That was awesome. 3x bodyweight.

Could have done it for a triple if he put whipped cream on his face before

these bench press videos that have been put up from the arnold classic 09’ suck ass! honestly.

Every time I bench, I wish I had a shorter bench stroke so I could lift heavier. I barely can bench 1x my body weight so it is amazing to see people bench 2x or even 3x their body weight. I think few people will ever have as short of a stroke than Markus though.

[quote]vikingrob wrote:
these bench press videos that have been put up from the arnold classic 09’ suck ass! honestly.[/quote]

Come on dude. He’s a midget. He’s doing more than starring in fast food commercials.

[quote]Rape Weight wrote:
vikingrob wrote:
these bench press videos that have been put up from the arnold classic 09’ suck ass! honestly.

Come on dude. He’s a midget. He’s doing more than starring in fast food commercials.[/quote]

agreed. he is making the most physically of what god gave him, so good for him!

i am just tired of these bench press videos where the travel length of the bar is so small, its unbelievable. to me it seems to take away what the sport is all about…

oh well, good for the small dude benching 3x his bodyweight!

I know what you mean. That one with the Japanese guy who had the same ROM as this midget.

FOR SHAME

It’s powerlifting. They’re built for it. You guys bitch at all the tall guys playing basketball?

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
It’s powerlifting. They’re built for it. You guys bitch at all the tall guys playing basketball?

[/quote]

Yes, only because I am jealous and had never dunked on a 10 foot basket in my life. Closest was on the 8 footers in elementary school basketball courts. Damn being short and weak.

Would take a really discerning coach to figure out whether he needs to hammer the top end or bottom end.

lol props to the dude but i barely saw the bar move, it was almost kind of a parody of modern powerlifting :frowning:

Between the midget and the Japanese contortionist, it sounds like the bench press comp was more like a circus freak show than a powerlifting competition.

[quote]mrodock wrote:
Would take a really discerning coach to figure out whether he needs to hammer the top end or bottom end.[/quote]

LOL!!! Very well done.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
mrodock wrote:
Would take a really discerning coach to figure out whether he needs to hammer the top end or bottom end.

LOL!!! Very well done.[/quote]

I’d say thanks but I feel like shit for saying it. What’s more, I freaking envy that he can bench that damn much, sure would help my total!

With that being said, I watched the clip 3 times before I realized he really did lock it out. I thought he got it half way up and was about to fight, nope, locked the damn thing out, just like a 12 board press: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N_RMILXlRU

[quote]mrodock wrote:
Ruggerlife wrote:
mrodock wrote:
Would take a really discerning coach to figure out whether he needs to hammer the top end or bottom end.

LOL!!! Very well done.

I’d say thanks but I feel like shit for saying it. What’s more, I freaking envy that he can bench that damn much, sure would help my total!

[/quote]

Hey, the guy’s one of the few people actually build to bench and deadlift!

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:

Hey, the guy’s one of the few people actually build to bench and deadlift!

[/quote]

Do you know what he deadlifts?

[quote]goochadamg wrote:
It’s powerlifting. They’re built for it. You guys bitch at all the tall guys playing basketball?

[/quote]

that is a terrible comparison!

[quote]vikingrob wrote:

i am just tired of these bench press videos where the travel length of the bar is so small, its unbelievable. to me it seems to take away what the sport is all about…[/quote]

I am just tired of basketball games where 7’2" guys can dunk the ball without barely jumping. It’s unbelievable, to me it seems to take away what the sport is all about…

If I were 7’2" I’d be just as good as those guys at blocking shots and dunking and all that stuff. What they do takes no hard work or talent or technique or anything, it’s just their height. What a joke.

[quote]vikingrob wrote:
goochadamg wrote:
It’s powerlifting. They’re built for it. You guys bitch at all the tall guys playing basketball?

that is a terrible comparison!

[/quote]

No it’s not. You’re saying that certain feats of strength are illegitimate just because these guys have the ideal bodies to succeed. There are millions of guys with good bench press levers, but only a few who have the determination and skill to become world class. Same with basketball. There are millions of tall guys, but not every one is good.