MarkKO's Training Log

So that’s all the work I’ll be doing this deload.

I’m leaning towards this approach to deloading:

• train three days, not four
  • press heavy, keep bench light
  • no deadlifts
  • front squat, not squat
  • assistance volume halved
  • very little third tier work
  • try new exercises

What I like about this is that I still get some useful work done but because I cut out all the heavy exercises it isn’t taxing. Plus it’s a perfect time to feel out new exercises.

On a different note, I had an idea for bench press during the anchor. I thought of using the Slingshot on bench day two to hit a rep PR on the top set without overly taxing my shoulders. Now, I think it’s a decent idea BUT I will need to get better at setting up and unracking while wearing it or all I’ll do bugger my shoulder. I just need to figure out if it really is a decent idea or not.

2 Likes

Also considering replacing calf raises with tricep pushdowns (probably with band if I do) next cycle. Not because my calves are big enough, but because arguably tricep work is going to be a better investment of my effort. Thoughts @littlesleeper @The_Myth @Destrength

3 Likes

Tris are a bigger muscle so I think it’s a good decision, and, they play a bigger role in you looking hyooge, which we all like.

For me, my calves are stoopid big, my tris are stoopid small, so figure it out. You have a great take on what is right for you, so trust it and go.

1 Like

Makes sense. Tricep pushdowns for 100 total reps twice a week it is.

2 Likes

Ya, I would agree with @The_Myth.

I haven’t done direct calf work in quite some time. I will be picking it up a bit come this next little bodybuilding cycle I’m planning, but for strength and aesthetics, I would choose triceps.

Plus, nothing like walking out of the gym after getting that triceps pump from 100 pushdowns…

3 Likes

Woke up at 195.2 lbs this morning. Ordinarily I’d attribute it to dehydration, but I drank my normal water yesterday as well as 1.2 litres of sugar free Powerade; and to top that off we had Indian takeaway last night which normally makes me hold water because of the salt.

So yeah, that’s pretty cool.

5 Likes

Go ahead, arms are one of the most important muscles for benching (second most important being back), and you could use some extra arm size and strength. Try using barbell, or dumbbell variations for most of your tricep work if you can do them without getting tendonitis. Pushdowns are really low stress on your joints, but I never really felt like they were good for anything other than a pump (which in itself is good for joint health).

1 Like

I liked the skull crushers but there was definitely strain on my elbows. I’ll see how tricep pushdowns go. Hopefully pump will transfer into size.

3 Likes

I figure between bench, ohp, and all of the other assistance, like DB bench, incline bench, etc…, hitting press downs 5x20 is good. Maybe consider doing 3x8 heavy a few days before the 5x20.

2 Likes

That’s a fine idea, although I’ll probably be lazy and just go 100 in total twice a week simply because I can slot them in where calf raises are currently.

Also thinking about trying BTN press instead of log press this cycle. If it works out I’ll probably end up cycling military, log and BTN every four weeks.

BTN press is one of those exercises that I can’t say I have EVER incorporated into a program before. No real reason, just a confession.

2 Likes

Try lowering to your chin, or behind your head like a pull over/tricep extension hybrid, they are both a lot easier on the elbows in my opinion. Another favorite is roll back tricep extensions in which you lower like a bench, then put it back to your chin/wherever you extend from then extend and repeat it for however many reps you want to do.Tate presses (dumbbells), and dumbbell roll back extensions are even easier on your elbows.

I know a lot of ways to kill my triceps.

3 Likes

Liked!

2 Likes

I agree 100%. Extensions where you kinda “roll back” or use back or shoulders to help lower the weight are great.

I feel like I’m slowly loading the triceps and gradually building tension in the muscle, instead of just grinding my elbows like with strict skull crushers. To me, this “feels” more like what tris do a bench press.

Mark
Also, on the band Pushdowns, make sure to get some reps where you really make an effort to pull your hands apart, away from eachother horizontally, at the bottom. Again, this “feels” more like stretching/spreading the bar to activate Tri’s in the bench and less like simply pumping away.

1 Like

I’ve got time to kill before knocking off so I’ll look all those up - I’m having trouble picturing how to do some.

I always thought that was the whole point of doing pushdowns/extensions anyway…

Then you gotta try flaring your elbows out and “pushing the handle to blow up the dynamite!” Or 1 arm, underhanded/backhanded grip.

I forgot you skipped the Young Dude/Everyday is Arms phase of lifting.

2 Likes

That works for me. As soon as I read it I could feel my triceps locking out.

1 Like

MMC to get those Horseshoes! Visualize the pump!

3 Likes

Decline DB Tri ext’s are about as elbow friendly as you’re going to get. They are my go-to. Hit them with a moderate weight, hi reps. I keep my reps 10-50.

My elbows actually feel INCREDIBLE after a high rep low weight ‘primer’ set. Then, go to work.

1 Like