MarkKO's Training Log

@Destrength my aim is always to keep shins vertical and shoulders behind the bar. I got lazy that set is all.

2 Likes

Going to do a jack shit session in our work gym today - I finish at 1500 but due to technical difficulties with transport I have to do munchkin pickup at 1630. Goal is to smash out bench and dips each supersetted with some kind of row in an hour.

This just popped into my head: a lot of the time I see posts/hear people mention that at times shit happens to make them lose weight, because it’s hard to eat (flu, stress, whatever). Now, I get that if you’re throwing your guts up every time food comes near you there’s little you can do. Personally, I try to get through a ton of soluble carbs and BCAAs as soon as I can keep fluid down and the last few times I’ve had a gut upset I think that has helped massively to stave off unwanted weight loss. Then the day after it’s basically business as usual, getting in the food. It might be a bit unpleasant and means I spend a few days bloated AF and uncomfortable but at least I know I’m getting my nutrition in, even if my digestive system isn’t functioning one hundred per cent. It’s a sight better than nothing, and I’m pretty convinced it’s helped me in the longer term.

If you’re dealing with something that is longer lasting than a day or so, though, I don’t understand how anyone simply goes, fuck it, my appetite isn’t there so I’ll just not eat as much. How the fuck does that work? I’m pretty sure a lot of those people generally train well enough, and don’t let an exercise being nasty or them being tired stop them training. How is having low appetite any different to having low desire to do an exercise? They’re both pivotal to your progress, so why let one slide?

It’s simple: if you don’t feel like eating but you know you need to get the calories/macros/micros in, nut up and stuff them down your throat same way as you’d nut up and do that set of squats you dread.

OK, so this turned into a rant. I’m just curious, though, not pissed off.

1 Like

There has been three times in my life that I have lost significant weight due to the inability to eat:

1. I had mononucleosis (mono). This resulted in my having two ear infections and strep throat along with it. After being put on antibiotics for strep throat for two weeks with no sign of clearing up I could barely tolerate swallowing my own saliva let alone getting food into me. Survived off of popsicles and Gatorade for a couple weeks. They finally found out it was mono, and I’m pretty sure it was just a waiting game.
  2. I had my tonsils removed (due to recurrences of strep throat). Once again, a two week healing process limiting my ability to swallow. (I understand these examples may be a little different than what you were speaking to)
  3. There was about a 5 day period where I couldn’t even sip water or nibble toast without running to the bathroom and having a seat for several minutes. Day 5 I took as many Imodium as I could and chugged a bottle of Pedialyte. This seemed to bring this suffering to an end.

Figured I would share those, but yes, otherwise I agree. I can’t really relate to people who say they don’t have an appetite, I wouldn’t even know what that would be like. I could eat myself to death. One of the most joyous activities I partake in is eating. I hate cutting, I love bulking. That is all…thank you for accommodating my rant in your thread.

2 Likes

I don’t get it either. If I’m sick for a week, I weigh the same as I did before getting sick. I have several times that I recall eating enough to warrant an eating disorder.

1. Krispey Kreme had just opened its first location in my state. It happened to be close to my house and the shuttle to get there (yes, that’s how busy it was) was within walking distance. I took $40 and waiting 3 hours to get my donuts. I had 34 of them in one sitting. I later found out that they were 300 calories a piece, minimum.

2. I was at Denny’s on cinco de mayo, drunk, 6 years ago with a couple friends. They had $6 all you can eat pancakes. I challenged my two buddies to see who eat the most. I had 22, each with a combination of syrup, butter, Pb and jam. They ended up eating 13 between the two of them.

3. Me and a friend were tired of listening to my buddy say he is an ectomorph and can’t eat much. So we decided to pay for all his food if he could keep up. We had lunch at Panda and got three entries, then got chipotle and had two burritos each, then proceeded to a Mongolian grill and had several plates before finally hitting up panda again for theee entrees. Our friend tapped out halfway through burrito one. We kept going, because our food was free at that point. So, me being the naturally competitive self, decided to see who could eat more ice cream. I had 2 pints of ben and jerries to take the win.

Ya, eating too much has never been a problem. Probably why Keto works so well for me. I have to do things in extremes.

Sorry to rant in your log… I also think this is my first post here despite reading all of it.

3 Likes

Amateurs! I have eaten a Waffle House completely out of bacon, and they had to go buy more at the store. That’s why they no longer have all you can eat at the Waffle Houses. I ruined it for everybody. :sob:
Now, I have to make myself eat. Every damn day.

3 Likes

Apparently I’m not the only one here who feels strongly about eating then. All rants welcome, by the way.

My relationship to eating has changed so much. I used to love eating, and I ate way too much. Now I like eating, but always at the forefront of my mind is whether what I’m eating fits what I want food to be doing.

2 Likes

Work ended up running just late enough I couldn’t train. This shat me. Now I’m going to have to go early tomorrow morning and still be pushed for time; and then squat on Saturday morning.

Certainly not. Something to think about while training later.

Oh, and to round off a less than great day I’m sitting in my fiancee’s car waiting for a tow because she blew the clutch. She took munchkin in my car to get McDonald’s. I almost caved to the extent of telling her what to get me but I just texted her not to bother. Not worth it.

4 Likes

I can’t remember distinct times…I think I just call that before I turned 27 :smiley: .

I do the whole my wife gets in trouble if I eat something (joking of course, its a game and now she plays to help rather than hinder). Like the Dumbledore drinking in the cave, but in reverse. No matter what I say or do you can not let me eat.

2 Likes

Now THAT is dedication. Those decisions are what help drop the next 5lbs.

2 Likes

I think I lean towards being one of those people you described. More of the issue for me when I’m feeling very ill is getting decent calories, I’d be happy eating 3000 calories of cookies or something. Obviously this would be a macro nightmare. I certainly wouldn’t feel like cooking so the best case scenario for me would be eating out somewhere moderately healthy like a subway.

It’s definitely something I’ll think about though when I’m next feeling sorry for myself. The comparison between sucking up for a hard set of squats and sucking up and eating was a good one that I’ve never considered. I think in this respect I definitely treat training more importantly than nutrition and it’s probably the difference between being extremely successful or not. Thank you for the eye opener.

3 Likes

Up early to train and actually felt OK despite a short sleep. Not complaining.

Today’s training

Lazy lifter plus shoulders

Bench press

30 pull aparts between first three warmup sets

5x181 lbs, under 6 RPE
5x198 lbs, under 6 RPE - misloaded, should have been 209 lbs. I was rushing
5x236 lbs, 8 RPE mostly because on rep five I paused for a couple of seconds
3x5x181 lbs, under 6 RPE across

Dips 50 total reps with 22 lbs: 15, 10, 10, 10, 7

Kroc rows 120 lbs 20 L+R - hit a wall, no juice and grip disappeared
Balance to 50 reps at 90 lbs: 10, 10, 10 - even these were hard.

For whatever reason, I was done. Called it a day leaving out shrugs, curls and stairmill.

4 Likes

Auto regulation.

Duly note it and govern yourself accordingly.

2 Likes

20 reps per arm or total is 20 for both?

Always per arm. I was short today, wanted 27 but that wasn’t happening.

1 Like

Still, stoopid strong.

2 Likes

I dunno, last five or so reps on each arm that 120 lbs was hanging off my top two knuckles.

It’s like you know my 27th is at the end of the month…

2 Likes