MarkKO's Training Log

I think you’ll save a lot of energy if you work on the clean portion. Right now you’re basically high pulling it onto your chest, but if you get into a deep squat at the bottom, it will pay off.

This is a good example

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll practice that too. Definitely anything over 154 lbs I started to feel the weight pulling it up, just got to remember how to clean. It’s been ages. Well, practicing on Monday after bench. Ditto leg drive.

1 Like

That to me is already failure.

This doesn’t really work for me anymore.

I watch nature because I want to enjoy it. I don’t watch it to ‘simmer’ down.

Yes yes. With all things, you don’t want to stretch it out.

But there’s nothing wrong with mastering the ability to harness these emotions and remembering the learning points behind each of them.

You get angry for a reason. Learn why and how to improve from there.

Every situation is different. You can’t expect to use the strategy/rhythm to reach an understanding. Always approach it from different angles and develop a repertoire of analytical skills to derive a mature and altruistic grasp of matters at hand so it becomes a good thing to have experiences, not a bad thing!

It was a long post and I wanted to take my time to read it. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

1 Like

I am going to risk looking like an ass, but your arms bend really early. I don’t know if the same applies to strongman as barbell cleans, but in barbell cleans that makes you lose a lot of power/makes it so you can’t extend fully and powerfully. That and in the high pull stage if your arms bend early there really isn’t anything left to pull/guide the bar.

Of course @strongmanvinny2 and @T3hPwnisher can correct me (in fact please do so) on that since I’ve literally never done a single implement lift before, and probably the only similarity between a clean and a log/axle clean is the name. .

1 Like

You’re actually supposed to have your arms bent whilst cleaning the log, pull the log into you and roll it up. I’ll leave the detailed elaboration to someone else since I’m outside right now.

2 Likes

Sometimes it is really awesome to be over 30. I feel like we are the cut off generation that does stuff like this.

Of course the next generation will probably have “eyephone” implants so that will be awesome too.

2 Likes

Yes. Think of the transition from the lap to your chest like a shrug/upright row/hammer curl all in one movement.

1. Flare the elbows up and out, as you’ll find that’ll facilitate your ability to get the log higher up in your lap thus making the transition to the chest easier.

2. Isometrically shrug hard as the log sits in your lap and think about a loved one who’s dangerously close to being dropped off a large ledge (down a flight of stairs or into a volcano, etc.) and make sure you hug it hard and maintain it high up on your belly/midsection before/as you transition to stand up.

3. Press the log or try to.

3 Likes

No, but should be!

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice guys. I’ll try and put it together on Monday.

Also, I don’t know how I managed without deloading before. Actually, I know how I managed. I wasn’t as strong and didn’t work as hard as I thought I did.

Anyhow, deloading has worked its magic and I found myself getting all excited for deadlifts on Tuesday.

Another hint deload has done its work is that I’m finding it harder to sit still and I get angry at stupid stuff for no apparent reason.

I’m starting to seriously consider getting some bloodwork done. I’d like to know where my T levels are at, what my cholesterol looks like and whatever else usually gets checked. Probably not really necessary - arguably completely unnecessary - but I’m curious.

1 Like

Finally(ish), I am really an arsehole. If you’re outside my family circle (wife, children) and I see you as someone who isn’t useful to society generally (has a job, pays their way, is generally courteous and tolerant towards everyone, likely to leave the world a little better for having been in it) I would rather you dropped off the face of the earth no matter what your relationship to me. If I’m not in a situation where I need to conceal this tendency (work), I won’t try very hard to.

I’ve also realised I’m OK with this. As long as I don’t fall foul of my own rules, I’m OK. Luckily it seems most people who have a good relationship with the iron follow the rules too.

This creates some friction between my other half and I on occasion.

6 Likes

Yeah, vinny is already here to save us, but when I messed around with a log at my wife’s old gym in Michigan, I learned that cleaning a log was nothing like cleaning a barbell, and if you watch vids of strongman competitors, you’ll see that.

It’s still super fun, but it’s a lot more like just hossing it on to your legs, and then explosively rolling it from your thighs up your belly to your shoulders. Just like this…

1 Like

A damn blessing and a curse. I know they are necessary, and I have always come back stronger the following week and usually get rid of any aches and pains over the course of the week…but…I dislike not lifting heavy. Training is much less enjoyable during a deload, I enjoy the shorter workouts, but lack of intensity leaves me feeling unsatisfied.
Big upside. Minor downside.

2 Likes

That’s pretty good for not running much, haha.

I don’t think everyone has to run to stay in shape, but I do like Wendler’s idea that you should get enough residual fitness from lifting and whatever conditioning to at least run a mile without dying. Good stuff.

2 Likes

Too funny. Speaking my language generally. This is an actual conversation.

WIFE: Let’s go out to dinner.
SON: Mom really?
WIFE: Why not?
SON: It’s Friday night, it’s going to be crowded.
WIFE: So, we’ll wait.
SON: But Dad hates people!. Especially, PEOPLE!

5 Likes

Hahahaaa! Too funny!

1 Like

For me it’s people when they’re so numerous there’s less than a metre of empty space around me; and loud music. I can kind of deal with people but when the music is loud enough to make it hard to hear what someone close to you is saying, I’m out. I just sit there feeling completely out of place and detached from everyone trying to figure out why anyone would choose to put themselves in that situation. Apparently I usually look pissed off AF while doing this too.

1 Like

I feel cheated and lied to every time someone calls them cleans. It’s actually just a really complicated upright row. :wink:

And yeah, after saying that I remembered that log cleans actually look very different than cleans.

@MarkKO: Yeah, I can’t understand why people would want to go to loud places. Having to shout into someone’s ear so that they can hear you is pretty annoying.

2 Likes

Me neither, but this is something I’m beginning to think I need to look into in much more depth.

Effectively I’m at a point where I need to figure out if I’m a narcissistic, egotistical arsehole because that’s simply who I am or if there’s something else underlying these traits. The fact that I’m wondering gives me hope, because I figure if I was really that much of an egotistical narcissist I would neither notice nor care.

Long story, but my (over?)reaction to being in a loud, crowded environment recently was extremely badly received and sparked a long conversation/argument about why it was. This led me to think about why I react to things the way I do, why I don’t have many friends (not including you guys), why I’m not empathetic, etc. I then went and did test to see my Q score and got 33/50 the first and 32/50 the second time. Anyone see where this is going?

This is my Cliff Notes:

• I thrive on routine and tend to get angry or uncomfortable/scared when it is disrupted;
  • I am not very empathetic at all, and generally don’t care about many people;
  • I generally regard most people and their opinion of me and my actions completely unimportant;
  • I tend to focus almost obsessively on one interest, although these do change on occasion. My life will essentially revolve around these interests;
  • I do not make friends easily, although I can interact socially quite easily even though it feels extremely unnatural;
  • I can bore people when talking to them if I’m not careful because I often go on and on about my interests - I’m getting better at self regulating this, but I still need to watch myself;
  • I dislike travelling because it disrupts my routine, although I used not to;
  • looking back, the times have felt most comfortable in myself are when I have had a pretty rigid routine and focused on a particular activity - while the times I have been the least comfortable/unhappiest are when I have had neither of these elements;
  • I find keeping things in order and checking over details quite soothing, and I find it disconcerting when things are out of place;
  • I feel very separate from people, not antipathic but more like I can never hope to understand why they do what they do;
  • I have had occasional panic attacks or rage spikes from my teens onwards that I have never been able to fully explain.

So, I can see where that could lead. I think I’ll get a referral from my GP and take it from there. One scenario, I’ll be told I’m just a narcissistic and egotistical arsehole and I’ll have to do my utmost to clean my act up. Another scenario and I’ll be told I might just come across as a narcissistic and egotistical arsehole but for a different reason. A rose by any other name…

3 Likes