MarkKO's Training Log

3 Likes

Bookmarked.

I try to keep my weight under the original weight I was in pre-workout.

For example:

I sip after snatches.

250ml after bodyweight exercises
250ml after conditioning

And still lighter, if ever so slightly.

If I go for a run, I lose about 0.2kg.

If I’m going for a rep PR, especially on squats, that’s exactly what I do. Rep, big exhale, deep breaths to relax and re-set, take air and go again. By the last five reps though, the inter-rep breaths are way more hurried simply because I have to make sure I won’t vomit or pass out and because I physically can’t get much air in.

@planetcybertron knows her stuff

1 Like

Decided to bite the bullet and drop my calories to 2300. Deload is usually when I change things like that because my recovery burden lower, so I figure it’ll be easier on my body to adjust. I was up on the scale on waking, but looking as lean as when I’m a couple of pounds lighter so that wasn’t really a driver in the decision.

1 Like

@darkcop

I can understand. I am by no means saying that one way to deal with something is the best because I would be lying. If you can manage your life well, without bringing harm to others physically or mentally then you’ve got the majority of the population beat by a long shot anyways. And I’ve come along way in thinking like that over stuff I cant control. I had been struggling with an eating disorder for about 14 years of my life, and I had to really come to grips with what it means to “let go”, and let things I cant control be exactly just that: things I cant control. And running is a great way to relieve tension. And I’ve also said earlier that its perfectly fine to actually feel anger. Just kind of say, “hey, I’m pissed. alright. yea I’m pissed, and its okay for me to be pissed.” If you let that continue for however long you need to, the brain does a cool thing where it’ll get tired of either thinking about the source of what made you feel like that, or it will kind of do a default setting thing, where random thoughts kind of just start flowing (it happens when youre trying to be sad or upset about something, but cant). Most times people (myself included), let the heart take over and we get stuck on one feeling for hours, days, months, and sometimes decades. But I also researched a cool breathing/thinking technique and its called “floating leaf technique”. Sorry to throw my nerdiness on therapy all over Mark’s page, but in short all you do is close your eyes, picture a stream, river, moving lake, what have you, and picture yourself writing down any every last thought down to memories, movies, how noises sound (a bit hard to explain), words, situations, etc, on a leaf, and picture yourself placing the leaf into the stream and watching it float away. The more you practice this the faster you can do it. And to my surprise a lot of therapy institutions practice this. Some have different names for it, but they all generally do the same exercise. So if you ever want to try and pick up a good habit try that. The main purpose for this is to train yourself to not get stuck on one emotion that usually has negative outcomes when its dwelt on too long. The faster you can do it, the faster you tend to calm down. Takes some practice to get a rhythm going though.

Felt pretty rough going to bed and had a pretty crappy sleep but somehow felt OK on waking. Hadn’t intended to train but the way things panned out everyone had different things to do so I was effectively packed off to the gym. Didn’t mind one bit.

Also, as mentioned, first day on 2300 cal/day.

The plan was to have a bit of fun, working up to five at eight RPE on front squats and incline bench and then do some BB rows and maybe some conditioning.

Today’s training

Lazy lifter plus shoulders

Front squat

5ishxbar
5ishx132 lbs
5x220 lbs, under 6 RPE
5x264 lbs, 6 RPE
5x308 lbs, 7 RPE - proof by now that straps are awesome
2x352 lbs, 9 RPE - wasn’t happy with the first rep due to crappy setup making me feel like I was losing it and cut depth to just parallel, so hit a second and realised a third was on the cards apart from my left bicep cramping a little

Very pleased given my max is 363 lbs

The incline bench sits next to the bar tree, which is where the log lives. For some reason it caught my eye, and I decided fuck it, it’s deload week.

5x88 lbs, under 6 RPE - empty log
5x110 lbs, under 6 RPE
5x132 lbs, 6-7 RPE
5x154 lbs, 7 RPE - started using (bad) leg drive @flipcollar
5x176 lbs, 8-9 RPE
1x198 lbs, 10 RPE

Didn’t account for the collars in the weight, each collar weighs 1.25 lbs.

This was heaps of fun, and the log press felt good. I’ll use them instead if military press after bench. What I’ll do to help my leg drive is press as normal until my arms get tired and then eke out more reps with leg drive @littlesleeper @T3hPwnisher @Benanything

BB rows, 50 total reps at 220 lbs: 12, 15, 14, 10

Felt easier then I remember 220 lbs feeling. Grip better too I think. Kept things reasonably strict.

Prowler rope pulls (hand over hand) and push back to start on the nine metre track. Loaded 220 lbs on the prowler, did five rounds in around five minutes.

10 Likes

Badass Bro!

2 Likes

The log is one of those exercises that is not easy to generate power via leg drive (at least for me). My strict log press, and log push press are not very far apart. I’m still pretty new under the log myself, so I assume that this will get better as I feel more comfortable holding the log on my chest, but currently I have some sloppy leg drive when trying to log press.

Definitely a fun exercise though!

1 Like

How much RPE does almost falling add? :smiley:

also straight BEAST MODE!!!

1 Like

Way to grind through the 90 kg rep :allthethings:

1 Like

90kgs log haha, I remember when I tried that not too long ago.

That sounds about right, think you’ll do a strongman show anytime in 2017/2018? Would be a good time off from powerlifting.

3 Likes

About 0.5, so 9-10 is a grind, 9.5-10 is a grind with extra struggle, 10 is almost falling.

1 Like

If one comes up on a weekend before a deload I’ll strongly consider it. Otherwise it’d disrupt my training too much this year. In 2018, who knows, especially the latter half.

I thought a ten RPE was when you actually shit yourself or passed out.

Am I wrong?

3 Likes

That’s the top end of it.

It looks really good. Definitely enough volume to keep muscle, and if you program your main lifts right you should be getting stronger on it.

1 Like

Cleans and push presses out of no-where! Good job.

7 pieces of supportive gear? You’re just 3-4 pieces short of a full set of Strongman Flair.

1 Like

This is a deload of firsts. No training was slated until cycle two starts on Monday, but I was at a loose end and it wasn’t too hot. The idea of seeing how fast I could run a mile had been kicking around my head for some time - my reason being that since I’m essentially doing 531 I should do a bit more than pay lip service to Jim’s idea of being better all over.

So, I sat down and used Google Maps to plot my course (400 m tracks are a relative rarity in Australia) which is apparently 1.04 miles, so we’ll call it a mile. Then I uploaded the course to my mobile device

and off I went into territory belonging to @ActivitiesGuy and @darkcop. First quarter mile started fast and easy and then very quickly became horrible. Around halfway I my body stopped panicking because it remembered that running just sucks and I settled into a pace, which felt decent and saved me in the last quarter. Thank fuck I learned how to breathe years ago, because I’d have gassed out by the end of the first quarter otherwise.

Finished in seven minutes and 17 seconds. Pretty happy with that. I was hoping for eight but prepared to be disappointed. It was pretty flat, slight uphill for the second half of the first quarter.

6 Likes

You’re running now too!?!

What’s next, sprint archery? :laughing:

1 Like

That’s a thing?