MarkKO's Training Log

Today’s training

Lazy lifter plus shoulders

Squat

15 TRX fatman pull-ups between first three warmup sets

5x300 lbs, under 6 RPE, open belt
5x346 lbs, under 6 RPE
5x396 lbs, 6 RPE

All sets didn’t really breathe much between reps. Interesting.

FSL front squats 5x8x200 lbs, all around 7 RPE. Used straps, felt OK

SSB RFESS 50 total reps at 154 lbs: 12, 10, 10, 10, 8

Halfway through remembered I’d decided to stay at 132 lbs, and today reminded me why. After front squats these were not pleasant.

45 degree back raises 100 total reps: 50, 50

I may need to add weight to these from now on.

Supersetted calf raises/hanging leg raises

Calf raises 40, 25 at 143 lbs
Leg raises 20, first seven STB - soon I think I’ll be doing straight STB in 10s.

Was running out of time by now plus my left elbow felt a bit off after the leg raises so called it a day. Shame, but I’m not risking aggravating my elbow for assistance work. I think this goes back to the holidays where I slightly overdid pull-ups, and then Tuesday where I had to do chins and overhand grip pull-ups instead of neutral grip plus tried using my left hand as underhand on DL. Add in today with front squats (yes, straps, but still involving elbow flexion) and I think it just needs a day or two to calm down.

I’ll post a highlight reel of the week’s work later.

2 Likes

Dunno, Soccer and Baseball are my two favorite sports outside of barbell sports. Just sit down, and hang out with friends or family, even better (I assume) if you drink during it.

I’ll watch rugby if it’s on, preferably union. American football I’m developing a taste for, and I don’t mind decent boxing, Muay Thai or MMA. Can’t do soccer really, nor cricket.

2 Likes

Here are this week’s highlights such as they are:

2 Likes

Here’s my chubby ass eeking out 130x40.

2 Likes

Holy fuck. That’ll take me a bit, but we’ll see.

1 Like

It surprised me a bit too. I am not sure what my rep record for 130 is, but I am pretty sure I destroyed it.

1 Like

First night shift of seven. Actually managed a decent nap halfway through the day, which is helping enormously.

Listened to a bunch of the tracks off the new Metallica album on YouTube. Don’t know if it’s just me, but there are maybe three that are pretty good (Spit Out the Bone, Confusion and Murder One, Here Comes Revenge is also decent) and the rest are, well, bland. Kind of like the guys just punched the clock.

You’re really starting to look lean! Its cool to see the big results from the gradual, steady weight loss plan.

The new Metallica album is growing on me as I listen to it more. The other day I realised I’ve been mad at Metallica since the “Until It Sleeps” video, like 20 years ago! I’ve decided to just be happy I can still lift and listen to some new stuff.

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s starting to come together quite nicely so far. It’s exciting.

I think Wired… is a decent album, with flashes of what I like best about Metallica. Not sure I’ll buy it though, I need to get a bunch more Spiritual Beggars albums too.

Feeling pretty GD good for night shift. A massive part of that was a two hour nap I had midway before my shift yesterday. Sounds like peanuts, but makes a big difference because it set me up going into my first shift feeling human.

Also managed my eating window quite well today: up at 1300ish, had breakfast and now I’ve already had lunch and dinner so snack/pre-work breakfast left (its 2000ish now, and I’ll eat before I leave at 2200). Yes, that’s a very short eating window but I prefer it compared to the other option: extended window with essentially no fasting window as I would have during normal hours. TL;DR I’d rather have a longer overnight fast than a shorter overnight fast.

I think I touched on this a while back, but to reiterate my position is that when you work occasional nights, the best way to not get your sleep and eating rhythm out of whack is to deliberately not adjust fully for the week or so you work at night. For me a shorter eating window is part of this. I figure my regular window is 12 to 14 hours with a window between dinner and breakfast of around 10 to 12 hours, so I can get away with cutting my eating window down to 10 to 12 hours for a short time and extend my fasting window to 14 hours if necessary.

2 Likes

My gym only goes up to 120’s, and I knew I wouldn’t be able to match your grip.
But, with straps I just hit 100x100. You game?

1 Like

100 reps? I can’t even count that high!

2 Likes

Spent a large part of today either asleep or dozing. Night shift, combined with a busy holiday period where I didn’t really get a decent long sleep at any point, decided to hit me. My fiancee and the munchkin were great about it, so by the time work rolled around I felt vaguely human again.

Anyway, one strategy I have to help me relax when I’m trying to get to sleep is to go through my next meet’s third attempts and visualise going through the lifts. I hadn’t actually given much consideration to my attempts or even a distinct goal for my next meet. My focus in the last couple of months of 2016 had been on getting through the rest of the year’s training and getting the first half of 2017’s training set out - the extent to which my next meet was involved in that latter was little more than picking a meet so I had a date to schedule things towards. Beyond wanting to improve my total and break 300 lbs on bench I really hadn’t given any thought to what I wanted to do.

For some reason, while I lay there dozing that is precisely where my mind decided to go. It was almost surreal, but satisfying.

Squat - 572 lbs (260 kg)
Bench - 319 lbs (145 kg)
Deadlift - 600 lbs (272.5 kg)
Total - 1491 lbs (677.5 kg)

I probably spent a good two hours at least going over whether these were realistic targets for early July. Whichever way I look at it, I think they are. The squat is probably the biggest jump, but if everything goes according to plan I’ll be hitting a wrapped triple at 528 lbs during my peaking phase - assuming I hit that, and I can say that even now I would back myself to manage 528 lbs for a double so I’m confident - I don’t see 572 lbs in meet as being unrealistic. For bench, I figure there’s no point in aiming to just scrape 300 lbs. I can hit 302 lbs now messily. Give me even a couple more months and 302 lbs with calls will be fine again, so adding 17 lbs or so over seven months is, again, realistic.

I had a bit of a breakthrough with bench at the end of December - I can’t quite put a finger on it, but I think having gotten to a good 302 lbs, then getting hurt and missing it in meet and then a couple of months later managing to grind it out at a lower bodyweight finally makes me feel like I can say, yes, I can bench 300 lbs. I’m not going to limit myself to making just over 300 lbs a third attempt when the next meet is seven months away. I made a conscious decision when I started benching again after my bicep strain that I would no longer consider myself a bad bencher - rather I would train my bench like a good bencher. It all came down to how comfortable DB benching was, and how much I could move with DBs; how good closer grip bench felt coming back was a part of it too. My mentality now is that while I might not be a great bencher, I’m sure as hell not a bad bencher. I’m convinced the vast majority of issues I had with benching stemmed from having convinced myself I was a bad bencher and as a result adopting a technique, setup and expectations based on that assumption.

For deadlift, I think 600 lbs is a good third attempt - it will just be a matter of nutting up and moving it. Almost every third deadlift I’ve gotten so far - in fact all bar one - left me feeling I could have pulled a bit more. I’ll set my second attempt so that (assuming I got my third bench) it gets me a PR total by 5-10 lbs or so. That way even if I don’t manage 600 lbs, I’ll have a PR total to go home with.

Given that I’ll be in the 198s for that meet, I think a 1491 total would be pretty decent. Yes, it is a big improvement on my current total - but no matter which way I turn it, I don’t see how any of those attempts are wildly unrealistic. As it stands, this is what my initial plan for each lift looks like.

Squat
1 - 495 lbs (225 kg)
2A - 539 lbs (245 kg)
2B - 528 lbs (240 kg)
3A - 572 lbs (260 kg)
3B - 561 lbs (255 kg)

Bench
1 - 286 lbs (130 kg)
2A - 308 lbs (140 kg)
2B - 302 lbs (137.5 kg)
3A - 319 lbs (145 kg)
3B - 308 lbs (140 kg)

Deadlift
1 - 506 lbs (230 kg)
2A - 561 lbs (255 kg)
2B - 550 lbs (250 kg)
3A - 600 lbs (272.5 kg)
3B - 583 lbs (265 kg)

That would give me a total ranging between 1452 lbs (660 kg) and 1491 lbs (677.5 kg) and around 1380 lbs (627.5 kg) if things go rather badly.

Obviously this is all subject to reality as time progresses, but it is a starting point I am very comfortable with.

6 Likes

testicals (fiancee’s addition made while I wasn’t looking)

I’ve been experimenting with Valerian as a sleep aid these last few days. It seems to help sleep quality a whole bunch - so even though I got a shade under four hours today I felt just about ready to function once I’d had breakfast.

Today’s training

Bench press

30 pull-aparts with rotation between first three warmup sets

Left bicep/shoulder had been feeling fine on waking, started hurting once I started benching but that just seems to be the way of it at the moment. As long as it gets better over time I’m ok with it taking a while.

5x176 lbs, under 6 RPE
5x203 lbs, under 6 RPE
5x231 lbs, 7 RPE - very pleased, felt smooth and comfortable
3x8x176 lbs, 6 RPE except the last set at 7 RPE

Supersetted military press/T-bar row
Press 50 total reps at 88 lbs: 16, 16, 12, 10
Rows 100 total reps at 88 lbs: 26, 22, 23, 18, 15

This is getting easier as I get used to it. Still a good pump though.

Supersetted Hammer curls/BB shrugs
Curls 50 total reps at 30 lbs: 17, 13, 12, 10
Shrugs: 25, 25, 25, 25

Stationary bike sprints, 10 x 40 sec off/20 sec on at level 11

2 Likes

About to cross the line into sleep deprivation, so happy AF I’m not training tomorrow. I’ve slept for about seven hours in total since Sunday morning. Driving home after the last two shifts has been genuinely frightening because I have been within a blink or two of a microsleep far too often.

Today’s training

Lazy lifter

Stiff bar DL

5 pull-ups between first three warmup sets - was able to neutral grip. They felt fucking amazing. First time pull-ups have felt natural, so that set things off on a good note.

5x357 lbs, under 6 RPE - reps alternated between overhand and hook grip (OH/hook/OH/hook/OH)
5x407 lbs, under 6 RPE - straps, and I’d forgotten how fucking horrible they make the bottom part of the pull. Starting position was really good though, felt better than the last few DL sessions
5x456 lbs, 8 RPE - despite the fact that bar speed suggests to me it was closer to 6-7 RPE I think this was where my lack of sleep was starting to kick in. Positioning felt good though, it was just hard work.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPEsIwyhcNO/

SGDL 3x5x275 lbs, all under 6 RPE

SSB squat, 50 total reps at 280 lbs: 15, 20, 15

Supersetted calf raises/ab wheel rollouts
Calves 100 total reps at 143 lbs: 30, 35, 35
Ab wheel with 33 lbs: 25, 15, 10

4 Likes

Ouch, and still hitting the training hard. Hopefully today/tomorrow you can get some much needed shut-eye.

I only had about an 8 month experience with working long night shifts, but I feel for ya. Although, at the time I was NOT working out. It definitely takes a toll on the body, so be safe! There’s my Mom speech for ya.

1 Like

I’d hate to miss training just because of when I work. I do nights every six weeks, so it’s manageable.

However, yes, I will be sleeping a bit more tomorrow, hopefully around six or seven hours. It’ll be enough to keep me functioning. If I can find somewhere during my break I’ll nap too.

Slept. This makes a difference. Also got my Plazma in the mail after it cleared customs. Around a pound up on the scale but looking good. I’m guessing it’s because I had a short waking period yesterday and ate around 2200 calories.

Today’s training

Bench press

30 pull aparts between first three warmup sets

4x176 lbs, under 6 RPE - felt like dogshit and also miscounted
5x203 lbs, 6 RPE - more dogshit
5x231 lbs, 7 RPE - first set that actually felt good
3x5x176 lbs, under 6 RPE

Dips 50 total reps: 20, 13, 12, 10

I’m considering adding weight now instead of waiting on getting 25 reps.

Kroc rows 110 lbs 30 L+R - felt pretty garbage going in so didn’t expect more than 20 do I didn’t film

Balance to 50 reps at 80 lbs: 14, 10

Supersetted hammer curls/Fat Gripz BB shrugs
Curls 50 total reps at 30 lbs: 14, 11, 11, 14
Shrugs 100 total reps: 20, 20, 20, 20, 20

Stairmill 10 minutes at level 7

3 Likes

Up on the scale again but looking the same and not feeling bloated. Maybe it was the curry and loads of water from yesterday? Not sure. I didn’t go over my calories and hit my macros these last two days so I don’t have an explanation for why my scale weight is up about 2.5 lbs over two days.

Not worried, but mildly frustrated. If by Monday I’m not back down to where I was earlier this week (201.5 lbs) I may have to seriously consider going to 2300 cal/day.

There’s no possibility higher volume training would add weight is there?