MarkKO's Training Log

You battling with the plates on the Trap Bar hit me right in the sympathize feels and I LOLed. Also pretty jealous your Trap Bar can fit 572 on it, if only for a rep.

Sorry if you said why already but how come the switch to oly shoes?

1 Like

I’m gonna give you an official “second” on this, except that my weights are more like 500 “true” max / 425ish “any day” max. But this all basically mirrors my experience.

2 Likes

I have a trap bar that can hold 900+ of standard plates. I love it :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

My new goal is to max out a trap bar, thank you Mark.

EDIT: I’ve just realised how much weight you had on it, I may take a while.

2 Likes

@BOTSLAYER I saw how Reed changed his squat to something that looks like a well execute version of mine (stance, foot angle especially) and that he was using Oly shoes. Since I have a pair, I figured during deload I’d try them for squats to see how it felt. It felt amazing, so I decided to use them for a while and see what happens.

3 Likes

It’ll give you something to do.

Week 2, 3s week

Working from nine to five this week so have to train early morning. Not my favourite, but as long as I get all my meals ready the night before it’s tolerable.

Today’s training

Realised I’d forgotten my Plazma-like I make for upper body days when I got in, so I bought a scoop of whey and a scoop of dextrose. Not particularly pleasant but better than nothing.

Lazy lifter plus shoulders

Bench press

25 pull aparts between first three warmup sets

3x189 lbs, under 6 RPE
3x218 lbs, under 6 RPE
3x236 lbs, 6-7 RPE
3x264 lbs, 9 RPE - no pauses, but I’m still quite pleased because it felt really good. Something felt off in my left elbow which I’ll keep an eye on, but I’m not concerned because it didn’t really hurt as such.

Press, 25 total reps at 110 lbs: 13, 12

Probably too light, so I’ll try 121 lbs next week.

T-bar row 50 total reps at 121 lbs: 20, 15, 15

Should probably go to 121 lbs for this too

Supersetted hammer curls/DB shrugs

Curls 50 total reps at 25 lbs: 15, 13, 12, 10

DB shrugs at 100 lbs: 15, 13, 12, 10

Got an obnoxious forearm pump from these.

Stationary bike sprints 10x40 sec off/20 sec on at level 10

That knot in my right upper back is still there, but it’s slowly going. Sipping on my Plazma-like after training because I had enough time to go home.

4 Likes

How do you like oly shoes for squatting? They make me a good bit weaker in my opinion. Like dropping down to what I did for 335X5X5 paused to 335X3X5 (weightxrepsxsets). This is on oly style squats though, so I was already forcing myself to use a ton of quad.

I like them a lot. I haven’t changed my stance or anything though.

When I started, I squatted narrow in Oly shoes, but my technique was shit. Then I widened my stance, eventually ditched the Oly shoes for Chucks but my technique was still shit. Eventually I shifted my stance to medium and my technique went from shit to suck, and now I’m back in Oly shoes.

2 Likes

Have you ever tried pressing in a more straight line?

Although the pressing back style allows you to get the bar fast of your chest due to elbow flare,I feel like you can’t really grind from that possition

Still,reps were nice and fast

I have, and it doesn’t work nearly as well. Plus I can’t grind as well that way either. Pressing towards my head lets me grind just fine, as long as I time my flare right.

1 Like

No early morning training today, which is how I like it.

Today’s training

Lazy lifter

SGDL

4 pull-ups between first three warmup sets. They felt great. Chest to bar each rep, first two reps almost sternum to bar.

5x297 lbs, 6+ RPE
5x341 lbs, 6 RPE - a bit dizzy after, must have really braced
8x385 lbs, 9 RPE - seriously dizzy after, had to kneel for a bit. Hadn’t meant to go beyond five reps today but it was feeling good.

Because it was SGDL added bands to my 90 degree back raises. First set shown

100 total reps:
34 - 10 heavy, 10 medium and light, 8 light, 6 bodyweight
35 - 15 medium, 12 light, 8 bodyweight
31 - 24 light, 7 bodyweight

Massive back pump, didn’t hit my hamstrings as much so that’s worth being aware of.

Supersetted calf raises/weighted ab wheel rollouts:

Calf raises 100 total reps at 132 lbs: 25, 25, 25, 25
Ab wheel 50 total reps with 22 lbs: 15, 14, 11, 10

@brady888 these were a good idea

Just wait for the DOMS man, it’s silly how sore abs can get. Glad you liked em!

1 Like

When the DOMS show up, you’ll think twice about that statement, lol.

2 Likes

Training with my best mate/best man today, tomorrow and next week. It’s a nice change. Dude has a great work ethic. He’s a Muay Thai fighter with five fights around the 155 lbs mark.

Today’s training

Lazy lifter, forgot shoulders

Bench press

25 pull aparts between first three warmup sets

3x189 lbs, under 6 RPE - noticing the forgotten shoulder warmup, this continued throughout all sets. At the time I didn’t realise why it was happening
3x218 lbs, under 6 RPE
3x236 lbs, 7-8 RPE
3x218 lbs, 6 RPE
3x189 lbs, under 6 RPE

Dips 50 total reps: 12, 12, 10, 10, 8

Kroc rows 100 lbs 26 L+R

Supersetted hammer curls/Fat Gripz BB shrugs

Curls with 25 lbs DBs: 17, 13, 10, 10
Shrugs with 154 lbs: 20, 20, 20, 20, 20

Stairmill 10 minutes at level 6

1 Like

I seem to have upset my right wrist. It happened while shrugging. All I can think of is that as my grip died, I somehow twisted my wrist trying to get a better grip. Hopefully it calms down soon. No real effect other than pain, though, and only bending the wrist sideways, not backwards and forwards.

EDIT: stretching my wrist back into what is essentially a clean grip seems to kind of help.

I like how this is the warmup nearly every workout.:sunglasses: I mean, I tend to do something very similar when I’m feeling lazy, but I try to get in the full agile 8 when I can because otherwise I start to feel little pains everywhere.

And yes, weighted ab wheels or ab wheels from standing can wreak havoc on the core…in a good (evil) way.

Workouts are looking good man.

1 Like

This might sound odd, but I was getting a feeling that Agile 8 was actually doing me no favours. It might be coincidence, but since I stopped my hips/groin and knees feel better, less strained.

I was probably doing it like an idiot, but anyhow, the lazy lifter makes me feel good, and and the hanging kind of opens my shoulders too which Agile 8 never did.

Pissed off with my wrist though. Hope it clears up. I think maybe just tired from the gripping today and irritated by the straps from Tuesday. Hopefully. Not that I’ve got anything to complain about.

2 Likes

I totally agree with you here. I like agile 8 for squat and deads to open I my hips more. But I also perform the hang, face pulls/dislocates for the shoulders and also some different spinal decompression movements.
Touch wood I’ve been relatively pain free for awhile now and the only thing I can really attribute that to is prioritizing my warm-ups. But there is no doubt that everyone is different in how much warmup they need.

1 Like

Ended up training at a respectable hour instead of before the sun rose. I prefer this option. Right wrist still hurting but improving, so that’s a plus.

Today’s training

Lazy lifter and most definitely shoulders

Squat (Oly shoes)

12 TRX fatman pull-ups between first three warmup sets

3x335 lbs, under 6 RPE
3x379 lbs, under 6 RPE
3x429 lbs, just under 6 RPE
3x473 lbs, 9 RPE - still rebuilding my confidence after that 500 lbs fail. Almost tried it again today, but reason prevailed. I’ll break 500 lbs in sleeves next week, if I’d only done a single at 473 lbs I’d have been good for a 500 lbs single.

Kept the Oly shoes on

SSB RFESS 50 total reps at 110 lbs: 10, 10, 12, 10, 8

New favourite RFESS version. It’ll be easier to load down the track too.

Supersetted calf raises/leg raises (hanging again, won’t be using slings any more)

Calves: 25, 25, 25, 25 - pausing a little at the top of each rep makes these BURN
Leg raises (first three reps all shins to bar): 13, 13, 12, 12 - these are still ugly AF but my abs feel them for sure and I’ll improve the movement the more I do it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BODt3uWBnOa/

2 Likes