MarkKO's Training Log

Mark have you considered getting your bloods done just to check everything is in order. Doubt there is anything other than fatigue going on but it doesnt hurt to check and it’s usually free.

1 Like

Yeah, his writing and social media ‘personality’ scream, “fkn send it” rather than, “play it safe” haha

2 Likes

Congrats on the invite! That’s pretty cool! Sounds like a great chance for redemption and by that I mean a healthy meet.

1 Like

Woke at 248.8 lbs, looking similar to yesterday. Still feel pretty beat, but I think this is the nadir and it’ll be upwards from here.

@simo74 good point. I did do that some time ago when I felt similar to this and it all came back ok. I think I’ve just been trying to do too much at the same time. Peak starting coincided with me working 50 hour weeks and that continued throughout the peak and past the meet, then I got sick for that meet, etc. So shit just built up and got to a point I couldn’t ignore any more.

@Despade he just asked for specifics in terms of time till the meet and where I was at in hypertrophy. His verdict was do this week, deload, then jump into regular programming. So I’ll deload next week which will in fact be a reload as I’m not doing shit this week so I can get back to normal.

@JMaier31damn right.

4 Likes

Here are some cool things:

I napped today. So yeah, ditched work. I figured I could push through it and end up feeling like shit halfway through again, or I could recover a bit. It helps that the project I’m on is now ahead of time. I’d like to think some of my extra hours helped with that.

Me tanking probably couldn’t have happened at a better time. Four day week this week (Easter Friday), then three day week next week (Easter Monday and ANZAC day on Thursday). So I actually get to back off work and training simultaneously.

8 Likes

Woke at 252 lbs, looking similar to yesterday. Only just gotten up but I feel a ton better. Seems like two long sleeps with a day of resting and napping between them helped a ton.

5 Likes

Glad you are feeling better. Being pulled down makes you appreciate the good times even more

1 Like

That makes two of us.

I think today might be the first in a while I don’t feel tired. Just in time for the weekend, too.

2 Likes

Great to hear Mark. You’ll bounce back soon.
And do keep an eye on the back, don’t wanna read you fucked it up again.
Enjoy the weekend Mate.

1 Like

Live it up on the weekend…end up the same next week!

2 Likes

@mortdk I think it’s just stiffness now. I did a bunch of air squats yesterday and there was no discomfort of any kind.

@gsg202 that’s something I gave up years ago. Doesn’t do me, or my bank balance, any good. My wife puts up with me as I am, I wouldn’t ask her to put up with off my face me.

Try B12 to give you some energy. I have been taking 5000mcg every day and I feel great. Just make sure you get the sublingual tablets, the regular pills only get a fraction into your bloodstream.

A few years ago I read an interview with some Russian coach (not Sheiko, some guy I never heard of and can’t remember his name) and he was saying how when athletes get a round of B12 injections they have an increase in performance similar to steroids. Seeing as B12 is safe as long as you don’t take some ridiculous dosages and I don’t want to take steroids I thought I would give it a try. I imagine steroids would work better but this stuff really increases energy, not sure if it helps your muscles recover but in terms of CNS recovery it definitely helps.

Just don’t take too much, one time I was taking 10,000mcg per day and after a few days I was too hyper and could barely sleep. The weird thing is that I didn’t even feel tired in the morning and training went well but not sleeping can’t be a good thing. It seems like if you keep taking it the effects continue for about a month, after that you don’t burn out or anything but you just get back to normal. I think you need a few months off for it to work again. Over here they sell 5000mcg pills and it says “Naturally Energizing” on the package, I’m not telling you to take crack.

2 Likes

Woke at 250.9 lbs, looking a bit less bloated than yesterday. Apparently that’s what a three course fine dining dinner and a half bottle of red wine do. Go figure.

@chris_ottawa I’ll look into that. Thank you. I’ll probably have to as a pharmacist about the sub linguals because I don’t think I’ve ever seen them on the shelf.

2 Likes

Hopefully it all sorts itself out soon mate. I’ll have to try and make it to the Adelaide comp to see you lift in the flesh :+1:
As for B12, a bird at work gets injections from her doc, she reckons it’s shits all over anything else she’s tried.
Ah just read it’s in Glenelg, about 40 mins from here, and run by Fuzzy, met him a few times a while back, seems like a good bloke, pretty sure he had a gym near here for a while too.

2 Likes

Fuzzy’s Power Gym? Still going. Maybe he moved it?

1 Like

Felt good enough to train today. Properly good enough, not I can make it through good enough.

Since I’m deloading next week I figured I’d go in and hit my squat, bench and dead for their sets I should have done this week and leave it at that.

Todays training

90/90, McGill big three

Squat, walked out
2x10xbar - first set was super stiff, second got a bit better
6xplate/148 lbs - yeah, ok. Getting there
4x2 plates/236 lbs - a mite high but worlds better than last week
2x10x308 lbs - hooo boy. First rep was a little cautious on the descent but it was ok. First set was harder than I would have liked. Obviously not back to 100 per cent yet. Almost called the second set, but wasn’t going to fall into the trap of fear. Second set actually got some speed going. Much better.

A couple of hours later it occurred to me that 2x10x308 lbs isn’t exactly baby weight, and doing it beltless doesn’t make it easier. So maybe actually having to make an effort to do it wasn’t such a surprise after all.

Lower back and thighs now all tingly. Yay. That’s new. Although, at least it’s a specific problem instead of generic not feeling so hot in the Lower back. Which means it should have a specific solution.

No way I’m deadlifting today. I could, but it would be dumb

Band work including Y-raises

Bench press
2x10xbar
6xplate
2x10x170 lbs

Reverse hyper
20ishxplate
2x20ishx2 plates

Helped the back a bit for maybe 20 minutes

Pullups
5 each wide overhand, wide neutral and close neutral

SuperD lower back protocol and some kettlebell halos

All up an hour and 40 minutes.

Team Panora physio will get back to me on a potential back fix.

12 Likes

Woke at 250 lbs, looking similar to yesterday. Lower back tight as all shit. Tingly too.

So Team Panora physio gave me some tests to do and did them. Now I have some exercises and stretches to do twice a day:

2x30 second holds of
piriformis stretch each side
glute stretch each side
adductor stretch each side
hip flexor stretch each side
oblique stretch each side
lat stretch
hamstring stretch each side
calf stretch each side
quad stretch each side
glute medius stretch each side

3x10 glute bridges with bracing (suck stomach away from belt line, hold pee, breathe in, squeeze butt cheeks)

10x10 seconds 90/90 with bracing

That all made my back feel a ton better than it has for maybe 10 minutes. Hopefully the more I do it, the longer the better will last.

9 Likes

Actually, @Koestrizer you’ve had some back issues recently no? This may be of interest. Likewise @FlatsFarmer because you’re the fix it guru.

2 Likes

Woke at 249.3 lbs, looking less bloated than yesterday. Surprised, because I thought I ate plenty. Need to up my game