T Nation

MarkKO's Training Log

Yes mate much better, nose still a little runny but otherwise fine. Thanks for asking.

I want to crack a 700 kg total. I should be doing that. I’m very conscious of taking what’s there for my thirds to do this: my seconds don’t quite get me there, so I absolutely must nail my thirds.

I’m also looking towards my October meet where if everything goes to plan I’ll get my first 600 lbs squat and 300 kg deadlift, while bench will be slowly closing in on 350 lbs. The beauty of Greg’s system is that I can still take my lowest thirds in two week’s time and still do all that in October. It makes being patient much easier.

Woke at 257.3 lbs, looking similar to yesterday. Lower back is still tight as, but not quite as shitty as when I went to bed last night.

Woke at 255.7 lbs, looking similar to yesterday. Nutrition and hydration was pretty shit yesterday. Back is almost back to normal though, so that’s a win.

Strong squat session

Woke at 257.9 lbs, looking similar to yesterday. Amazing what better eating and drinking will do.

Back update: it’s almost back to normal but noticeably not enough for me to still be cautious. Definitely not at my normal ROM yet. The tightness has moved down a little and seems localised around the top of my right glute. Ankles have been really tight recently too, courtesy of crouching a ton at work. Stretched them in bed last night simply by pushing my toes away from me and then pulling them up and holding. Made a noticeably positive difference. Apart from that, shit is just sore.

Todays training

Chad Aichs lower back stretch, SuperD shoulder stabilisation thing, band work including Y-raises, hand release pushups

Around this point found out the gym opens late tomorrow so unless I want to miss all family time I’ll have to skip it. That means deadlifting after bench, and a day earlier than I wanted.

Bench press
2x5xbar
5xplate
3x176 lbs
1x220 lbs
4x1x253 lbs

These felt… ok.

Decided to ditch deads. My back isn’t at a place where I want it to be to do any vaguely heavy pulls. Tomorrow it might be, which was also the last day to do them. Any later and it’s pushing too close into meet week.

I’ll just have to leave that last day out and just do the 50 per cent day on Monday.

Pretty sure it was Dave Tate who said you can’t get stronger in a week or two but you sure can get weaker.

Treated myself to two sets of pullups

6 wide overhang
6 wide neutral

The hanging would help my back, ok?

yes indeed, you could try the lazy lifter warm up, I remember you did them a year or more back. I like them a lot.

Woke at 257.1 lbs, looking a little more bloated than yesterday. Back is almost back to normal.

You’ve passed your back stiffness onto me !!

I will forgo any comment.

If your back cramped up while sitting it’s quite likely the quadratus lumborum and/or psoas. I have had problems with those myself. Rolling your QL with a lacrosse ball or other small hard ball (cricket?) should help loosen that up. If you have a massage stick or something like that you can dig into your psoas, it actually works well to do this while rolling the QL. If you don’t have any sort of massage stick you could use the handle of a screwdriver or other similar object, it’s just hard to sustain the pressure with your fingers. You can stretch the psoas too (kneeling hip flexor stretch) but not the QL, that is a bad idea.

Good luck!

This makes a ton of sense given how my hips have been tightening up recently. Thanks @chris_ottawa

I’ll give that stuff a go over the weekend.

Ok, so my back feels normal again. This is good.

It’s also making me second guess not deadlifting yesterday. Which is stupid, so I better stop doing it.

Woke at 256 lbs, looking similar to yesterday.

Woke at 254.6 lbs, looking less bloated than recently. Didn’t eat as much or drink as much as usual, but enough. I think.

Woke at 257.9 lbs, looking pretty similar to yesterday.

How long until the meet now?

Six days. I’m starting to feel vaguely normal again, which is kind of nice. Got some 50 per cent sets later today then rest.

Todays training

McGill big three and air squats

Squat
2x5xbar/60 lbs
5xplate/170 lbs
5x2x281 lbs - didn’t rack the bar between sets, took 15 to 20 second rests. Pretty much to feel ready again. Just like last time my back tweaked the unrack is the only uncomfortable part. It’ll be fine on meet day.

Chad Aichs lower back stretch, SuperD shoulder stabilisation thing, band work including Y-raises

Bench press
2x5xbar
5xplate
5x3x160 lbs - rested 20 to 30 seconds between sets this time

DL, DL bar
2x5xbar
2xplate/154 lbs
1x2 plates/264 lbs
6x1x314 lbs - rested 30 to 60 seconds between sets. Back was absolutely fine.

All up an hour and 15 minutes.

Time to rest and wait for meet day