MarkKO's Training Log

I know that it works that way…
I just can’t understand it.
I thought strength was build mostly in the 80 - 90% range not the 60 - 75% range that you work in.
I am just starting to learn things, that’s why I’m putting my own program together. But as you’ve seen I work up to 90% one day every 4th week.
I’ve been thinking that it could have something to do with the weight it self. Your DL max is beyond 600 pound and mine is well under 400, meaning that a lift at any percentage would be more taxing to you than me.
I mean 90% is 540+ lbs for you and about 330 for me.
So the less experienced or weaker a lifter is the higher % he can handle due to not using as much of the available muscle fibers he has.

3 Likes

@mortdk what Mark is doing makes perfect sense.
Greasing the groove is a great way to perfect the movement, while building fatigue and strength. It’s a tough concept to get ya head around as many people love to nudge the 85-90% range all the time.

3 Likes

@Frank_C @mortdk @I_Luc I think you’re all pretty much spot on.

I think an overlooked element too is that it isn’t in any way an enjoyable system. You see progress twice a year. A fair portion of the time it looks like you’re going backwards and you feel like garbage. Guys like CT and Jim W aren’t stupid, they know that for their systems to sell they can’t just work, they have to be in some way enjoyable. Not everyone is prepared to invest effort for that long without some kind of tangible return. So you get testing cycles, joker sets, etc. They’re completely unnecessary but they’re the cherry on a cake that without it would be too plain for anyone to pick.

All that being said, addressing @mortdk point in particular is that you’d get great results using Greg’s system too. We’ve got people of every level on the team all progressing.

4 Likes

I am, as you know, a Wendler fan boy.

His latest version and the one he believes the most in these days are based on a TM of 85%.
He has you doing 2 cycles that’s about 2 month of what he calls 5’s progression. You’re ONLY doing 5 reps on every main lifts every week.
So on the 5 day you only do 5 reps of 85% of the TM that’s about 70% of the real max and on the last week it’s 5 reps of about 80%.
Then you have on cycle where you do rep maxes this is not testing it’s like your amrap sets sort of. so you go about 3 or 2,5 month and then you have a week were you test your 5 rep max (and not a grindy 5RM, but one with good speed and form) not the 1 rep max. Using that 5RM weight as the TM for the next three cycles.
This is necessary, because otherwise you just add’s weight and everything gets too heavy, this is a build in factor that keeps you using the correct amount of weight all the time, if you get stronger, you’re allowed to use more weight. If you don’t you keep the weight and pound the same weights for another 3 cycles.
Still a lot of us fanboys loves his PR sets each workout. He has said he wish he never introduced the joker sets.

Jim’s mindset is the long term game, contrary to CT or Brian who have these short 6 - 12 week programs, with a peak and a test in the end.

But in the end, I think it’s about being consistent and a bit stubborn over a long period of time.

6 Likes

I think this only works for a competitor. The rest of us are just having fun and trying to look good.

Jim’s program still allows you to test yourself so it’s similar to Brian and CT’s stuff in that regard. I think you could run SGSS back to back all year is you wanted, but I know there are quite a few of CT’s programs that are too intense for that too. He’s an online coach. I think the most common question from people is along the lines of “How can I (insert goal here) in six weeks?” CT writes stuff to appease those people. He’s a big proponent of the psychological side of things so he writes stuff that makes people happy.

1 Like

I think we have to keep things in perspective. A newer lifter needs to move the weight up as strength develops the 50-70% range moves so fast that gains would be lost in the sweet spot for maximizing gains. Later as the stalls begin then working in the zone and hitting test weeks makes more sense. I haven’t tested my lifts since Aug. I’m not sure I’ve even gained anything on my lifts as sporadic as my training has been. Maybe my squat ya moved a little… deadlift egghhh we will see. Bench :joy::joy::joy:. Not sure I could hit 225 right now much less 275.

Woke at 244.3 lbs, a bit more bloated than yesterday. Slept well and long.

1 Like

Woke at 244.3 lbs again, a bit less bloated than yesterday. Played backyard badminton for an hour or so yesterday, thought of @mortdk

3 Likes

You’re learning from the Viking :slight_smile: Well done.
I love it, so much fun

1 Like

Merry Christmas to you and your family Mark. Hope it’s a great one.

3 Likes

Thanks @simo74 and the same to you and yours

Woke at 245.1 lbs, a bit more bloated than yesterday but not by much.

Merry Xmas everyone.

14 Likes

Merry Christmas Mark

2 Likes

Happy Birthday too!

2 Likes

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

2 Likes

Merry Christmas fatty.

3 Likes

Woke at 246.9 lbs, but looking the same as yesterday. Thanks guys. Squatting lager today.

2 Likes

Let me know how it is. I love a lager.

2 Likes

Todays training

McGill big three, reverse hyper and air squats

Squat, walked out
2x5xbar/60 lbs
5xplate/148 lbs
3x2 plates/236 lbs
2x3 plates/325 lbs
4x4x358 lbs out of the mono - belt on, 10 second rests that ended up as 10, 15 and 25. Last break was longer because I started losing feeling all over.

Olympic squats
2x5x358 lbs out of the mono - belt still on

Well, I haven’t strained that much in a long time, both regular and Olympic squats. Plus my quads just plain hurt now. Not pump, not soreness, feels more like they’ve got shards of glass in them.

Banded good mornings
50 reps with red band - done in two sets of 25

Bent over DB rows
10x44 lbs
2x10x25 lbs

Air squats
50 total reps - tried the first 20 or so as Hatfield squats

All up an hour and 15 minutes

6 Likes

Is that bad or what you’re trying to achieve?

2 Likes