MarkKO's Training Log

Had one of those little lightbulb moments yesterday evening.

Some systems are good at getting you better in the gym - 5/3/1, Darkhorse, etc. They’ll usually progress the weights quicker, have you work harder overall, etc.

Some systems are good at getting you better at a specific thing (meet day, strongman comp, etc) - Greg’s system, 5th Set, etc. Weight progression may be a ton slower, when you really bust your backside will vary.

Both get you better overall in the long term.

8 Likes

Got as far as the gym, sat in the car and turned around. Long day at work and I’m tired AF.

I figured because I’ve got the leeway to push back a couple of days what with it being deload next week I may as well save a real grind for when I need it. It’s funny, maybe I’m maturing in this but in this kind of situation or with assistance weights my attitude is now ‘what’s the least I can do to get the desired effect’ as opposed to ‘how hard can I work’.

15 Likes

I know how that feels. I just could t sleep last night after training so have been feeling jet lagged all day.

I’ve been sleeping well but I think I’m still adjusting to the physicality of my new job. I love it, but that doesn’t negate the effect of being physically active for eight to 10 hours a day. I’m already upping my calories a ton and I actually feel better in terms of stiffness etc than I have in a while, so I think it shouldn’t be too long before my energy picks back up.

3 Likes

Remember the body is like a bucket, work, family, stress, training etc all empty the bucket and sleep, food, relaxation, meditation, prehab,etc etc fill it back up again. When your circumstances change it effects the balance. It may take you a little while to work it out, you may need more food, more sleep, better relaxation. I am sure you will get it right soon.

3 Likes

Smart move buddy on the skip day. Grinding too deep takes a long time to recover. The Darkhorse ground me down good I’m 4 weeks away from it and just now feeling “normal”. But I did add going back to work to my stress loads so my recovery suffered more than just the gym. I’m learning the recovery limits now.

4 Likes

I get like this too. On weekends I workout in the morning and sleep like a baby. During the week , I train after work and there’s only like 4 hours until I’m in bed . I always , ALWAYS sleep like shit on this night even though it’s when I need it the most . Makes the following day hell.

3 Likes

Just count it as cardio :wink:
Sounds like the new jobs going well, I find the physicality helps keep body Comp on the better side.

2 Likes

Woke at 238.3 lbs, looking similar to yesterday.

I think that might be counterproductive to Mark’s current goals…

2 Likes

Nah, better body composition is beyyer body composition. If it means I take a bit longer to get to 265ish but get there with more muscle and fewer health risks I can deal with that :joy:

3 Likes

Todays training

Reverse hyper, 45 degree back raises, planks, jumps

DL, stiff bar
5xplate
5x2 plates - belt on, last breaking in session
2x10x341 lbs - moved fast, moved well, still fucking disgusting though.

Rack pulls from mid shin
2x10x341 lbs - not sure how to describe these because I’ve already used disgusting

All mixed grip, grip strength is fried

DL without touching the floor
15x220 lbs

Pendlay rows
3x6x220 lbs

DB chest supported rows
4x10x60 lbs

Military press
12x88 lbs
2x12x100 lbs

DB front raise
2x15x25 lbs

All up an hour and 40 minutes, courtesy of a due chewing my ear off.

Just calisthenics buttfucking day to go and I can deload. Thank fuck.

13 Likes

I think deload is going to do you good Mark.
The last week or two has been a real grind for you my friend.

2 Likes

I really enjoy your liberal use of terms like buttfucking :joy:

I try not to cuss and be vulgar too much because I’m supposed be an adult and all but these are the words that are actually flying around in my head.

9 Likes

adults are easily the worst offenders of vulgarity and profanity, lol.

random emoji.

:3rd_place_medal:

1 Like

I try not to cuss but I fail. Cussing is everywhere in police culture. The problem with cussing in regular conversation is that you can’t turn it off in stressful situations. In non-stressful situations I can turn on my filter and speak intelligently to folks, but when shit hits the fan F bombs go flying everywhere.

I once yelled “Stop the fucking car!” over the radio when I was chasing a couple of juveniles who were wanted for burglary and auto theft. They ran on foot to the stolen car, backed up, and pointed it at me and put it in gear. Things got exciting for a few seconds.

A couple people heard it and gave me crap later. Luckily, no one important (aka the wrong supervisor) heard it or I could’ve got in trouble. I work in a no fun zone sometimes.

6 Likes

As a Navy veteran I can relate to living in a culture of cussing, and how hard it is to turn it off when you get around normal people. It’s especially tough once you’re in a supervisory position in a professional environment. I’ve never had an incident anything like what you just described, fortunately.

3 Likes

I love cussing. Since I was a we lad on the bus and the older kids got a kick out of me cussing them out. Add navy and construction jobs and I’m a lifer on the cussing circuit.

5 Likes

I cuss a lot cause I’m in training to be eminem’s gf

4 Likes

Will Smith don’t have to cuss in his rap to sell records…

5 Likes