MarkKO's Training Log

It’s at the stage that when we go out of the house for an extended period I bring a tub of food just in case. Don’t always end up eating it, but it’s reassuring to know it’s there.

3 Likes

And lift much less weight.

Welcome to living the life man, I remember packing a shake and a meal with me every time I left the house when I was bulking hard

3 Likes

Woke at 224.8 lbs, looking pretty much identical to yesterday. Maybe a little bloated around lower ab, but nothing that stands out. I’m going with salt and being hydrated.

1 Like

Woke at 224.4 lbs, looking the same as yesterday.

1 Like

Back to normal. Feeling somewhat renewed after deload

Today’s training

Leg extensions, GHR sit-ups, lateral and broad jumps

All squats beltless

Squat, mono
5xbar - felt so off it isn’t funny
5xplate/143 lbs - much better
2x2 plates/231 lbs
5x2x302 lbs - meant to be four. I don’t count well
3x302 lbs
5x302 lbs

All sets at 302 lbs with five second rests between sets. Too two minutes and 20 seconds

Paused squat one inch out of the hole
2x5x302 lbs - much, MUCH easier than when I last did this, same weight

Wore my Mattflexes again. Starting to warm to them. They give a much more accurate idea of where my feet are and what they’re doing. Will try them for DL this week. Hopefully they’ll feel good too, so I’ll have one pair of training shoes

Weighted walking lunges
2x10 mx55 lbs each hand

45 degree back raises
50 reps at bodyweight - one set

Lat pulldowns
2x10x154 lbs

Done in and hour and 15 minutes including some chatting between finishing and doing mobility shit

8 Likes

Woke at 224.8 lbs, little bit bloated. That’s salt, mostly, yesterday I ate a bunch more salt. Otherwise looking much the sme.

1 Like

Today’s training

Pull-ups (8, room for 9) and hand release push-ups (8)

Bench press
5xbar
3xplate
2x176 lbs
4x2x209 lbs sort of paused-ish
13x209 lbs - this is cool. Same reps. Extra five pounds

https://www.instagram.com/p/BigX2ncBtfD/

Setup was on point today and bar moved like fucking butter.

Spoto press
3x6x170 lbs

Push-ups
2x20

Bench dips
4x15 - lit up the long head of my triceps like nothing else

Rear delt flyes
12x25 lbs - too light, last time I did them this was a good weight
12x30 lbs - still too light
12x35 lbs - money

Inverted rows
3x10 - rear delts on fire by now

Done in hour and 20 minutes

14 Likes

Woke at 223.7 lbs, looking a little bloated around lower abs but otherwise the same.

2 Likes

Woke at 224.6 lbs, looking the same as yesterday.

Bench form looks great!

Why no spot? You had 1-2 more in you clean. Not pushing past 8RPE?

1 Like

One more, maybe. I reckon it would have been 50/50. I’d have called it 9 RPE if I was measuring. I only get a spotter if I need a handout.

I’m honestly not focused on numbers. My job is to accumulate fatigue and improve technique. If I can beat or match numbers, great. If I can’t I don’t care. So for my main movement I’ll keep going until I figure the next rep will be a shitshow if it’s a max set. Otherwise I just do the reps as set out.

5 Likes

It has taken me this long to figure out why panora always tags and wears ‘fifth set’ :joy: I’m sure there’s more to it but basically four technique sets and a then push for reps and fatigue on fifth set?

2 Likes

Yes and no @kleinhound

I guess the ‘trademark’ of 5th Set is the five doubles and a max set, but we only ever really do that once every couple of weeks or so for each lift, and I’m pretty sure never for more than one lift in a week.

Generally a week will look like

A lift for light load, many sets for various reps, really short rests
A lift for that 5th set
A lift at heavier loads for a few sets of lower reps
Assistance day either full body or bench focused with two sets of 20-25 of a full ROM bench variation

Every main day you do one or two supplemental exercises, which Swede calls Muscularly Similar Movements (MSMs), followed by a bunch of assistance work (usually more for upper body) which is basically bodybuilding. You do some kind of row almost every day.

6 Likes

Today’s training

45 degree back raises, GHR sit-ups, box jumps

Deadlift, stiff bar
5xplate
3x2 plates
2x3 plates

Belt goes on, switch to mixed grip

1x363 lbs
4x1x423 lbs
2x5x423 lbs

Work sets took 11 minutes. Didn’t quite get the jump cue right until the last two sets

Tried out the Mattflexes. They’re good, so that’s one pair of shoes for everything. Win.

SGDL
3x308 lbs
3x6x341 lbs

We’ve been cleared to use straps for supplemental lifts. Thank fuck. Instructions were to slowly work up to a moderately difficult weight. I went more with the moderate part than the difficult, but last two reps on each set were definitely work even if they were fast.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bik9M7lh9fo/

DB split squats
3x10x55 lbs

DB rows
4x12x120 lbs

Air squats
50 reps, used the squat bar. Didn’t feel different to no bar really, just more realistic position.

Including some chatting took an hour and 45 minutes.

9 Likes

Goddamn Mark you’re a beast.
Awesome workout.

Next time “used the squat bar and put on a couple af plates”

It’s going to be fun to see what all that work puts to your numbers. You don’t ever comes close to a max lift do you?

1 Like

@mortdk :joy:

Some of the guys had tried it so I gave it a shot. It feels more like practice with the bar, which is cool. Doesn’t feel different to bodyweight in respect to weight.

No, not in training. We do when we peak, and I’m excited AF for that. That’s after this cycle. Volume drops hugely (by maybe half or more), I think we drop to three days a week after two weeks too.

I feel stronger, though. Because we aim to hit a small PR in week two, I already know within 2.5 lbs what I’m going to aim for, which is in the region of 517/280/561. Meet numbers should be 2-5% higher than that. I know it sounds too predictable, but Greg’s been at this for two decades and every week we have people on the team doing just that.

5 Likes

Really looking forward to it, been tagging along for a long time now, it’s been quite a journey.

1 Like

Woke at 224.6 lbs, but looking less bloated.

1 Like

Today’s training

Leg extensions, GHR sit-ups and broad jumps

Front squat
Worked up to 6x264 lbs - no more there today, fatigue is pretty high

DB goblet squat
4x10x115 lbs

45 degree back raises
4x10 at bodyweight

BB rows
3x10x198 lbs - that’s a weight that’s easily manageable now

DB rows
2x20x110 lbs

Lying leg raises
50 total reps: 25, 25 - turns out holding a racked EZ bar makes this waaaaaay nicer on my elbows

8 Likes