MarkKO's Training Log

Where’d you come up with your optimal rate of gain? Everything says non-newbs can gain 0.5-1.0 lbs of muscle per month. I just wish I knew what that meant in terms of total weight gain.

More muscle can hold more glycogen so I assume one would gain more than a pound on the scale. I just don’t know how much.

The ether :joy:

It just seems like a reasonable amount to gain. I’d heard that half a pound to a pound of muscle per month floating around, and figured a pound or so a week on average was a good number to shoot for.

For what it’s worth I’ve noticed since I hit 217 lbs or so that it took a fair bit of extra food to move to 220 lbs, as opposed to before when any slight increase was reflected on the scale.

Right now I’m just keeping my eyes on 264 lbs and reminding myself that when I get there I won’t be ripped. This is something I keep looking at to help

6 Likes

Holy cow that is impressive…

That’s a really cool post by @Paul_Carter, now keep on bulking Mark :joy:

2 Likes

This is how I feel right now.

1 Like

hahahaha made me LOL right here all alone… eating a chocolate bar :slight_smile:
But great post by paul Carter.
I need to eat more. I’ll restrain my self a bit until after summer then BULK

1 Like

There was actually a study on how much added glycogen storage comes with added muscle, it concluded that for every gram of muscle you get 0.4 grams of glycogen. No we have to remember that with 1 gram of glycogen 2.7 grams of water bind as well, so adding 0.5-1 pounds of muscle would equal to a grand total of 1.2-2.4 pounds of total weight gained (per month)

4 Likes

Jeez mate, you gotta ease up on the good info and suggestions, you are making people look bad (namely me)! Haha Just keep in mind you have a pt client in Aus if you ever find your way over here!

2 Likes

So around half my added gain per month should be attributable muscle. That’s still kind of ok. Actually, it’s better than I expected.

1 Like

The goal is to get every Australian on here to say the same and then move down there myself :wink:

Visiting Australia would be cool, sadly it’s really expensive when the trip begins quite literally from the other side of the world

Pretty much yeah, but given individual differences, it could be you’ve been gaining a bit more or a bit less lean mass than an average guy with the same experience level would, so it could be 60% lean mass and 40% fat or the other way around.

But that doesn’t really matter. You’ve made heaps of progress, and that is what matters.

3 Likes

Thank you.

Also, thankfully, that’s where my mindset is at too.

1 Like

Finally! I tried searching Google for that but I found nothing. Thanks!

3 Likes

Woke at 222.9 lbs, looking a little dryer. Had a couple of beers last night, so dehydration I guess? It’s funny, because the scale is going up I automatically think I look fat, but then I look in the mirror and there’s not a ton of difference. Maybe some on the hips but that’s about it.

3 Likes

Took these after breakfast this morning

2 Likes

Who did you eat :wink:

2 Likes

Still looking good Mark. Really amazing.

1 Like

Woke at 222.9 lbs, looking a bit less bloated.

@simo74 whoever I could catch

@mortdk thanks

2 Likes

Back, chest and arms showing considerable gains!

1 Like

One would hope, because spare tyre is as well :joy:

Jokes, I’m OK with the ratio so far. Forty-odd pounds to go.

2 Likes

Holy sheet