MarkKO's Training Log

That was an easy list to complete. Added in some sushi as well, just for good measure.

1 Like

Take care Mark.
Hope it’s just the sleep.

Have you considered that you might be in an overtraining/reaching state for the past couple of weeks.
I don’t train that much now a days, but back when I did my racing, I trained to much, couldn’t recover, I did my training (too much) and all, and didn’t do that bad in the races, but I was a pain in the A***, couldn’t sleep, and was really wtf is going on.
Took a very very light week as I remember I only took the bike out for 1-2 hours spin in the middle of the week. Happened about once a year or so.

Training was going well, races were good, fast and really draining. I would go from 2 hard intense trainingdays to 3 and almost the fourth did pick up too.
So take a look at your diary and how hard, intense, volume, compared to when you felt great.
My sleep is the first to be affected, then comes the temper and bad attitude.

Damn I’m rambling… again. Sorry… Take care Mark, you know, what you’re doing.

2 Likes

I did consider overtraining @mortdk but it just doesn’t seem to fit the bill. Performance is the one thing that hasn’t taken a hit - it’s improving constantly. I think it’s just lack of sleep, possibly I wasn’t eating quite enough as well. Maybe some overreaching in there as well, but that’s about it.

2 Likes

Overreaching is what I think happened to me. I didn’t really know that much about training.
I did kind of well in both training and racing. At that point that was all that mattered. Didn’t care about wife and kid just training and racing. I think I had a really bad training og race, before my brain realized what the body tried to tell me.
So yeah a good days sleep, a bit more food could do the trick. As a racer I had to look at my food.
I was just under 68 kg - 150 lbs at 183 cm - 6 feet. Lets just say I wasn’t humongous.

4 Likes

Woke at 216.7 lbs, looking much the same as yesterday. Also feeling normal again. Win. Today will be another relaxed day, which will only help matters.

4 Likes

I’ve been scrolling through, looking for these Deadlift Cues, but I think I went back too far, to some squat cues. I think I remember

Jump through the heels

Squeeze oranges in arm pits

Am I missing some?

2 Likes

my favorite cue: “truly believe you are a god” … generic tho, applies to everything.

;d

1 Like

Not really @FlatsFarmer

The way Greg puts it, which is what made a huge difference to me, is three steps:

Grip bar, squeeze oranges in the armpits
Straighten legs and take air, brace
Jump into the pull

1 Like

The “jump” is that a slow’ish deliberate decent building tension, and when in the “jump” position, you pull hard.
OR is it as if you really wanted to jump, A very quick explosive decent then an explosive jerk or yank. I mean that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Woke at 217.6 lbs, little bit of lower ab bloating but otherwise looking the same as the last few days. Also feeling a fuckton better, and that’s with being woken up by the hound at 0200 and not really going back to sleep.

@mortdk it’s more of the first. Just watch how I set up these days.

3 Likes

Yeah I thought so. I’m trying to do that. But often end up a bit longer settling for the pull, rather than get the tension and then pull hard, almost as a stretch reflex

Yay! Smiling Mark!!!

1 Like

I don’t think that’s an issue. I take the time to make sure I’m tight and braced before pulling.

Today’s training

Leg extensions, back raises, GHR sit-ups, broad jumps (I think I’m getting better at these)

Squat, mono
5xbar
5xplate/143 lbs
3x2 plates/231 lbs
1x286 lbs, open belt
4x2x335 lbs, open belt
12x335 lbs, open belt - didn’t run out of gas, just slowed right down so called it

Front squat
3x6x242 lbs - I swear these are getting easier and easier

DB goblet squat
2x12x100 lbs - I’ll have to add weight to these at some point

45 degree back raise
3x20 at bodyweight

Lat pulldowns
4x10x143 lbs

Done in an hour and 25 minutes

7 Likes

Woke at 215 lbs, bloat gone. WTF?! Could it be dehydration? That’s all I’ve got, except I drank my normal amount yesterday and it wasn’t particularly hot.

3 Likes

Got hungry AF half way through work, canteen had some amazing caraway seeded bread BBQ lamb versions of a Reuben. Could have happily had about three.

Today’s training

Pull-ups and hand release push-ups (7 and ?)

Bench press
5xbar
5x88 lbs
5x132 lbs
3x176 lbs
1x203 lbs
3x1x231 lbs - unrack and descent felt markedly heavier than anything I’ve had in my hands in a while, the actual press not so much. Last single felt best

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgiGSQoFOBB/

DB flys
12x30 lbs - too light but tight spot at left pec insertion
12x35 lbs - too light, still tight
12x40 lbs - still too light, probably, but less tight
12x45 lbs - just right, tightness almost gone

Push-ups
50 total reps: 20, 15, 15

Pretty obnoxious chest pump

DB tricep extensions
2x12x25 lbs
2x12x20 lbs - because 25 lbs would have become some weird kind of press

DB rows
2x15x100 lbs - strict AF again

So fucking ready to deload

9 Likes

So…you ate halfway through the workout? Next. Level. Powerlifting.

7 Likes

Drool

1 Like

That sammiewhich though…sounds amazing

1 Like

Woke at ? because scale is low on batteries. Looking a bit softer than yesterday, but not much. Not particularly bloated or anything though.

@Despade I should clarify that I ate at work, not during training. That probably wouldn’t have ended well.

@losthog yes, it was. Top three sandwiches I’ve ever eaten for sure.

3 Likes