MarkKO's Training Log

It’s just not a good exercise to go into cold. An exercise like pec deck or cable flyes is a much better choice as the maximum tension is at the top of the movement, not the bottom. Try not to go too far into the stretch when pre-exhausting chest (pec deck is the best choice IMO).

3 Likes

Yes, I think that’s what I’ll do.

1 Like

Just do Push-ups! I consider bodyweight stuff a warm-up even if I can’t do more than 15 reps in a row (talking about my Pull-ups) :grin:

2 Likes

Nothing pumps the pecs like pushups IME. I swear, 3x10 and I go up a full cup size.

1 Like

Double D?

4 Likes

B, unfortunately. Skinny guy problems.

2 Likes

I’ve always heard (unconfirmed) stories about push-ups being a great chest builder. My dad claims that he and his buddy used to do repeat sets of 50 reps. I must just be a sissy because I don’t see myself ever doing that. I think I’m good for about 35 and then 10-20 at a time after a minute rest.

1 Like

Probably…is just that push ups are awkward to load and progress. The movement itself is gold.

3 Likes

I had considered push-ups too. Probably will end up trying both.

1 Like

Also, figured out DL for meet prep.

6 Likes

Woah there

10 Likes

Today’s training

Leg extension a bunch at 55 lbs

Front squat
3xbar, Frankenstein
3x132 lbs, Frankenstein
3x220 lbs, Frankenstein
10x4x308 lbs, 6, 6 RPE (clean grip), 6, 7, 7-8 RPE (Frankenstein), unracked and almost passed out, reset and 8 RPE (clean grip reps one and two, switched to Frankenstein for the last two), 8-9, 8, 9 RPE (Frankenstein) - work sets completed in 15 minutes

Sixth set

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcG8zLlhLFb/

I’m unashamedly pleased with this

Conventional DL, stiff bar, beltless
10x132 lbs, hook grip
8x220 lbs, hook grip
3x10x308 lbs, first set hook grip and then straps - felt stupidly light again. Next week sumo, then no more DL off the floor for another six to eight weeks

First set

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcG-mXuh10U/

Massive hook grip rep PR at any weight, and this is the bar that normally trashes my thumbs. More good stuff.

Leg extensions supersetted with rope STBs
Leg extensions 3x25x66 lbs - holy hell
STBs 3, 5, 5 - lol grip

Done in an hour and 25 minutes

9 Likes

Are your thumbs ok?

1 Like

Never better. I’m shocked. I think it’s the DB rows with hook grip letting my things acclimate.

1 Like

This…this is a great idea, never would have thought about it, gah! This is why they pay you the big bucks, huh?!

4 Likes

Careful you’ll soon be hook gripping everything without realising it. Mostly it just increases your ability to one trip groceries but that’s still pretty handy

3 Likes

A buddy of mine dabbled with Crossfit for a bit and when we were benching a few months ago I noticed him hook gripping…

So, like any good friend, I questioned his sanity; “It’s habit now, if my hand is on the bar, it’s hook gripping”. That is surely one way to get comfortable with it!

2 Likes

Golf club: Hook grip
Fork: Hook grip
Handlebars: Hook grip
Toothbrush: Hook grip
Coffe mug: Hook grip
:white_check_mark:

8 Likes

Woke at 203 lbs, looking pretty good. Feeling some DOMS in my pecs, traps, quads and lower back.

1 Like

It was kind of accidental too. I was doing DB rows and didn’t want to use straps, but was having a hard time with my grip to I thought I’d have a crack with hook.

1 Like