MarkKO's Training Log

Yes and no. I want to get to the point where I use bigger weights for the reps I’m doing now (so two plates for flat and incline bench, four for squat, five for DL). Then I’ll know I’m good for properly heavy loads for singles.

4 Likes

Hmm been curious about the strange bench to other lifts ratio for a while. Pls explain

1 Like

@khangles I don’t actually know for sure. My technique isn’t particularly off (on a par with squat and DL I think), I’m leaning towards weak pecs and triceps, and it doesn’t help that they’re small as well. All my training prior to PL was heavy on legs, minimal on upper body pushing it pulling too.

I wish I could pinpoint exactly why my bench is weak, because then I could fix it.

2 Likes

One reason could be that you lost bodyweight.
I know (or should I say read) that put on bodyweight and the BP will raise. loose weight and the BP will suffer.

For me that’s true. (and all my lifts kind of sucks).

But that ratio is kind of odd. But still better than if the lower lifts where on par with the BP :slight_smile:

If you programmed via block periodization, and made each a very difficult phase to go through (endurance, strength, power and cardio all accounted for), then you can definitely eat at peace after each block.

I ate like a pig after barely surviving my breaking-in and still maintained at 58.0KG, a 4kg reduction from previous weight class. The key here is to time your macros; train sufficiently hard to the point your body rejects calories and favours sleep for recovery, then when you’re slacking and off-season, eat.

You are currently making each workout a RPE 7-8, but what you can do is to go 9-9-9, then 7-7-7, then 9-9-9 again for 4 weeks before re-feeding. Guaranteed success bro.

2 Likes

It’s time for me to bulk by the way. The gains are ripe for plucking. I have consistently remained at 58.0 and now if I overfeed, I will be flooded with nutrients that will go to my allotted energy stores instead of fat deposits, making it a bountiful harvest.

1 Like

This is my guess. You’ve got loads of strength on me in terms of weight on the bar for everything but bench. I noticed when you posted measurements that I’ve got you by almost 2 inches on arms (40 to 35 cm) and close to that on chest (113 to 111 cm). I’m sure it’s not the only factor (tendon attachments and stuff) but it’s one factor.

Don’t feel bad though. I’m pretty much all show and no go whereas you’re mostly go and working on the show :wink:

I think it’s easier to develop a look versus developing strength.

2 Likes

Woke at 200.4 lbs looking pretty decent (same as yesterday morning basically), so yesterday’s hissy fit was for nothing. Slight lower ab bloating, sure, but I did eat a buttload of veggies yesterday.

@Frank_C you’re probably right about the arms and chest being what’s holding my bench back. So hopefully adding some more size there will transfer…

Nutted up and went for a run. I’ve been meaning to see if I could even last a mile for some time now as I’ve done no conditioning of any kind for I don’t know how long (three months at least, probably more) and I’m heavier.

Last time I ran a mile was here, 1.04 miles in seven minutes and 17 seconds

So I was right at the end of my diet and around 15 lbs lighter, doing conditioning twice a week.

I had the route all planned out on my hand again, but took a wrong turn and ended up with this:

1.08 miles in seven minutes and 21 seconds

A bit slower, snail’s pace compared to @adarqui @IronOne and @Frank_C but I’ll still take it. Hell, I’d have taken anything under eight minutes. Again, really glad I can control my breathing or I’d have been screwed.

10 Likes

You’re still smoking’ me! I think I ran between 8:30 and 8:40 last time and I hated every second of it. My intervals are designed to bring my time down. I’d like to be at 8 or below and then maintain that. It’s not fast by a racer’s standards but I think it’s solid for an average guy who hates running.

3 Likes

That’s really nice work man!

For clarification, you said “Hell, I’d have taken anything under eight minutes” but you did 1.08 miles in 7:21, that’s close to sub 7. So, confused by that, unless you meant you’re just happy to have gotten anything under 8. Hitting sub 7 without much running at all and a considerably higher bodyweight, is great stuff.

1.04 miles: 7:17:

1.08 miles: 7:21:

You’re faster now :smiley:

That calculator makes various predictions, but it’s pretty decent, I use it alot.

Also for fun, here’s how fast the estimates are for that guy who won the local prize money 10k I went to the other day, flying.

:smiley:

peace!!

2 Likes

FWIW, one thing i’ve noticed, is how many incredibly fast people hate running as well. It’s something I think people don’t realize - not saying you don’t, just in general. It seems a fairly large percentage of elites (extremely fast people) have a love hate relationship with it. They may hate running completely, or just hate track/speed work, or hate long runs, etc, but just love competing and winning etc. So it’s just interesting to me how elite middle to long distance runners can actually “hate the activity they do”, but love the competition of it & the results. Which is very different than most sports / competitions when you think about it.

Running is just very brutal, IMHO because of what happens inside your mind. The quit voices are especially brutal to me. But one thing i’ve realized is, for the most part, that quit voice is kind of a necessary evil and a signal that you are pushing your limits. Sometimes I say things like, “welcome to the party” when I start getting the quit thoughts, ie to basically indicate to my conscious/subconscious that, now the party is starting. Because without the quit voice, you’re comfortable. And if you’re pushing yourself, this evil little gnome in your brain which was on the couch basically, gets off the couch and is smashing a sledge hammer against your grey matter. So once he’s “knocking at the door”, that means the fun (torture) has started. lmao.

Also, I find extremely slow running very beneficial and enjoyable. For me that’s 9:XX-12:XX pace. I can just totally relax, have nice thoughts, view what’s going on around me, get into “deep thought” and such. Speed work and hard tempo work etc, are very brutal to me.

With the hard stuff, at some point you become almost too tired to think about quitting. Until you finally are done. That’s one cool thing i’ve noticed. It’s that initial phase where the “hey bro wtf are you doing, stop” kicks in, which is the worst. hah.

EDIT: We get those quit voices with all kinds of intense training, obviously. Running seems to be especially brutal from my experience. I’ve done heavy 10x10’s on squat, 100 db walking lunges in a row, heavy high rep breathing squat sessions, high volume jump rope, boxing, dunking, basketball, etc, but running to me has been the most challenging in terms of the mental battle. Boxing comes in second, just because it’s easier to get seriously hurt - but there are breaks between rounds and you can stall (hold/dance) during the bout. With competitive running, it’s just non stop you vs your brain.

That’s one thing these Robertson (Zane and Jake) brothers seem to be mastering, the mental side of running competition. These guys are mentally lethal. It’s crazy how you can think of running (non-stop endurance sport) as “your brain vs your body”. Sorry, tangents everywhere. 8|

peace!!

5 Likes

Yes, I meant I’d have been happy with anything under eight. Close to seven (well, close-ish) is awesome.

Thanks guys!

2 Likes

I love and hate 1 mile time trials. @adarqui is right about those voices man…they kick in for me right around 800m and start telling me my legs are toast and there’s no more speed in me and just to quit. But I’m determined to get under 6:00 before I’m 30, for no other reason than ego haha.
Friendly race? You get under 7 and I’ll get under 6? We’re both about same distance away

3 Likes

As long as I don’t have to do any running for it, sure :joy:

3 Likes

We’ll call it a draw haha

1 Like

Yes, the voice is strong in me. My wife ran a 5k Thursday and finished at a 6:25 pace. She kills me AND she enjoys it.

I compare my running to riding a horse. If I go slow then it’s painful and rough. I’m also not really in good enough shape to go fast enough for it to be smooth.

1 Like

Impressive! Your training clearly has a conditioning effect and you’ve maintained well!

I absolutely love track/outdoor running. It provides me a break from the gym, and some time outdoors. At this point, it’s close to as important as the iron in what it does for me physically and mentally. Once I get done running, I usually hit the field for core/stretching/PT work. It has become a real training session.

You’re not going to turn into a runner now are you Mr. Closet Bodybuilder :wink:

3 Likes

Agree 100%.

It comes down to high intensity and high duration (relatively speaking). It’s just a brutal combo that if you’re truly pushing yourself, running cannot be matched.

During my 2 Mile PR attempt last week, as I rounded lap 6, my mind said stop. I was running a little faster than I need to, and was clearly hurting. But capturing that PR was more important. I told my self just 2 more laps, and kept my pace. It’s always worth it too haha.

1 Like