MarkKO's Training Log

Do you ever get trap knots or knots in other muscles? You have something that is keeping shit tight. Likely one of the following: traps, long head of tricep, lats, pecs, or limited t-spine (you don’t seem to arch the fuck out of your back so probably not the last, though that could always use more mobility, who doesn’t want to arch their back harder on the bench). You could get some reciprocal massaging going on with your future Mrs KO if you aren’t already.

Ladies (depends obviously) love massages, muscles love massages, win-win.

1 Like

Traps, maybe lats. There’s a knot under my right shoulderblade that reappears periodically (has done for years) and I also get very, very tight traps for an day or so post DL sometimes.

I get what you’re saying: my shoulder mobility isn’t as good as I think it is and I need to tread carefully before I get hurt or injured - including doing something to improve that mobility. I promise you I will be careful, and I appreciate the concern. At the first hint that BTN press is doing something bad, it goes and I’ll replace it with military press.

At the moment, everything feels good. Rear delts feel like they’ve worked for the first time in ages but there’s no shoulder discomfort. Getting under the bar for squats yesterday was fine too. This is a hopeful indicator, as incline press staryed niggles within about a session.

In three weeks when I star BTN weekly, I’ll be working in the eight to 10 rep range, so my starting weight will be something like 110 lbs, maybe even just 100 lbs.

4 Likes

OK, attempts. It’s that time.

My goal is to improve on my 1320 lbs total at 181 lbs, and given how I’m feeling I’m going to do things a tiny bit differently this time around: I’ll only plan on taking all three attempts for squats, while for bench and DL I’ll plan on taking two and then only taking a third if either I feel like I can add another five to 10 pounda easily OR I need another crack at my second (which I think is highly unlikely, but failing to plan is planning to fail amirite?).

Squat
445 lbs
479 lbs
511 lbs

Bench press
253 lbs
269 lbs
If 269 lbs moves easily, I’ll take 275 lbs

Deadlift
500 lbs, probably semi sumo
544 lbs, probably sumo
If 544 lbs moves easily I’ll take 556 lbs

That will give me a 1325 lbs total if I leave bench and DL at my second attempt. Obviously I’ll be flexible, and if the day is terrible I’ll take a slightly lighter third squat and then definitely take those third bench and DL attempts with possible tweaks to the first and second to allow for that but that’s worst case scenario.

8 Likes

Wow I sneezed and missed 70 posts on this thread, lucky I still saw your lifts on insta. When is the comp Mark?

3 Likes

I’m prolific, aka I talk a lot (of shit, too). Comp is 22 October so a couple of weeks out.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with a bit of verbal diarrhoea mate. It’s actually interesting to read people who train a bit more often that me. Gives me ideas of what I might do when the kids are older and I get more leave passes off the misses!

2 Likes

I understand passing on a 3rd Squat or Bench attempt but why pass on the 3rd DL? Empty the tank!!!

1 Like

My logic is that I’ll be fresh for squats. When DL comes round I’ll be tired - and depending how squats go, my back may be VERY tired. I’ll absolutely go for a third pull if I’m confident I’ll get it. If I’m doubtful, why risk it?

1 Like

Just curious about why the planned stance swap on DL attempts, why’s that?

1 Like

Rational Mark knows to go for progress, and take a PR. It’s not your last meet.

Showman Mark wouldn’t disappoint the crowd by passing a 3rd deadlift!

6 Likes

Semi sumo works very well for me to to around the 510 lbs mark, plus sumo can irritate my knees so I want to be sparing with how I use it.

1 Like

You may be right. But I’ll only take a third pull if I know I’ll get it. If I’m unsure, no way.

1 Like

Woke at 193.2 lbs, everything looking back to normal (obliques included).

2 Likes

Woke at 193.4 lbs. Looking decent.

Was going to train today but when my alarm went off decided to give my body a break. My lower back and quads have been sore for about a week now, maybe longer. All I was going to do waa some box squats, since I’m not deadlifting till meet day so I figured a couple extra hours sleep and an extra day recovery would probably do me good.

EDIT no fucking wonder I’m feeling a tad beat up: it only just now occurred to me that last week I hit a heavy DL Monday, heavy bench Tuesday and heavy squat Friday - and by heavy I mean loads I haven’t touched since last meet.

8 Likes

With all the planing you do mark I would have expected you to notice that a bit earlier !!! Sounds like a rest was a great idea though.

1 Like

You will take the third attempt. You, me and krom all know this to be true.

4 Likes

Woke at 195.4 lbs, looking a tiny bit soft - but I had a carb feed with dinner so end of day PCF looked around 205/460/105 grams. Whether or not it’s related I feel a ton better today, and getting out of bed was much easier this morning.

2 Likes

Trying out my headphones today, to make me feel better about being moderately antisocial (it’s part of my mass phase plan to get in and out quick not to talk to people and what better way to give off a leave me alone vibe without scowling at everyone than a pair of headphones?). Felt weird at first but got used to them quickly. Also, Spotify is pretty awesome.

Today’s training

Lazy lifter plus shoulders

Definitely creaky despite feeling better

CGBP

TM is 236 lbs

Work up from bar in 22 lbs x3-5 to 60%, 1-5 pull-up ladder between sets (mostly wide grip overhand) - fourth set rolled out of my hand at touch for no good reason, tweaked my left thumb a bit.

Work sets all supersetted with 5-1 pull-up ladder, some wide overhand false grip, some medium width neutral

3x165 lbs, under 6 RPE
3x187 lbs, under 6 RPE
1x214 lbs, under 6 RPE
5x236 lbs, 10 RPE - did not expect this and I’m really quite pleased. Pretty sure that’s a rep PR. Nice little surprise there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaClwIHhYXV/

13x165 lbs, 8 RPE - seems 13 is consistently around where I can get to after my top set with 70% of my TM.

Seems like as soon as I get any kind of extra blood flow in my arms my cuffs get painfully tight. Maybe my arms grew?

DB bench supersetted with DB rows
Bench 3x8x85 lbs, 8, 8-9 and 9 RPE - I’d planned on 10s but these felt good
Rows 3x10x125 lbs - straps and false grip and had plenty of room for extras on each set

Dead stop hammer curls off thighs 3x9 RPEx25 lbs
DB tricep rollovers 3x9 RPEx25 lbs

Another rest tomorrow, then last heavy squats Thursday and last heavy bench Friday.

11 Likes

you do it right. Headphones from my perspective is the best way to avoid not expect talk with people during workout session.

1 Like

Woke at 194.9 lbs. Looking decent. Definitely need a shave too, because it’s getting to the stage where it’s harder to see changes.

3 Likes