MarkKO's Training Log

Yeah that’s true

Give or take this is what today looked like macro wise

4 Likes

I find this happens at the supermarket too,
people always assume I have kids(I don’t) because I’m buying more food than is considered normal.

5 Likes

I wanted to ask a while back if you knew bench babe but thought Australia is quite but it seems it’s quite small.

@hugh_gilly we train at the same gym :joy:

2 Likes

Woke at 194.9 lbs, which I expected. Looking pretty damn good though, which I’d only hoped for. Slight distension around lower abs but no softneas I could see.

3 Likes

Your carb consumption is unreal! (I don’t know, maybe I’m a little jealous??)

How in the F do you eat 500g carbs on the regular? I pull that off occasionally…

…when I CLIMB A MOUNTAIN.

And even then, I’ve got a timer going off every 20 mins to remind me to eat!

How many days/wk are you rocking the 500g?

2 Likes

I’m trying to do it once a week, or at any rate with about seven days in between. Over the last week or so I’ve done it
23/09
29/09
02/10 - which was an extra, really.

I won’t do another one until Wednesday next week, then hold off until after weighing in on Saturday the week after.

Physique-wise there’s been no noticeable negative impact and my scale weight has stayed within the margins I’d expect except for this morning which was around two pounds higher, which I expected. What will be interesting will be where my scale weight sits tomorrow.

I’m not sure as to the how, it just seems I deal with carbs quite well (fats, not at all. Even a bit above my requirement and I feel horrible). I’m also trying to find what my limit is in terms of how much I can push things without seeing a negative impact, which does entail occasionally doing something I’d ordinarily see as ‘wrong’.

The actual consumption part is easy AF. I’ll happily go through 150 grams of carbs in one sitting of a normal high carb meal. On any given day I’ll have two meals like that: either breakfast and dinner on rest days or just before and just after training. On a day like yesterday I’ll just have another meal with 150-200 grams of carbs on top of all that.

Even when I was cutting I found 300 grams of carbs per day my sweet spot. For me it’s more important to limit fat. Below 50 grams is too low for me, but above 100 grams is way too much. Around 75 grams seems ideal. On an extra eating day I can push it to 100 grams, but any higher and I feel shitty.

1 Like

Hmmm interesting, i find the same as well. High Carbs make me feel great.

1 Like

OK, had a couple of useful thoughts re: 2018 training

• first two cycles all raw
  • TMs nice and low (396/220/440 I think are good starters)
  • aim for TMx10 by week three for all lifts
  • add volume with the backoff sets
  • lazy lifter plus shoulders for warming up again

Specifics

Squat

• TM 396 lbs
  • backoff 3x8, narrow stance
  • DL variation 3x10
  • back raises probably
  • abs

Bench one

• TM 220 lbs
  • comp bench with pull aparts between warmup
  • backoff close grip 3x8
  • press variation 3x10
  • BB rows as usual, I’ll know what load when I get there, followed by lat pulldowns, probably with rope
  • arms

DL

• TM is 440 lbs
  • main sets conventional, pull-ups between warm-ups
  • backoff sets 3x5 deficit sumo using 35s
  • low box squat 3x10 or 5x5
  • back raises or reverse hyper
  • abs

Bench two

• TM 220 lbs
  • comp bench again to bring it back up, pull aparts between warmup
  • backoff close grip 3x8
  • probably DB bench, possibly incline
  • DB rows most probably, followed by pull-ups
  • shoulders

That’ll get me back into the swing of the comp lifts in what I’m guessing will be a fairly brutal six weeks, although I’ll hopefully have a bit more muscle to move things with. After that I’ll start adding in gear again in the usual cycle on/cycle off for around four cycles which would take me 18 weeks into 2018, or around mid April. This, assuming I have a meet mid 2018 (anywhere between June and August), would leave me eight to 16 weeks to actually have a concerted prep phase, but would also give me the leeway to have one or two more geared cycles if I felt that would be beneficial.

9 Likes

Today’s training

Lazy lifter plus shoulders

Bench press

TM is 236 lbs but I’m ignoring that today

Short of time, so supsersetted warmup sets with strict BB rows

5xbar/10xbar
5x66 lbs/10x132 lbs
4x88 lbs/8x187 lbs
3x110 lbs/8x187 lbs
3x132 lbs/8x187 lbs

Rows were hard in that my back was tired, but no issues being strict. Bonus of all this was my lats felt amazing while benching.

3x154 lbs, under 6 RPE
2x176 lbs, under 6 RPE
1x198 lbs, under 6 RPE
1x220 lbs, 6 RPE
1x242 lbs, 6-7 RPE
3x1x264 lbs, all 9 RPE - after the first realised I’ve been slipping into the habit of lowering the bar too slowly (thanks F6) so made a concerted effort to bring the bar down harder, but still pause. Made a big positive difference

Press supersetted with rope lat pulldowns
Press 1x7x137 lbs, 8 RPE cleaned to press, wider grip due to the clean which was really easy (bar was loaded on the floor), 1x7x137 lbs, 8 RPE normal grip, 1x6x137 lbs, 9 RPE
Pulldowns 3x12x110 lbs - this is my ideal working weight right now. Heavy enough to be work, light enough to be controlled. Amazing lat pump

Seated hammer curls 3x9 RPEx25 lbs, short rests

DB tricep rollovers 3x9 RPEx25 lbs, short rests - first set getting easier, sets two and three not so much. Note to self: do not drop head of dumbbell onto eyebrow, this does not enhance performance

8 Likes

What are these rollovers? Sounds a lot like skull crushers…especially since you nearly did that.

2 Likes

@Frank_C pretty much this

Exercise Demo: Dumbbell Rollovers - YouTube

3 Likes

Woke at 194.5 lbs, looking decent.

3 Likes

interesting exercise
i will try this one as a bonus to benching session.

1 Like

Interesting. You could also reverse it and do negatives with weight that’s too heavy to do the extension part.

3 Likes

Possibly, although I find the concentric the hard part.

2 Likes

Another word for them are DB roll back extensions. They were popular when equipped benching was more common (westside/Dave Tate/Brandon Lilly recommended and did the fuck out of them), and the barbell version is something I like to do when I want to go retardedly heavy. Like when I did either 165 or 185 for reps (probably the first and failed the second) to piss off my friend because that was how much he benched

1 Like

It will probably help you more that way since you’re a power lifter. I’m looking at the exercise through my current bulking perspective.

I also realized that an over loaded eccentric might not be good for the elbows.

1 Like

Woke at 195.1 lbs but looking tight, no bloating or anything. Go figure.

2 Likes