MarkKO's Training Log

Did NOT want to go in today - one of those rare days. This last block of seven or so days has had a definite feel of just keeping my head down and pushing through more than anything. It’s been a combination of stomach bug, recovering from that and at the same time having a fairly epic run of poor sleep.

Essentially, that means I’ve got next week and the week after to get things more right than not. That’s still achievable, but it does mean I’m going to play things super, super conservative and just aim for five pounds on each of my third attempts. The only scenario where that changes is if it becomes obvious that won’t happen for DL, in which case I’ll push the squat but I’m inclined to think that this week’s subpar performance was just an aberration.

I’ll be honest, I just want this meet out of the way so I can get stuck into my mass phase.

Today’s training

Fuck warming up. Fuck even changing into my Romaleos.

Strict BB rows supersetted with bench press
10xbar/3xbar
10x132 lbs/3x132 lbs, under 6 RPE
8x187 lbs/1x220 lbs, 7 RPE
8x187 lbs/0x264 lbs - got a hand out, managed to fuck my bar path up on the press by pushing too straight
8x187 lbs/1x264 lbs, 10 RPE - no handout, quite a grind but apart from that not a shit show which, I’ll be honest, was a decent little victory for me today

Military press supersetted with rope lat pulldowns
Press 3x6x137 lbs, 7, 8 and 8-9 RPE
Pulldowns 3x12x100 lbs - these are getting waaay easier, weight will go up soon

Seated alternating DB hammer curls 3x9 RPEx25 lbs, short rests - this really seems a better way to get a good pump

DB tricep rollovers 3x9 RPEx25 lbs - still stoopid hard, definitely keeping them for a while

Tomorrow I am really looking forward to not training and also getting a better sleep. Then squats on Thursday (which I admit I’m looking forward to)

9 Likes

Woke at 191.8 lbs, looking decent.

1 Like

Major win: found a solution to my upcoming rack/block pulls. I wasn’t imaginative - I thought only of floor mats or wood or MDF boards stuck together to the right thickness, all of which aren’t exactly cheap. So we went to our recycling centre, and I was about to despair when I came across a ton of carpet tiles. Fucking beauty! I got around 50 cm worth at 50 cents a pop. I’ll make two 10 cm blocks, two five cm blocks and two two and a half cm blocks. That’ll leave me with 15 cm of individual tiles for small adjustments.

6 Likes

So I underestimated the height. I got two 10 cm blocks and two five cm blocks, which is still awesome. Now I’m just waiting to see if the adhesives hold.

If not, there is always duct tape!

2 Likes

Gaffer tape is the answer to everything

2 Likes

Hey Mark, what kind of support gear (suits/ briefs) do you use? I am doing some looking around for fun and want to buy a deadlift suit or briefs in the future eventually.

1 Like

I’ve got a pair of Titan Centurion boxer briefs and a really old, really loose Marathon deadlift suit. I like both, and combined they’re pretty damn cool.

The briefs are actually really easy to get on and easy enough to get off (around five minutes each). They’re not super loose, but not overly tight. According to the sizing chart on Lifting Large I got the mid-range fit: not loose but no super tight.

What you get is really down to what you want to do. I’d almost suggest getting a squat suit with adjustable straps, because you can always use it with the straps down. I kind of wish that’s what I’d done. Conventional wisdom would suggest getting single ply first, just to get an idea of what gear is like. I have used a pair of multiply Inzer Predator briefs once, and while very loose they felt good too.

If you can borrow some briefs or a suit that probably would be a good idea. You’d get a feel for what it’s like before spending money.

Woke at 192.9 lbs, looking the same. So, things are pretty much back to normal again. My pillow is fucked, I’ve woken up with a headache and stiff neck almost every day for the last week.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time.

I would love to borrow some but the truth is I have only met one person so far that actually trains in a suit and he was much smaller than me. Otherwise I don’t know anyone whom I could ask. That is the thing that really bothers me. I would really like to test some gear and get a feel for it but I don’t want to spend big amounts of money just to realize that it isn’t for me.

I guess I will look out if I find someone from whom I could borrow some stuff.
Even used stuff is hard to get in my size for some reason.

One option, which is far from ideal, would be to do some reverse band work I guess. The groove of the lift would be similar to wearing briefs. What it wouldn’t do is let you feel the pressure of the gear itself, which is something you don’t know until you’ve had it on. I like the feeling, but I can understand how someone else may find it off-putting.

1 Like

Hey Mark, ive got some DL footage over on my log, is there any chance you’d mind taking a look?

Off the bat i can tell my hips shoot up on sumos.

Today’s training

Lazy lifter plus shoulders

Squat, sleeves, mono

TM is 429 lbs

Work up from bar in 22 lbs x3-5 to 60%

3x297 lbs, under 6 RPE, loose belt
2x341 lbs, under 6 RPE
1x385 lbs, under 6 RPE
1x429 lbs, 6 RPE
1x473 lbs, 9 RPE

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZkCxIJhaxX/

Pleased. This was heavy, but at no point was I straining. This will be my second attempt. Wraps from next week.

Decided to ditch any backoff sets as this has been a less than optimal week in terms of sleep.

DL vs medium bands, beltless, DL bar
10x2x330 lbs
Odd sets semi sumo
Even sets conventional

Semi sumo felt better. Used straps except on set eight, hands are sore

1-2 no choke
3-4 one choke
5-6 two chokes
7-10 three chokes

STBs 3x9 RPE - first set was 11 which I think is a PR

4 Likes

Woke at 192.5 lbs, looking the same as usual

1 Like

One funny thing I’ve noticed (and it’s kind of well duh, TBH) is that now I eat all my carbs around training on training days, two things happen:

• I get around 300 grams of carbs in a three to four hour window; and
  • I eat around three quarters of my daily calories in that window.
3 Likes

I basically do the same thing. I get 90% of my daily calories in between 630am and 1230pm (lift at 5am). Whatever works man!

2 Likes

Today’s training

Lazy lifter plus shoulders

CGBP

TM is 236 lbs

Work up from bar in 22 lbs x3-5 to 60%, 20 pull aparts between sets

3x165 lbs, under 6 RPE
3x187 lbs, under 6 RPE
1x214 lbs, 6 RPE
2x236 lbs, 9-10 RPE

DB bench supersetted with DB rows
Press 10x80 lbs at 6 RPE, 10x90 lbs (lost right backwards on five, so really 2x5) at 10 RPE, 10x80 lbs at 9 RPE
Rows 3x10x125 lbs with straps to let my palms recover

Pull-up ladder
1-5 varying grips at bodyweight, ditched the 5-1 as my lats were fried by now

Dead stop hammer curls off thighs 3x9 RPEx25 lbs

PJR pullovers 3x9 RPEx65 lbs

Done in an hour and 20 minutes or so. Pushed the pace hard.

5 Likes

Weekly highlights

8 Likes

Today’s achievement: three completed cryptic crosswords and counting.

5 Likes

Hungry AF come dinner time so decided to add some carbs. Ended up being an extra 750 calories or so: P 215/C 474/F 82.

This is happening more and more often. Perhaps I should up my calories a bit; or up my willpower (except despite having these extra carb days I seem to be maintaining my level of leanness).

2 Likes