MarkKO's Training Log

I think that might be a mistake. I don’t think walking is enough.
This i personal but I think that bringing the heartrate up at least once a week is very important.
But I will follow this, and see how it goes. Especially on your body and how you’ll look in a couple of weeks. :slight_smile:
Keep up the great work and I’ts great that we can get an insight of your thoughts on why you change things. Great.

1 Like

Interestingly, part of the dropping conditioning is because I should really be able to maintain this level of leanness without it.

I’ll definitely add it back in eventually, but at the moment I’m leaving it out.

3 Likes

Early morning training. Joy. It’s actually OK.

Today’s training

Lazy lifter plus shoulders

Equipped swuat

TM is 407 lbs

Work up from bar in 44 lbs x3-5 to 60%, briefs on at 60% - first couple of sets felt nasty AF, but cleaned up quickly. Also worked on sitting back into the briefs (and suit) and keeping shins more vertical

3x286 lbs, under 6 RPE, open belt, briefs
3x324 lbs, under 6 RPE, briefs, suit straps down
1x368 lbs, under 6 RPE, briefs, suit straps up
1x407 lbs, under 6 RPE
2x3x451 lbs, 6-7 and 8-9 RPE - strained my lower back a little on the first set, so arguably the second set was not the wisest decision I’ve ever made but no harm no foul, etc. I think it was mostly just being unused to sitting back as much because I had difficulty doing it on the last set.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYJupT1Fc4N/

Low box squats in briefs, beltless 3x5x286 lbs, under 6, under 6 and 6 RPE - lower back was watched with eagle like intensity but behaved. Finally getting some pop off the box too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYJtT85F-gR/

Oly SGDL 3x10x220 lbs - back held up fine it’s only tweaked when hyperextending

Abs/shoulders
Lateral raises 2x10x25 lbs - more muscle contraction
Decline sit-ups with 11 lbs 2x15

A bunch of reverse hypers at 88 lbs because that’s what was on it

4 Likes

Interesting, actually very different to what C. Thibs said in an article on here once. Then again in the same article he said he knew a guy who could curl his hand into a fist and let a car drive over it so shrugs.
I’ve always done it very tightly and never found that it makes it more comfortable, I feel like you just adapt to it over time. Will give a more relaxed style a try, thanks.

1 Like

OK, so that second set of squats thereafter was not my best idea. I’ve done something to my left erector/upper glute whatever the hell muscle sits atop and to the left of the top of my buttcrack. I’ve been getting occasional spasm-y sort of things at random moments, generally whenever I’m sort of extending my lower back or lying flat and rolling onto my left side or trying to cross my left foot over my right leg. Similar happens when effectively locking out a DL or squat, at the top.

Best guesses:

• pulled whatever muscle that is;
  • simply a result of sitting back and leaning forward in the squat with more weight than I’m used to;
  • went a little too deep a little too fast with too much weight, straining that muscle

I’m going with a combination of one and two. Not the end of the world. Unless things are a shit sandwich I’ll train as normal tomorrow, but definitely leave DL until Tuesday next week. That’ll hopefully be enough time for things to calm down.

3 Likes

I just saw this… Take care of yourself man.

3 Likes

Woke at 190.3 lbs, looking quite tight. Slept like garbage because munchkin was sick and having a rough night. Back is feeling better though, which is a huge bonus.

2 Likes

Ditched training today. I’m tired AF with a slight cold and it’ll do my back good to do nothing. I might go in tomorrow.

4 Likes

Hit the missus up for a back rub when the munchkin goes to bed… It is Friday night :wink:

3 Likes

She offered, but it’s not something massage would help. Taking the day off has, however. I’ve done this before so I know the drill. Last time was worse, I couldn’t roll over in bed without using the headboard for leverage.

2 Likes

That’s like when I can’t sit up in bed without the kids pulling me up !!! :wink:

1 Like

Just caught back up with your log. Looking strong dude.
I’m not super familiar with geared lifting, but I do know some of the guys that lift equipped, near me, often have the similar issue you felt in your back. Could it be your QL?

2 Likes

It could be. I have no idea what a QL is apart from something that hurts some guys. Whatever it is it’s clearing up.

Also, thank you.

Woke at 192.3 lbs pre-emptying. Looking a tad softer, which didn’t surprise me as I was a bit lower on carbs yesterday. It seems like my minimum carb intake is 250 grams from primary (?) sources like potatoes, oats, etc, preferably closer to 300 grams. I had under 240 grams yesterday.

Lower back feeling tight now more than off, which is an improvement. Still debating whether to go in or not today.

1 Like

Ended up going in pressed for time, which worked out well.

Today’s training

Lazy lifter

CGBP, Texas squat bar

TM is 225 lbs

5xbar
5x143 lbs, under 6 rpe
5x231 lbs, 9-10 RPE - go figure. Seems my CGBP with squat bar has gotten stronger. Nice way to round off six weeks with it

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYPzSiPlScM/

DB bench supersetted with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 pull-up ladder
10x60 lbs - way too easy
4x10x70 lbs - bang on, last few reps on last sets were hard

Left it there. Back feeling better for it. Took around 40 minutes at most.

5 Likes

Here are the week’s highlights

4 Likes

quadratus lumborum.
Sorry.

1 Like

Woke at 192.7 lbs, looking about the same as yesterday. Kind of watery is about it. Back is a little better again. Slept less than well, woke around midnight with a ton of pain and pressure in my left ear. Pain is pretty much gone, but pressure is still there.

1 Like

Got you. Thanks.

I sometimes wake with a pain in my left ear, it just depends which side of the bed she is sleeping on !!!

1 Like