MarkKO's Training Log

Woke at 191.4 lbs but looking good. Either I’ve got rose tinted glasses on or something weird is happening, although this is probably veggie weight and salt.

1 Like

@Koestrizer it feels the same but different. Squat is a bit like wearing wraps, except there is a less noticeable point where the rebound dies off. Also, the groove is a bit different in where you work when fatigued: my glutes and hamstrings take a ton of strain in briefs and suit when I’m getting tired, which seems unique to that. It’s also harder to stop butttwink although there is no additional back strain I can tell. For deadlift I’ve only used the briefs so far. Sumo is noticeably very different, off the floor and setting up is much easier. It gets tough around the knees.

@mortdk that sounds like a cool variation. I’ve considered doing something a bit similar with training maximally for days where I won’t set a rep PR but want volume. That would go TM for something like 3x5, but I haven’t really tried it except once for bench.

@Irishman92 @2busy couldn’t get my belt done up because my shirt was too baggy.

@FlatsFarmer thanks. I did consider widening my stance to keep vertical shins but at the moment I want to keep it as close to my comp squat as possible. Definitely felt different to a free squat but in a very good way.

1 Like

Oh, and I have found a shirt: size 46 Titan F6 brand new for effectively half price. Paying next week, so next cycle will see me introduce shirted bench. Next in line, a fitting suit - although with briefs and the loose DL suit that’s less urgent.

So I’m going to drop this here because it seems the least likely place to get noticed and may actually help you.

I’m on this epic road trip and part of that is because I hate my job and marriage and life and everything else.

I dropped an RV in Sedona and drove to California and got arrested for DUI.

I’ve been on anti depressants before and got off because I didn’t want to be medicated, then went on medicating myself with beers.

Anyhoo, feeling grateful that I didn’t kill anybody, but realize I need to reach out to friends, something I’m uncomfortable with.

So, Markko, you’re not alone. If it makes you feel any better, I’m likely to lose my license and my job, but am grateful to be breathing every day.

I was just catching up on your log after a while and thought I’d pop in.

Keep plugging bro!

7 Likes

Well FUCK! You OK @The_Myth? That sucks.

Yer agree that sucks big time @The_Myth hope you ok man

1 Like

I know, I read that in the log. I was trying to have some fun, lol

1 Like

I always though he did that to release stretch reflex but for sure he considers the movement a leg curl not so much a squat…

Knowing nothing of geared lifting I think box squatting for raw lifters should mimic their squat as close as possible and the box is a tool to either limit or find depth or to do pause squats.

Buuuut @MarkKO you still raw these days or are you joining the other dark side? :smiley:

1 Like

I like to spread myself evenly over all sides :joy:

I have this feeling gear will add a bunch to my raw lifts. Plus it’s plain damn fun.

1 Like

Thankfully, Mark is pretty good at only doing stuff that works. I know he’ll get something out of it, or drop it.

Like I said, breathing. Still have to drive the RV 1300 miles, then a car 3000 miles to get back to Long Island.

Just trying to keep things in perspective.

2 Likes

Woke at 190.7 lbs, looking pretty much identical to every other day in a while.

2 Likes

Now that I’ll have a bench shirt for next cycle, I should probably figure out what to do.

Two things spring to mind: one, as far as I can tell shirts are harder to learn than briefs; and two, I bench as a main lift twice a week. The second will help with overcoming the first. Well, ideally.

Fuck it, I’ll just plan out next cycle anyway.

Bench one

• TM increase as normal, rep targets ditto (ie 10 or as close as possible)
  • Shirted bench, comp setup - for practice in the shirt do something like three to five singles at 8 RPE at whatever weight that is - which will also be determined by what I can touch with regardless of TM - then hit it for a plus set on the last set
  • No backoff sets because of multiple singles and a plus set
  • BB military press 5x5-8 - that’ll cover no backoff sets, and it’s time to rotate my overhead work
  • BB rows stay, up the load to 165 lbs for 5x8-10 - chances are I’ll end up supersetting these with press
  • rope lat pulldowns stay, maybe change load and reps
  • bis/tris I’ll probably keep exercises but up the load to 60 lbs for 10 and 15 respectively

DL

• TM increase as normal, rep target also 10 or as close as possible
  • sumo in briefs, possibly suit as well
  • backoff sets go back to deficit conventional
  • squats I’ll carry over low box squats, but go 5x5 in briefs and belt so load will be 341 lbs to start with and may increase
  • reverse hyper stays
  • kb rope upright rows and standing cable crunches stay

Bench two

• TM increase as normal, rep targets also
  • CGBP stays, ditto for backoff sets
  • dips are weighted for 25 total reps, weight TBC and I might play it by ear on the day as to weight anyway
  • DB rows up in the air, either keep 3x10 or a heavy PR set and a 20 rep backoff set or something, again might play by ear on the day
  • definitely keep varying width grip pull-up ladder
  • definitely keep dead stop hammer curls off thigh and PJR pullovers, but loads and reps may change

Squat

• TM increase as normal, rep target as normal
  • backoff sets narrow stance again I think, just seems to work
  • oly SGDL stays, but weight probably goes up
  • unsure about step-ups, might go back to split squats or something
  • weighted decline sit-ups and lateral raises stay
6 Likes

Looking forward to seeing how the equipped work affects your raw numbers. May be a new trend in the making!!

2 Likes

It’ll be interesting. I think it’ll take a while to find out exactly which bit does what but I have time.

Mark, you have a slingshot right ? What’s the difference from a bench shirt ? Does the shirt give you more out of the bottom ?

Woke at 189.6 lbs, looking a little flatter but probably just a little dehydrated.

I do, but it’s the weakest one. It doesn’t give that much extra at all. Plus I plain want to learn how to use a shirt.

1 Like

What’s an olympic snatch grip SLDL? Is it a Russian deadlift?

Also I gotta do some catching up on this log, every single time I take a break from reading it there are literally hundreds of entries for me to check out!

1 Like

Slept long and reasonably well, but groggy AF on waking. Probably due to some codeine, and generally having not slept well for a few days.

Today’s training

Lazy lifter

Conventional DL, stiff bar, raw

TM is 451 lbs

Work up from 132 lbs in 44 lbs x3-5 to 60%, varying grip pull-ups for fives between sets

3x313 lbs, under 6 RPE, beltless, double overhand
1x363 lbs, under 6 RPE, beltless, double overhand - grip a bit off, normal if I’m tired
1x407 lbs, under 6 RPE, hook grip - surprisingly comfortable
8x451 lbs, 9 RPE, straps - proud of this given how sub-par I was feeling. Ran out of gas, didn’t want to grind too much. Nine or 10 next week.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXwRw0XlXbW/

Sumo DL paused off the floor, beltless, straps
3x3x313 lbs, under 6, 6 and 7 RPE with short breaks

SSB squat, close stance, beltless
3x10x275 lbs, 6, 6-7, 7-8 RPE, no hands sets two and three because I felt like it and was too lazy to hold on

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXwWuABFYba/

Reverse hyper 3x25x286 lbs

Abs/shoulders
Standing cable crunches 3x20x77 lbs
Rope kb upright rows 3x20x35 lbs

Calves standing raises 3x20x300 lbs, start with 10ish second stretch, then full stretch every rep, sets two and three rest/pause

2 Likes